• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have the counties of Cornwall, Devon and Kent, plus the duchy of Cornwall, with not much chance of connecting the two parts. Should I be handing Kent over to a relative, or would that be shooting myself in the foot in the long run? I also have Denia (the county below Valencia and in the duchy of Valencia) from my character's crusading.

First game.

I have the counties of Cornwall, Devon and Kent, plus the duchy of Cornwall, with not much chance of connecting the two parts. Should I be handing Kent over to a relative, or would that be shooting myself in the foot in the long run? I also have Denia (the county below Valencia and in the duchy of Valencia) from my character's crusading.

First game.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to be a King you need to keep as many holdings in your personal desmesne as possible so every county counts. Plan on marriage to heiresses in the kingdom you want to own or Crusade for more land in Iberia. You will have to declare Independence eventually from England if you want to create a Iberian Kingdom.

If you stay in England see if you can inherit the Duchy's of Somerset and Kent that way ALL your holdings will be connected.

How to kill off my ruler?
My first ruler lived to 80, the heir and current ruler is about 60, his daughter and heir is 40, her daughter and heir is 20. I'd like that last one to rule as quickly as possible but I would need to off 3 rulers and quickly.

I'm not great at this game, but my first thought is to keep doing "Great Hunts" and choose the really risky options when events pop. There are some like the "wolf" event that comes up with a decent chance to maim or even kill your ruler. And the way this game works, it totally loves to hose your king with these events. 5% chance my azz.

ok, 'nother question...
so, i've modded in the empire of spain. Got creation and creation and all that working... only problem is, now england, for some reason, has an entirely new (and damn ugly) CoA. And i have no idea why. I never set a CoA for empire of spain, i couldn't find how to, so if anyone could tell me why england and a few others too i think are messed up and where i change custom countries CoA, that'd be great:D

Maybe this has been covered before but looking through 126 pages is kinda overwhelming:

In any case, "depression", what is the cause and how to cure it? don't want to leave my king hanging...

Demesne size is under control, there are heirs, no war.. only things i can think of is the Wife, who is a zealous heretic Spymaster that is not too fond of King Orthodox the Cynical. I would like to make things work between us... but i might consider replacing her as Spymaster, or even imprisonement.

Or are there any other ideas why my king is a bit down?

1. What is a Courtier?
1.1. Must I find wifes for all the courtiers?
1.2. What do courtiers do?
1.3. Should I award land to one of these courtier's which has claims on land in Galicia. This is in the hope that I can some how gain land myself.

2. What is vassal inheritance warning?

3. How do I inherit lands?
3.1. How do I find suitable marriage partners?
3.2. Is it bad to marry outside of your rank? I.e. a Princess marrying a Duke (prestige hit)

1. courtiers are the useless bums hanging around your court. I't is from among them and your direct vassals that you can choose councillors and army commanders... you can also declare war to press the claim of one of your courtiers, so that he gets the land if you win the war (he doesn't always become your vassal after that though). you can also give them land to make new vassals
1.1finding wifes for most courtiers is a waste of time in my opinion, only do it if they have good inheritable traits such as genious.
1.2 well, think i answered that.
1.3 depends on where you are. if you're in russia, probably not. a bit closer is usually better. also, granting him land is uneccesary to press his claims
2. means that you are going to split up the realm when you die (either passing out equal titles to your chuildren in gavelkind or someone else is winning in an elective) or one of your vassals have an heir (or pretender, the two second closest to inheriting) that for some reason will inherit the land without joining you realm (could be a landed vassal of someone else or have an equal rank already)
3 this is a bit tricky sometimes, unless you go on a killing spree. your sons usually have a fair chance of marrying a landed femaly normally (at least the heir) but even then, it's rare. mostly, you have to marry someone whos is 4th or further away from inheriting, and the hope/arrange for the other threes death... then, if your heir does marry and eventually his wife gets a title, then his sone will eventually get that title and you will eventually be your heis and then his heir. (this is the basic, there are some more or less gamey and advanced versions of this)
3.1click the two ring in the character profile view. if they're not there, the character isn't under your control (ie, one of your courtiers)
3.2 not really. you lose some prestige (marrying down) but a good wife/alliance more than makes up for it imo. also, if it's you or your heir, you can always earn 50 prestige from the marriage

well, correct me if i missed something in inheritance as i'm hardly a pro at that except as a ruthless mass-murderer:D i've killed so many kids in this game, it's kinda disturbing

Is the only way to create an Alliance through marriage?
Yeah, but even so they aren't definitely allies, as their opinion of and distance to you also factor in to if they will join your war.

Currently playing as house of Poitou, Kings of Aquitaine. Shortly after declaring independence from France early in the game, I married my daughter Agnes to William the Conqueror's third son William in order to secure an English alliance should the French come knocking. Since he's a third son, and his brothers weren't liable to give him anything, I figure it's safe. Fast forward about 50 years, and the line de Normandie has had terrible luck producing sons, and agnatic primogeniture is about to put William and Agnes' son onto the throne of the Kingdom of England, as the current King's wife is past childbearing age, he's the last son of Robert's line, and Richard's line has already run out. But I've noticed that this latest William has a claim on my Kingdom of Aquitaine - even though I'm pretty sure Agnes' claim shouldn't have been inheritable.

I guess my question is - how did Agnes' claim become inheritable?

My first ruler lived to 80, the heir and current ruler is about 60, his daughter and heir is 40, her daughter and heir is 20. I'd like that last one to rule as quickly as possible but I would need to off 3 rulers and quickly.

Without cheating, there isn't much you can do. Maybe keep sending him into battle, and hope he dies there.

As some have replied, selecting to go hunting when the time is right, making your ruler lead troops and get him into battles and/or provinces with plagues like slow pox or typhus, etc. A gamey solution would be to replace your spymaster with someone with the worst skills possible, attempt to assassinate a ruler that has very high intrigue skills and pray that when he retaliates, you get your ruler killed.

Otherwise, cheats, if you are up to use them.

Maybe this has been covered before but looking through 126 pages is kinda overwhelming:

In any case, "depression", what is the cause and how to cure it? don't want to leave my king hanging...

Demesne size is under control, there are heirs, no war.. only things i can think of is the Wife, who is a zealous heretic Spymaster that is not too fond of King Orthodox the Cynical. I would like to make things work between us... but i might consider replacing her as Spymaster, or even imprisonement.

Or are there any other ideas why my king is a bit down?

I guess it is just random stuff and it would disappear randomly as well. Does your character have any bad trait that could have led to that?

hey there, few questions:

I'm currently Duke of Bavaria in the HRE with absolute crown law. To create the Kingdom of Bavaria I need to optain more counties and one more duchy-title, but I'm not allowed to wage war by the HRE-law. Though I've seen other dukes in the HRE waging war against each other, or did I see something wrong here? Are counties allowed to wage war against each other by absolute-HRE-law? In other words: does crown law only affect direct vassals?

second questions: I have never seen the opportunity to join a crusade.. wtf? ;)

third: Is it possible to decide who leads the tropps or the troops of my liege, e.g. if I dont want my ruler to go directly into war?

Big thanks guys! Just started playing a few days ago, and I'm already addicted to the game. Hopefully I can give my experiences back some day!

hey there, few questions:

I'm currently Duke of Bavaria in the HRE with absolute crown law. To create the Kingdom of Bavaria I need to optain more counties and one more duchy-title, but I'm not allowed to wage war by the HRE-law. Though I've seen other dukes in the HRE waging war against each other, or did I see something wrong here? Are counties allowed to wage war against each other by absolute-HRE-law? In other words: does crown law only affect direct vassals?

second questions: I have never seen the opportunity to join a crusade.. wtf? ;)

third: Is it possible to decide who leads the tropps or the troops of my liege, e.g. if I dont want my ruler to go directly into war?

Big thanks guys! Just started playing a few days ago, and I'm already addicted to the game. Hopefully I can give my experiences back some day!

1. Don't the other warmongering counts/dukes belong to the De Jure HRE? Or, are they direct vassals of a certain kingdom or duchy? That could maybe explain why they can have internal wars.

2. Do you mean that the Pope hasn't called for any Crusade in many years yet? You were unlucky then :p

3. Never played as a vassal, but I guess you will only be able to set the leaders of your own troops, as usual, and in case your character is picked to be leader of your liege's troops, there should be a way for you to dismiss him, but don't know how though, sorry.

Have a strange thing happen, not sure why.
I get a -10 relationship with all the dynasty members. Says I disrespect the dynasty. I haven't done anything disrespectful to them! What are they talking about?

WFdRU.png

Have a strange thing happen, not sure why.
I get a -10 relationship with all the dynasty members. Says I disrespect the dynasty. I haven't done anything disrespectful to them! What are they talking about?

The only thing I can figure out is that it could happen because your character's culture is one of the infidels' while you are the king of the christian kingdom of Portugal? Or perhaps because of being cathar...

The only thing I can figure out is that it could happen because your character's culture is one of the infidels' while you are the king of the christian kingdom of Portugal? Or perhaps because of being cathar...

Sadly, it's neither. All of my vassals are Cathar, and of Cuman culture. Nothing like that happened before.