• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We'd need a lot more information to really answer this question, but the most likely reason is that it was actually a different person declaring war. Truces are between people, not political units. If a new king took the throne of England, he could declare war regardless of what truces the old king had.

Besides, I'd guess the computer can break truces just like the player can, if something's important enough.

My king of Ireland died and had 3 male sons of the same wife, so my firstborn inherited the kingdom. But England made a war against me supporting my second brother claim to the throne so I insta-surrender because I was having a succession crisis. After a year England made the same thing but with the third brother claim...
Thanks for the response!

EDIT: And we can break truces???

Last edited:
I seem to remember this featuring but cannot find it again...

Is it possible to view the breakdown of how the levy is distributed between yourself, duchy and kingdom? I am sure I found a tooltip for it but cannot, for the love of my life, find it again.

I assume that you're talking about the "Realm Tree", which is right by your Dynasty Tree and Family Tree buttons.

EDIT: And we can break truces???

Yes, you can break truces. Though other rulers which share a religion with the person whose truce you break will dislike you. Therefore, it's fine to do against muslims and pagans, but you don't really want to do it against Catholics, because the Pope is a Catholic ruler and, as a Catholic, you really don't want to make him angry...

I started out as the king of Castille for my first game, but I've had real trouble containing the Muslims as they just keep gaining territory on the Iberian peninsula. Even when my fellow Spanish rulers ask me to join in in their defensive wars to protect their territory, we can't seem to be able to hold them off. Is there any way to contain them or should I just re-roll as another king?

If you can hold the muslims off for long enough, you'll gain access to holy orders. With those, the muslim battles become significantly easier. Ideally, you could hire them for a defensive war (IIRC, they don't cost any maintenance for those), use them to defeat the enemy's armies and siege all their (and their allies' holdings). Then make peace and, if you can afford their maintenance fee (either directly, because you upgraded your demesne's economic buildings right away, or with the help of siege loot and ransomed prisoners), immediately declare offensive wars against the territories you had just sieged. Assault their weakened garrisons quickly, and overrun their weakened armies. Break your truces and take Iberia in a whirlwind of blood and sword.

Note: I last played in Iberia during version 1.04c.

What's the best way to go about doing this as Emperor? I thought that installing my daughter to the throne of Georgia would make her a vassal of the empire, but that didn't work.

When a member of your dynasty *inherits* a title, it does not become your vassal. When you go to war and press a member of your dynasty's claim for a title, *then* that title becomes your vassal (assuming they are not, then, of an equal or higher rank to yourself).

Therefore, you can try again to get somebody in your dynasty to get claims to the kingdom, and then war to push those claims.

The easier way is to go to the kingdom's claimants screen and invite a claimant to your court (or marry them in such a way that they end up in your court - this usually involves assassinating their current spouse first). Then land that claimant somewhere within your de jure territory (lots of options here, when you're the ERE). Then press that landed claimant's claim, via war.

Alternatively, if the heir to the kingdom is within your empire, you can land that heir with a kingdom (if you're really devious, you'll land him/her with a titular kingdom). When the heir inherits the other kingdom, that other kingdom will become a vassal of yours. (it works for other titles too - you can land the heir to an outside duchy with a duchy. It does *not*, however, work if they are heir to a higher title and they are landed as a lower title. For instance, a count who is your vassal but heir to an external duchy will bring the county out of your realm when (s)he inherits the duchy.) You can then revoke one of the kingdoms to maintain balance in your realm (they probably won't let it go without a fight).

Finally, you can conquer the external kingdom, duchy by duchy, county by county, until you get 50% of it and can usurp it.

2 questions, this is my first game of Ck2. I forged claims on a county in another country, and after the war I got the county, but not the cities/churches inside of it. Seems I have to go to war twice more to get them all. But I forged claims on another county in from the same kingdom earlier, and I got all of it when I won the war. Why is it different this time?

Second, I tried to vassalize one of the holy orders. Fist I invited the hier of one to my court and gave him land, and killed the old grandmaster. But it didn't work. Secondly, once I killed that old grandmaster the new grandmaster was both grandmaster and heir to grandmastery. So I killed the other leaders of the Holy Orders and same thing happened, the new Grandmasters became their own heirs. Is that supposed to happen?

Really sorry for such a simple question, but for the life of me I can't find a way to get back the alerts in the top left corner after disabling them.

EDIT: Under High Priority Messages and Low Priority Messages there is an "Outline" with different messages. Click the "configuration" button. Select "Disabled Alerts". Click the Disabled Alert that you want to enable.

Last edited:
Really sorry for such a simple question, but for the life of me I can't find a way to get back the alerts in the top left corner after disabling them.

Just go to the side panel with your territories in it, add "Disabled hints" to the panel, and click on them to restore them.

2 questions, this is my first game of Ck2. I forged claims on a county in another country, and after the war I got the county, but not the cities/churches inside of it. Seems I have to go to war twice more to get them all. But I forged claims on another county in from the same kingdom earlier, and I got all of it when I won the war. Why is it different this time?

Second, I tried to vassalize one of the holy orders. Fist I invited the hier of one to my court and gave him land, and killed the old grandmaster. But it didn't work. Secondly, once I killed that old grandmaster the new grandmaster was both grandmaster and heir to grandmastery. So I killed the other leaders of the Holy Orders and same thing happened, the new Grandmasters became their own heirs. Is that supposed to happen?

1) Check the other holdings in your contested county. Check who is holding them and who their top-most liege is. I'm guessing that their top-most liege is a different country than the country that you went to war with. The ultimate rulers of sub-holdings can get complicated after a few generations of inheritances and independence revolts.

2) IIRC, holy orders have an open elective succession. Which means that their inheritance is completely unpredictable and impossible for you to tidily control. They will just keep making new people out of the aether as their old people get killed, and the heir will change whenever their independence is threatened. I've never managed to vassalize one (though I also have never put much effort into it) - I imagine it's only remotely possible if you are an emperor and share the same culture as their grandmaster.

1) Check the other holdings in your contested county. Check who is holding them and who their top-most liege is. I'm guessing that their top-most liege is a different country than the country that you went to war with. The ultimate rulers of sub-holdings can get complicated after a few generations of inheritances and independence revolts.

1) Nope, they all belong to Denmark, which is who I went to war with for the county itself. Guess I'll just give the king of denmark back his land, and then re-conquer it from him again. Faster then waiting 20 years for the truces to expire if I want to take each city by themselves.

How do you get your character to go heretic?

by either having a court chaplain who tries to convert you or by letting your heir be educated by a heretic and hoping that he will turn out a heretic or swearing fealty to a heretic liege and then changing to his religion.

Hi guys, brought the game recently on steam. Loving it so far but I have a couple of questions:

1. I found that hiring the Holy Orders was a good ideal when fighting the muslims. However in my recent war in northern Iberia. I don't know whats happening but my Order Army is just randomly disappearing on me at a certain point. I reloaded etc and it happens everytime? Is there something I'm missing? A time limit perhaps?

2. To get past the negatives of Gravekind (is that spelt right lol?). I came up with an ingenious plan (or at least I thought), what I did was as soon as I became King I gave all my duchies, counties, titles (except King ships) except for one Duchy to my Heir. This of course makes him extremely happy lol, and he is by far and large the most powerful person in the realm (I have managed to get rid of most of my vassals in favor of this two rulers system).

This has worked for me for 3 generations now, the King being not very powerful, but it basically means that I can run Gravekind without losing everything every time. However with my most recent King, my son randomly declares war on me, a war of Albanic Independence (he took the Duchy of Albany as his primary title, even though he owns all of Scotland, most of Ireland, parts of lower France, and the Kingdom of Jerusalem).

I just don't get why he is rebelling, as this is the first kid to do it. He is 100 relations with me and I with him. He is has the position in court that he wanted etc, and he is the sole heir of everything anyway. He gains absolutely nothing from this war.

So whats up? I thought I was on to something good here haha.

3. How/why do you make war for more than one county? I saw an option in one way to "Press all Claims" or something like that. But I haven't seen it since, and well I just got the Kingdom of Jerusalem and there are many many places I need to take to complete it, against powerful Muslim nations. But there is no "Press all" option, it looks like I have to do it one county at a time, and wait for the truce thing each time???? Is there away round this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi guys, brought the game recently on steam. Loving it so far but I have a couple of questions:

1. I found that hiring the Holy Orders was a good ideal when fighting the muslims. However in my recent war in northern Iberia. I don't know whats happening but my Order Army is just randomly disappearing on me at a certain point. I reloaded etc and it happens everytime? Is there something I'm missing? A time limit perhaps?

2. To get past the negatives of Gravekind (is that spelt right lol?). I came up with an ingenious plan (or at least I thought), what I did was as soon as I became King I gave all my duchies, counties, titles (except King ships) except for one Duchy to my Heir. This of course makes him extremely happy lol, and he is by far and large the most powerful person in the realm (I have managed to get rid of most of my vassals in favor of this two rulers system).

This has worked for me for 3 generations now, the King being not very powerful, but it basically means that I can run Gravekind without losing everything every time. However with my most recent King, my son randomly declares war on me, a war of Albanic Independence (he took the Duchy of Albany as his primary title, even though he owns all of Scotland, most of Ireland, parts of lower France, and the Kingdom of Jerusalem).

I just don't get why he is rebelling, as this is the first kid to do it. He is 100 relations with me and I with him. He is has the position in court that he wanted etc, and he is the sole heir of everything anyway. He gains absolutely nothing from this war.

So whats up? I thought I was on to something good here haha.

3. How/why do you make war for more than one county? I saw an option in one way to "Press all Claims" or something like that. But I haven't seen it since, and well I just got the Kingdom of Jerusalem and there are many many places I need to take to complete it, against powerful Muslim nations. But there is no "Press all" option, it looks like I have to do it one county at a time, and wait for the truce thing each time???? Is there away round this?

Thanks in advance

1. Is there a crusade? Sometimes they'll join a crusade and abandon you.

2. Gavelkind. The problems are that your heir might give away land above his demesne limit, and that the "granted land" opinion modifiers wear off. The plot is nonsensical, I agree. Is he wroth by any chance? :p

3. Press all claims only works for personal claims (i.e. ones shown on your character page.) You cannot use that option for the claims of your vassals/courtiers, de jure claims, holy wars, or any other CB.

1. Is there a crusade? Sometimes they'll join a crusade and abandon you.

Hmmm maybe I'll check that, at least that's something legit I thought it was a bug, at the time it seriously screwed me over and I had to white peace cause I didn't have another army anywhere near the area lol.

2. Gavelkind. The problems are that your heir might give away land above his demesne limit, and that the "granted land" opinion modifiers wear off. The plot is nonsensical, I agree. Is he wroth by any chance? :p

They give away lands? Hmm might have to look at that, cause I haven't noticed them giving away anything for the 3 or 4 times I've done it. That would ruin the plan if they gave away titles themselves lol.

I heard elective is awesome, might just change to that and be done with it lol. Would a family realm work? (No counts or Duke who aint family?)

I'll check if he is wroth, I was just like what the hell the King is 77, just wait a few years and you'll get it all for free man lol. Which in his case is only one more duchy and a fancy crown lol.

3. Press all claims only works for personal claims (i.e. ones shown on your character page.) You cannot use that option for the claims of your vassals/courtiers, de jure claims, holy wars, or any other CB.

Ah, that sucks. So I have to do a million mini wars in the Holy Land lol? I think they should just use the EU3 war diplomacy thing, makes more sense to me, you know huge negatives if you press more than your claims etc.

As time goes by, you will be getting War Score just for holding them, yes.

So the war (w/ Byzantine Empire) has been going for 3 years now, still nothing for holding the counties the war is being fought over. I have 30% of warscore due to capturing his main Barony and 9% from various battles for 39%. Should I just white peace, which he's willing to do? It will give me some prestige. If I can enforce my demands he loses the claim and pays me 2000 gold. It seems worth it.

Ah, that sucks. So I have to do a million mini wars in the Holy Land lol? I think they should just use the EU3 war diplomacy thing, makes more sense to me, you know huge negatives if you press more than your claims etc.

Holy wars give you entire duchies, so no, not a million. :)

EDIT: To be precise, Holy Wars give you all the counties of a de jure duchy in which the defendent holds counties (he does not have to have the duchy title). So if he has the duchy split between himself and another sovereign ruler, you get only the counties in his realm. It still makes expansion very quick.

So the war (w/ Byzantine Empire) has been going for 3 years now, still nothing for holding the counties the war is being fought over. I have 30% of warscore due to capturing his main Barony and 9% from various battles for 39%. Should I just white peace, which he's willing to do? It will give me some prestige. If I can enforce my demands he loses the claim and pays me 2000 gold. It seems worth it.

2000 gold is a lot, even if you have short-term costs due to mercenaries. :) I'd say, wait it out if you can; can you maybe extend the war to Crete or someplace?

Every subsequent fair and hunt i host has its cost increase by maybe half a gold piece or so

is there some modifier that makes it more expensive, like the more prestige you currently have, or is it that it simply gets more expensive if you call them consecutively each year?

I think this has been asked many times, but it is a bit tiring to go through a hounded pages to look. Its about alliances and such and the desire for a better alliance.
As Norway I have taken England, a chunk of Scotland, Finland, and I invaded Denmark on a claim for a Danish princess. So now me and lady Denmark is the best of friends.
I want to start messing around with Ireland and the rest of Scotland, and thus I would like to make sure I wont get any problems with Sweden. There are no Swedish royalty
or noblemen with claims on any of my provinces or thrones, but still they dont think I'm worth an alliance despite having a stronger millitary and more land than them, also more
prestige. I'm also allied with Byzantium and they dont have ill feelings for Sweden and vice versa.

So, how on earth can I get an alliance with Sweden?