• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing as duke Robert of Apulia and my goal is to unite in to the Kingdom of Sicily. I don't need Salerno to do this, but I'd like it. My aim is to get it by forcing the count to agree to swear fealty to me, chiefly because he is married to my niece and hence an ally. I could attack him but it would be messy and I prefer a diplomatic solution.

To force his hand I need to have higher rank than him. I figured this meant prestige, and I have a higher rate of gain than he does yet I can not surpass his prestige. It is almost as if he gains more than he should be gaining and I can never catch him.

Where is he getting prestige from?

If I enact the Kingdom of Sicilly will that alter things. It will cost me but if it is worth doing then the cost is justified.

It doesn't mean his prestige, it means his rank tier. You're the Duke of Apulia; he's the Duke of Salerno. You're equals.

Forming the Kingdom of Sicily will make you higher in rank and give you the option of asking him to become a vassal, but he's unlikely to do so. Firstly, you won't be much more powerful than him, and secondly I believe his culture is Italian and yours Norman, which will make him very reluctant.

So the latest patch fixed the change of inheritance laws that occurred when your heir held a mayoral title and then inherited after your character's death. However, I noticed that when he rises to his new position, the city to which he held title becomes the capital of the county in which it sits, despite the fact that the capital had been the barony prior to the succession. So while he holds both titles (my original character had held the barony and granted the city to the son), I'm now constrained to keep the city if I want the county title since it's the capital. Otherwise, I have to grant the city to someone else, and then revoke it in order for the barony to be restored as the capital, and then hand the city's title back out again. Is this working as intended?

Good day. I wish to propose a few questions to you; hopefully you can all point me in the right direction!

Laws: I wish to pass a law that makes my feudal lords (castle owners, right?) pay a small amount of tax towards my realm. It's not good that they can get away without paying anything! Unfortunately I don't have quite enough supporters to pass the law. Is it purely my counts and dukes that have the vote towards the law passing? And to pass the law, I have to improve the opinion of my vassal dukes and counts?

Baronies: There's a bit of confusion about these that the tutorial doesn't cover very well. Although my character (King of Leon, btw) is count of a land and owns the capital of the county, the other settlements within the land aren't owned by him. Say for example there is the capital castle (which pays no tax because the law hasn't been passed) and an additional city and temple, owned by a mayor and bishop respectively. How much money do these give me? Is it purely dependant on the tax laws? And can I squeeze more money out of these people by building upgrades? And how much extra money would I be earning if I owned the land myself, without a mayor or bishop?

Can someone explain how the local revolt risk modifier of -10% only shows up some of the time after putting down a rebellion?

I see a neighboring county I own to the county in question where I put down a rebellion has the modifier, but the county I saved just now, does not.

Does the revolt risk in the county have to be severe enough to quality for the boost or is it totally random?

Last edited:
What is your capital good for? I started playing as Barcelona, and conquered down go Granada. My capital is still Barcelona, why would I want to move it? What effect does being the capital of your duchy/kingdom have? (there are other counties I own that have much better technology numbers but they still have the 'recently conquered' penalties, is this important for a capital?)
EDIT: meta-question: I see in my little icons under my forum name that I have CK2 and CK2 holy knight (most people have both I see), what's this holy knight thing? :)

Capitol can be very good to keep multiple Councillors busy in - e.g. if as von Habsburg you become King of Burgundy and really build up Burgoyne (3 empty spots) you might want to move your capitol there. I think that under Gavelkind your heir get the capitol always? I know he gets the main title.

Holy Knight registered within 3 days of release.

Good day. I wish to propose a few questions to you; hopefully you can all point me in the right direction!

Laws: I wish to pass a law that makes my feudal lords (castle owners, right?) pay a small amount of tax towards my realm. It's not good that they can get away without paying anything! Unfortunately I don't have quite enough supporters to pass the law. Is it purely my counts and dukes that have the vote towards the law passing? And to pass the law, I have to improve the opinion of my vassal dukes and counts?

Baronies: There's a bit of confusion about these that the tutorial doesn't cover very well. Although my character (King of Leon, btw) is count of a land and owns the capital of the county, the other settlements within the land aren't owned by him. Say for example there is the capital castle (which pays no tax because the law hasn't been passed) and an additional city and temple, owned by a mayor and bishop respectively. How much money do these give me? Is it purely dependant on the tax laws? And can I squeeze more money out of these people by building upgrades? And how much extra money would I be earning if I owned the land myself, without a mayor or bishop?

There's a button in the voting screen that calls up a list of opponents. The rule seems to be that they'll support the law if relations are 50+. Everyone in your de jure kingdom can vote, which as Leon means you might have Muslims opposing you.

Barony income depends on the tax value of the holding, which you can raise by building improvements, multiplied by the percentage given by the tax laws. Mayors pay less than full tax if relations are negative. Bishops pay no tax at all if they like the Pope more than you. You can see relations on the Vassals tab of your character page.

With the patch, there's a -75% tax penalty for holldings of the wrong type (towns and bishoprics, for a feudal lord), so it's almost never a good idea to take them over.

How do you move your capital?

My vassals do it all the time but I can't without giving away my counties and then it just moves to the next one down the list...

How do you move your capital?

My vassals do it all the time but I can't without giving away my counties and then it just moves to the next one down the list...

Select the county you want for your capital, and click the little crown icon next to its name in the county window. You have to own it directly, obviously.

Im playing as William the conqueror. I became King, but now my sons hate me. why is that?

It doesn't mean his prestige, it means his rank tier. You're the Duke of Apulia; he's the Duke of Salerno. You're equals.

Forming the Kingdom of Sicily will make you higher in rank and give you the option of asking him to become a vassal, but he's unlikely to do so. Firstly, you won't be much more powerful than him, and secondly I believe his culture is Italian and yours Norman, which will make him very reluctant.

He's just the count of Salerno which is why I was believing it was prestige. Not that it matters any more. Duke Robert just snuffed it and I'm now duke Roger of Apulia.

I lost half of my dukedom too, and I am failing to understand how, or why, it happened. I had a message to say that I would lose counties on succession, but I saw no way around the fact because I was at my limit for desmenses, hence the reason they were given to members of my dynasty at the time.

He's just the count of Salerno which is why I was believing it was prestige. Not that it matters any more. Duke Robert just snuffed it and I'm now duke Roger of Apulia.

I lost half of my dukedom too, and I am failing to understand how, or why, it happened. I had a message to say that I would lose counties on succession, but I saw no way around the fact because I was at my limit for desmenses, hence the reason they were given to members of my dynasty at the time.

Salerno is a two county duchy, which means that a Count of Salerno can usurp the title. Are you sure that you, as a Duke, were getting a 'must be higher rank' issue with a Count?

Salerno is a two county duchy, which means that a Count of Salerno can usurp the title. Are you sure that you, as a Duke, were getting a 'must be higher rank' issue with a Count?

Hmm I think I got it arse about face. I was presuming that swear fealty was asking the count of Salerno to swear fealty to me, but it was the other way round. The tooltip says I must have a lower rank. I can offer vassalisation (which I guess would be the other way round) but he'll refuse.

Now I feel stupid.

That clears that up. I just wish I understood this rule of inheritance upon succession. It makes no sense to me.

As duke Robert I am told I will lose five titles on succession;

The duchy of Calabria (to second-in-line Guy)
The duchy of Salerno (to youngest son Gerald)
The county of Napoli (Gerald)
The county of Catanzaro (Guy)
The county of Siracusa (Gerald)

Calabria is Reggio and Messina (controlled by my brother Roger) and Catanzaro (controlled by me). So why does Guy get it on my death? Actually duke Robert's brother, Roger(not to be confused with his son and heir) gained Reggio and Messina as an independent Calabria on succession. Guy just got Catanzaro. I had Roger controlling Reggio and Messina on game start.

Salerno is made up of Salerno and Taranto (controleld by my bastard son). Salerno is independent so remains as it is, but my bastard son gains an independent Taranto?

Napoli is controlled by me and Gerald gets it. That puzzles me because the sucession for Napoli lists my son Roger as heir. I have run through to Robert's death and Gerald does get Napoli but Roger gets the duchy of Apulia. Why doesn't he get Napoli?

Siracusa an identical situation to Napoli.

On my run through to Robert's death (done to see what all this means) I also lost Trapani to Guy, even though I was not told I would do so.

In an effort to understand this I used the option to create two titles on the last save prior to Robert's death. I created the duchy of Sicily and ended up being told I'd lose more titles than without creating Sicily (losing Palermo and the second city in Palermo county, Gratteri). I also created the kingdom of Sicily and was informed I'd lose Calabria, Napoli and Catanzaro on succession, but not the Sicillian counties.

I also found Roger had only 5 possible desmense's instead of the 7 that Robert had.

I'm confused as to why all this is as it is. Is it just a case that on every succession there will be a hand out of titles? Is it Gavelkind that causes this, because I just read my law (Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind) and it says the titles are distributed amongst children? Would this mean that I can not avoid losing titles on succession, or at least until I lose Gavelkind? If it is as simple as Gavelkind causing me these problems then, again, I feel rather stupid for not noticing before.

Why does creating the Kingdom of Sicilly leave the Sicillian counties in my name?

This is one complex game...but I love it.

Last edited:
Another question. I noticed when I resign and go to the main menu, the game's checksum changes from KUMH to LUMH (and if I do it again, it changes to MUMH) is this normal behaviour? If I quit and reload the game from desktop it starts again as KUMH

This is a silly question, but i'm having trouble finding the terms to search for a relevant answer.

How do I protect children (heirs) of my king? I'm planing as King of Castille and basically he is about 50 years old and so far he's had about 5 kids with 2 different wives. All but one has died off before reaching age 4 or 5.

My basic knowledge of the game is that you use your spy master to "uncover plots". Where should I have him do this? Also what other strategies have you guys used to keep your heirs alive.

Thanks.

Anagain: Gavelkind is your problem. Your titles are distributed amongst your children, with the older children getting the better titles. If you switch to Elective, Seniority, or Primogeniture, all titles you control will go to one person. On the other hand, the people who are disinherited by the change will be... unhappy. If you do switch, remember the power of bishoprics—by making someone a bishop, they're removed from the line of succession.

Roger has a smaller demesne limit because his state stewardship is lower. State stewardship is his stewardship, plus his Steward's, plus half of his wife's.

I'm not sure why you'd expect creating the Kingdom of Sicily to change the ownership of anything within it; if you own the counties on the Island personally, they'll remain with you afterwards. Your holdings remain yours, your vassals remain your vassals, your vassals' vassals remain your vassals' vassals. Once you're a king though, you can hand out duchies and the dukes will be your vassals. Nothing changes immediately, but you gain options, prestige, the ability to subjugate dukes...

Wolfing: yes, it's supposed to. The reason is that once you've quit back to the menu, you'll get an out-of-sync error in multiplayer unless you close and restart the program. Resigning changes your checksum to prevent you from trying to join MP games you'd only crash out of.

jrallen9: Your children live in your capital until they have lands of their own, or they're invited as adults to someone else's court. Have your spymaster uncover plots there.

Another question. I noticed when I resign and go to the main menu, the game's checksum changes from KUMH to LUMH (and if I do it again, it changes to MUMH) is this normal behaviour? If I quit and reload the game from desktop it starts again as KUMH

Its been mentioned in the TECH Forum, no worries. As long as your version after download is KUMH you'll be fine. Though if you wanna do Multiplayer it seems you need to go back to desktop first if you played a game before and then restart. I'm not sure this is WorkAsDesigned(WAD) but well..

edit: double is better ;)