• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I spend a lot of money and time waiting for a claim to be fabricated, and all of a sudden the claim seems to be worthless. I own of a 2-county duchy because the emperor granted me it. I want the other county and want to press a claim. However, there is no war-option in the character profile of my vassal, nor that of her steward. I can't even select it in the emperor's profile. Is it because the HRE is still on the Low Crown setting? Is usurping the title the only way? Because I can't do that. It is forbidden by the 'rules'. :(

This other count is your vassal, right? And you now have a claim on it? In that case, click the county's flag. At the top of the screen, on one side, it should say "History" and "Claimants", or something like that. Somewhere on the other side it should say "Usurp", "Revoke", and some other stuff. Hover over the revoke button. It should say something like: she will have -80 opinion of you but because you have a claim your other vassals will not hate you; there is a 5% chance that she will revolt (note: it might be 100%, because she makes up half of your realm. But it usually seems to be 5%).

Click that button.

Is it possible to get an event for religion conversion from having an infidel at your court? Say, I could get 10 pagans to join my court using different sorts of tricks. Can they attempt to convince my ruler to convert? I know I can invite pagan mentors and educate every duke's heirs using them, but the problem is that I don't want my vassals to flip cultures.

No. Religions change by education. Or by telling your court chaplain to research cultural tech - eventually a random event will sometimes appear which says that he has converted to a heresy, and wants you to join also. If you have heretics in your court who have a high opinion of you, I believe that they also can try to convert you - though I've only ever seen them convert other courtiers. Very annoying when it's my spymaster who keeps being converted, and then I get people angry at me for having a heretic on my council - *sorry*, he wasn't a heretic when I appointed him, okay?

However, this character to character conversion only works for heresies of the character's same religion, as far as I know. You, therefore, cannot be swayed that way to a muslim or pagan religion if you are Christian.

ok, how does this work?

absolute crown law in HRE and the duke of modena has started a war against the duke of lombardia to install some guy as duke...

BUg?

Still I'm not allowed to start a war, even against heathens during a crusade...
Both Modena and Lombardia are outside of the de jure HRE, so are not subect to HRE crown laws.

Why can I not raise levies from Demense? I am King of Norway, have 2 Duchies under my control but can't raise anything? Can raise vassals but not my own.

Recently in my game I had to surrender to excommunication war and the titles went from King to me,his brother.

Are your holdings all occupied by rebels or enemy forces? Or have you *just* gotten out of a war where all of your holdings were completely sieged? Do you have an army raised somewhere, but you forget that you had it raised?

Those are the most likely explanations.

1) What long-term advantage is there in a patrilineal marriage to a rival house? It seems like all that does is to give that family a bunch of fresh blood.

2) How bad is having a larger demesne than you can have? Should I be getting rid of them asap, or should I hold on to them until someone suitable comes along? I have 11/7. As I mentioned, I'm not expansionist this game, but I do want to end up with a nice power base.

3) I'm still not entirely getting the succession system. Sometimes they change for no reason (resulting in me wasting an heir on some minor noble who's a dozen candidates away from the seat), and I saw a younger son being an heir once over an older son, when I had agnatic-cognatic primogeniture.

4) The game ends in 1453, right? It's now about 1360 in my game.

1) A patrilineal marriage with your son or daughter? With your son, it continues your dynasty. With your daughter, it gives you a one generation alliance. I highly recommend never making non-matrilineal marriages with your daughters, unless you're in a very delicate situation and the marriage will form an alliance with a major power in your vicinity. Technically, unless you have agnatic succession, they can push the daughter's claims for your lands and then, once she dies, your dynasty's lands will be their dynasty's lands. They currently seem to do that very rarely, but *I* would, so it's still a good practice to not get into.

2) I think you have 2 months after surpassing the demesne limit before anything bad happens. And then you get a -10 opinion modifier to your vassals for being over, per holding. It adds up.

3) When you win holy wars, your correct heir can get out of whack. Save the game, resign, load back up, and things should be better. Alternatively, the older son might be an unlegitimized bastard. Also, other rulers are free to change their succession laws once per lifetime, just like you, and may do so at their pleasure. Alternatively, people will plot and wage civil wars to get the succession laws changed. So, the laws change all the time. It doesn't matter so much whether the person you married into actually ends up being the heir, per se, as long as he gets claims, which you can then press, and the end result's the same.

4) Somewhere around there.

Shouldn't Kings get De Jure claims on Ducal Titles inside their kingdom? I'm playing Matilda di Canossa and I've formed the Kingdom of Italy, but there are a couple of duchies still in foreign hands(Verona and Ferrara). I have De Jure claims on the single counties, but pressing them one at a time is going to be very slow :(

I expected to find a claim for the whole duchy, but it looks like it isn't so. Is this normal?

Yes, that's normal. There are many gamey mechanics in this game that are intended to slow down expansion. For instance, it wouldn't matter that you couldn't push a de jure ducal claim *if* you could push multiple de jure county claims simultaneously. You can't do that because they wanted to slow expansion. I mean, with Ferrara and Verona, at one county per decade, I don't remember how many counties those duchies have but I'm fairly sure that you'll have them wiped out within 50 years, eh? If you were them, I'm sure you'd feel like 50 years of existence was going by waaayyyy too fast.

Is there any way to avoid "wrong government type" in territories I conquer and don't have baronies, but only have cities and churches?
Apart from spending money to build a castle I mean.
What is the best approach?

Personally, I'd give the county to a count. Unless they've changed things, you used to always get negative opinion bonuses for vassals that were lord-mayors or prince-bishops or whatever, because they had different government types than you. By giving it to somebody who is already a count, he stays a count, and you avoid that.

The alternative is to either keep it, and eventually build a castle. Or give it to an unlanded person, who would then become a lord-mayor or prince-bishop, and who would despise you for being the wrong government type. Therefore, I would transfer his vassalage to one of my dukes, so he could deal with the bother :)

It seems like I have some genetic bug in my dynasty. A LOT of my dynasty's children have died to the same disease (pseunomia?). Might be random, or an awesome feature. Don't know. :)

I do am really annoyed at my nephews who reside with their father at the bishopry. That way I can't marry them off. Is there a way to lure them back to my court, considering they don't really like me as I made a dumb decision to select a possessed heir to be my successor? He gained the perk at the last month. Whoops.

I used the invasion casus belli the HRE in the midst of a major period of unrest. The war was simple, but the "peace" is killing me. I inherited about a dozen independence wars. Most were tackled by marching around and assaulting every hold. I plotted against a few hard to reach dukes. However, for every rebellion I put down another two pop up. I've given out every honorary title and paid off everyone I could. Is there anything else I can do to end the constant stream of rebellions?

It seems like I have some genetic bug in my dynasty. A LOT of my dynasty's children have died to the same disease (pseunomia?). Might be random, or an awesome feature. Don't know. :)

I do am really annoyed at my nephews who reside with their father at the bishopry. That way I can't marry them off. Is there a way to lure them back to my court, considering they don't really like me as I made a dumb decision to select a possessed heir to be my successor? He gained the perk at the last month. Whoops.

Pneumonia tends to come when people are ill, which comes when they are stressed or depressed and have low base health. I don't think base health is congenital, but you might want to try marrying your dynasty in to people with the strong trait and educating people with brilliant strategists for a while, just in case. Alternatively, if I understand it correctly, pneumonia can pop if there's a measles outbreak. If you have one of those, well, that's just luck for you. Personally, I'm happy for you - as long as your dynasty's not at risk of dying out, random disease craziness is part of what makes this game so fun. I kind of wish diseases occurred more frequently, really, to keep things more unpredictable.

Anyway, if you go to them and try to invite them to court, it should say "no". Hover over that and it will give green +s and red -s explaining why, exactly, this guy doesn't want to come to your court. Chances are, they love their liege and feel no reason to come over to your court, so they're not going to. Your only option *usually*, that I know of, is to matrilineally marry them to somebody in your court, kill off their new wife, and then marry them to the person you really want them to be married to. However, they'll usually only accept a matrilineal marriage if it's specifically to one of your daughters, and killing off a daughter just so a distant kinsman can get married properly is ... well, it depends on your circumstances how wasteful it is.

Also, if you are selecting successors, I assume you have elective succession. You can change your nominee choice at any time, if your first choice turns out bad.

I used the invasion casus belli the HRE in the midst of a major period of unrest. The war was simple, but the "peace" is killing me. I inherited about a dozen independence wars. Most were tackled by marching around and assaulting every hold. I plotted against a few hard to reach dukes. However, for every rebellion I put down another two pop up. I've given out every honorary title and paid off everyone I could. Is there anything else I can do to end the constant stream of rebellions?

There are many reasons that they might be rebelling. Depending on the cause off their restlessness, the best solution might differ. I can, therefore, only offer generic advice: keep the dukes that you defeat locked tightly in prison - don't release or ransom them. If you don't care about your crown authority, you can surrender to a few of the worst revolts. I'm pretty sure that you get claims on successful breakaways, which you can press once things quiet down internally. Obviously, if you keep them locked up, there's only so many "another two pop up"s that can happen before everyone is in jail. Once things are calm, then you can start stripping titles (assuming your crown authority still allows it). Don't do that until after the storm, however, because it will make the imprisoned dukes hate you even more, which means less troops that you can draw from them - and you'll need all you can get during the crisis.

Could you hover the mouse over the relations towards you in each rebelling person portrait and see which are the negative modifiers? That could help a lot to understand where the problem is.

2) I think you have 2 months after surpassing the demesne limit before anything bad happens. And then you get a -10 opinion modifier to your vassals for being over, per holding. It adds up.
This and if your demesne limit is way over, like the said 11/7, thieves guilds, highwaymen and other nasty business will start appearing in your counties which results in penalties to tax and levies, probably increases revolt risk too.
Also, even before these start appearing, your monthly income becomes lower than what it could be.

To get an Invasion granted by the Pope I either need a claim on the throne or be less powerful
What is power defined by? Count vs Duke vs King or an measure of power/wealth/Vassels?

Most of penalties things like Foreigner and Desires "X." There are also a lot of ambitious folks and heretics running around.

As for the Desires "X", I think you could try to solve it. Example: A duke desires a county that belongs to his De Jure duchy, but:

a) Somebody else owns that county, but you are his liege, instead of the duke: Start diplomacy with the duke, Transfer vassalage and select that character that owns the county.

b) You own the county: Then grant him the county or grant it to somebody else that you want to get rid of and then transfer vassalage (I said to get rid of since you won't be able to use him for anything due to not being your vassal/courtier)

As for the ambitious... try to get their heirs not ambitious (content guys would be awesome) :) and kill those ambitious guys!

Are your holdings all occupied by rebels or enemy forces? Or have you *just* gotten out of a war where all of your holdings were completely sieged? Do you have an army raised somewhere, but you forget that you had it raised?

Those are the most likely explanations.

Thanks for reply. Not sure if what happens fits so I'll explain in more detail what happened.

Basically what happened: everything was peaceful, although I was excommunicated controlling most of Sweden and Finland. Not enough piety to get lifted excommunication.

Then, two Duchies try to go independent (bad relations, oops), whilst I'm fighting them...Poland decide it's a good idea to excommunicate war me 0_0 I don't care since they far away but then (powerful) Denmark joins in the fun. So I just surrender to them before they march their doomstack army into my sieges. Now I am short of armies and cannot raise NOR demobilize my demense levies which leaves me to offer white peace (I started new game w/Normandy now anyway lol) so have my Norway game on hold.

----------------------------------
Meanwhile as Normandy > England

1. What is the best way to DISTRIBUTE LAND?
I READ about giving 1 county and/or duchy to a single person so NOT TO strengthen them. BUT when I have run out of sons and male family members who do I give counties to next?
1.1. What is the position/RANK of giving away COUNTIES/duchies - sometimes I do it wrong on other games and get a -30 penalty for 'wrong holder type'
1.2. What does WRONG HOLDER type mean when I give away stuff? I know for myself I cannot hold a city nor a chuch only the castles right but with others I sometimes get that penalty.

2. How can I give my HEIR the best RELATIONS upon SUCCESSION? Since sometimes my heir when he succeeds (thus now my character) starts with alot of negative relations which is obviously annoying since I have to switch to UN mode of peacemakers.

(PS sry for caps, they were intended for people who scan read/catch attention to main question)

Thanks again for help, well this is so embarrassing since I'm looking at my steam prof. and I've racked up 35 hours on CKII LOL and I still feel like a noob :laugh:

Succession and so on

I recently installed my kinswoman in a matrilineal marriage to the heir of the kingdom of France, who after some assassination now became king ;)

silly questions: what advantages will I get by this? In a few decades hopefully my kinsmen will still hold the kingdom of france, but what do I get out of it?

For now I havent got an alliance with france, and because it is only a kinswoman I wont inherit the throne.

Will their children automatically form an alliance with me as soon as they are king?

Edit:

how does "sow dissent" really work? My goal is, that the opinions of all dukes about the emperor are lowered. Do I have to sent the chancellor to the emperor, or the every single duke?