• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1. Don't the other warmongering counts/dukes belong to the De Jure HRE? Or, are they direct vassals of a certain kingdom or duchy? That could maybe explain why they can have internal wars.

2. Do you mean that the Pope hasn't called for any Crusade in many years yet? You were unlucky then :p

3. Never played as a vassal, but I guess you will only be able to set the leaders of your own troops, as usual, and in case your character is picked to be leader of your liege's troops, there should be a way for you to dismiss him, but don't know how though, sorry.

1: maybe they are party of a kingdom, but they are definitly part of the HRE

2: no, there are crusades, but I dont know how to join them. I cant declare war to the. I can look for the warscore in the upper left of the screen (how do I open the warscore in a normal war I'm involved or that I've started?).

Shouldn't Kings get De Jure claims on Ducal Titles inside their kingdom? I'm playing Matilda di Canossa and I've formed the Kingdom of Italy, but there are a couple of duchies still in foreign hands(Verona and Ferrara). I have De Jure claims on the single counties, but pressing them one at a time is going to be very slow :(

I expected to find a claim for the whole duchy, but it looks like it isn't so. Is this normal?

Shouldn't Kings get De Jure claims on Ducal Titles inside their kingdom? I'm playing Matilda di Canossa and I've formed the Kingdom of Italy, but there are a couple of duchies still in foreign hands(Verona and Ferrara). I have De Jure claims on the single counties, but pressing them one at a time is going to be very slow :(

I expected to find a claim for the whole duchy, but it looks like it isn't so. Is this normal?

Unfortunately, yes :(

1: maybe they are party of a kingdom, but they are definitly part of the HRE

2: no, there are crusades, but I dont know how to join them. I cant declare war to the. I can look for the warscore in the upper left of the screen (how do I open the warscore in a normal war I'm involved or that I've started?).

To join a crusade, ask the Pope to join, you can't declare directly any more.

Is there any way to avoid "wrong government type" in territories I conquer and don't have baronies, but only have cities and churches?
Apart from spending money to build a castle I mean.
What is the best approach?

Give those territories to someone else so you don't get the wrong government type negative modifier

Is there any way to avoid "wrong government type" in territories I conquer and don't have baronies, but only have cities and churches?
Apart from spending money to build a castle I mean.
What is the best approach?

I you don't want to build a castle, then I'd advise to grant that land to another vassal, since otherwise, you'll always have that wrong government type.

How should I give them?
By giving the city and the bishropic to two people and then the county to a third one?
For places that are already "Grand Cities" what can I do? If I transfer vassalage of the city and the bishropic to someone else will the Lord Mayor cease to be my vassal?
Sorry, but I don't get it 100%

How should I give them?
By giving the city and the bishropic to two people and then the county to a third one?
For places that are already "Grand Cities" what can I do? If I transfer vassalage of the city and the bishropic to someone else will the Lord Mayor cease to be my vassal?
Sorry, but I don't get it 100%

try right-clicking on the demesne with the wrong holding type in the county-view. Then choose "create vassal" and voila, done!

ok, how does this work?

absolute crown law in HRE and the duke of modena has started a war against the duke of lombardia to install some guy as duke...

BUg?

Still I'm not allowed to start a war, even against heathens during a crusade...

I know this has already been asked but when do the mongols show up?

Why can I not raise levies from Demense? I am King of Norway, have 2 Duchies under my control but can't raise anything? Can raise vassals but not my own.

Recently in my game I had to surrender to excommunication war and the titles went from King to me,his brother.

Sometime in the thirteenth century.

I took the liberty of checking the game files.

the Ilkhanate can show up in 1216
the Golden Horde can show up in 1224
the Timurids can show up in 1360

Is it possible to get an event for religion conversion from having an infidel at your court? Say, I could get 10 pagans to join my court using different sorts of tricks. Can they attempt to convince my ruler to convert? I know I can invite pagan mentors and educate every duke's heirs using them, but the problem is that I don't want my vassals to flip cultures.

Last edited:
I've been playing the game for hours but still can't figure out some stuff. It's pretty frustrating.

I spend a lot of money and time waiting for a claim to be fabricated, and all of a sudden the claim seems to be worthless. I own of a 2-county duchy because the emperor granted me it. I want the other county and want to press a claim. However, there is no war-option in the character profile of my vassal, nor that of her steward. I can't even select it in the emperor's profile. Is it because the HRE is still on the Low Crown setting? Is usurping the title the only way? Because I can't do that. It is forbidden by the 'rules'. :(

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a King you need to keep as many holdings in your personal desmesne as possible so every county counts. Plan on marriage to heiresses in the kingdom you want to own or Crusade for more land in Iberia. You will have to declare Independence eventually from England if you want to create a Iberian Kingdom.

If you stay in England see if you can inherit the Duchy's of Somerset and Kent that way ALL your holdings will be connected.
Thanks for the answer! It's my first game, so I'm just looking to learn the ropes, I don't think I'll actively go after a kingdom. I can't get the Duchy of Somerset because it's owned by the king of Castille (English line that crusaded in Iberia then lost the Kingdom of England). Every time I try to claim the counties I have a forged claim on, they land on me with massive numbers that I can't possibly match. This is the case even when I declare war when they're busy fighting, since sieging takes so long. I've had a few close calls with not getting myself imprisoned and getting away with a white peace. They also have agnatic law, so I can't marry my way in.

But I eventually tried a different tack. In one generation I had a stroke of luck - four sons and a few neighbouring dynasties with daughters at roughly the same age. It was great, I was married to the heir of Lotharingia (though sadly that marriage produced no heirs) and all my five kids were dukes or counts. Though this had problems of its own - I had a lot of trouble finding worthy family members to give my excess demesne with or make strategic marriages because all of them, even the baronies, moved to their own separate courts.

1) What long-term advantage is there in a patrilineal marriage to a rival house? It seems like all that does is to give that family a bunch of fresh blood.

2) How bad is having a larger demesne than you can have? Should I be getting rid of them asap, or should I hold on to them until someone suitable comes along? I have 11/7. As I mentioned, I'm not expansionist this game, but I do want to end up with a nice power base.

3) I'm still not entirely getting the succession system. Sometimes they change for no reason (resulting in me wasting an heir on some minor noble who's a dozen candidates away from the seat), and I saw a younger son being an heir once over an older son, when I had agnatic-cognatic primogeniture.

4) The game ends in 1453, right? It's now about 1360 in my game.

I've been playing the game for hours but still can't figure out some stuff. It's pretty frustrating.

I spend a lot of money and time waiting for a claim to be fabricated, and all of a sudden the claim seems to be worthless. I own of a 2-county duchy because the emperor granted me it. I want the other county and want to press a claim. However, there is no war-option in the character profile of my vassal, nor that of her steward. I can't even select it in the emperor's profile. Is it because the HRE is still on the Low Crown setting? Is usurping the title the only way? Because I can't do that. It is forbidden by the 'rules'. :(
It sounds like the count whose county you want is your vassal. If the count whose title you want is your vassal, the only way to get that county is to use the "revoke title" diplomacy option.