• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If any norman has a saxon province then the english event will fire. Once it has fired you just have to embrace it. If you want to stay Norman don't conquer England.

Is there some way to avoid this? In the textfile or an event? Because I would like to keep playing as a Norman.

1. If all duchies of a de iure kingdom drift to other kingdoms, will the kingdom be extinguished and unavailable for creation ever again (just like a titular title that dies)?
2. Can a de iure empire (HRE, ERE or a titular empire that has managed to gain de iure holdings) be extinguished in some such fashion?

1. If all duchies of a de iure kingdom drift to other kingdoms, will the kingdom be extinguished and unavailable for creation ever again (just like a titular title that dies)?
2. Can a de iure empire (HRE, ERE or a titular empire that has managed to gain de iure holdings) be extinguished in some such fashion?

1. No, you can still create it as titular, and it can regain de jure lands.
2. No, as far as I know, once a kingdom is part of an empire, it will only ever drift to a different empire, never become independent.

What is the mechanism of Succession Laws for newly formed Duchies ? Do they always get the same law as the 'creator' of them have and if yes is there a way to change this ?

Reason of asking is that I have tried playing Sweden and wanted to go all out on Duchy creating and then installing my Dynasty (af Stenkil) in them. However I would prefer if the Duchies could get the same law that the initial duchies in Sweden have which is Gavelkind (in order to ensure the Duchies stay in control of my Family). Is this possible to achieve ?

Actually I think I just realized a way to make it happen. By giving my dynasty members 50 % + of the counties needed to create the Duchy in question they should be able to do it themselves if they have the money needed. Is this right ?

Actually I think I just realized a way to make it happen. By giving my dynasty members 50 % + of the counties needed to create the Duchy in question they should be able to do it themselves if they have the money needed. Is this right ?

Yes, you can do this. Generally though it is preferable to create the Duchy yourself and hand it out. You get a prestige bonus from creating the duchy and a relations bonus with the character you give it to.

Be aware that each landed character in the game can change their succession laws, so you cannot permanently orchestrate the situation you desire.

Is there anywhere where a list of the Electors of the Holy Roman Empire and their current candidate is? I'd like to start marrying into the elector's families so in 50 years or so once I've unified Italy I can make a bid for Emperor.

Only partially AFAIK, go the Vassals tab of the Emperor character page, sort by rank and most of the kings/duke there will have the elector icon (others are not electors), hover over it to see their vote.

Question: all the ingame events/messages, are/can they logged be anywhere?

Is there anywhere where a list of the Electors of the Holy Roman Empire and their current candidate is? I'd like to start marrying into the elector's families so in 50 years or so once I've unified Italy I can make a bid for Emperor.
Go to the emperors vassal screen and sort it on rank. There will be an icon for voters.
edit: Ahh, their current candidate, I have no idea. If you are part of the HRE (de jure or de facto) you can see the pretenders and who votes for him, but otherwise I am not sure. Perhaps in the same vassal screen their favourite is visible?

Bubblewrap said:
Question: all the ingame events/messages, are/can they logged be anywhere?
Yes, Gamelog at the bottom.

Go to the emperors vassal screen and sort it on rank. There will be an icon for voters.
edit: Ahh, their current candidate, I have no idea. If you are part of the HRE (de jure or de facto) you can see the pretenders and who votes for him, but otherwise I am not sure. Perhaps in the same vassal screen their favourite is visible?
If you hover over the HRE's shield you can see the top three candidates I'll use that.

Can only Kingdom's declare holy wars? Im playing as an independent Duchy (Should be King, I own the entire upper half of France), but I am unable to declare war on any non-christian kingdom's unless its a crusade. The declare War box is greyed out and it says I have no CB.

Also, how do non-inheritable claims work for female spouses? I was married to a girl with a claim on England, that claim even showed up in my ledger, but when I went to declare war, that claim was not one of them available to me.

Can only Kingdom's declare holy wars? Im playing as an independent Duchy (Should be King, I own the entire upper half of France), but I am unable to declare war on any non-christian kingdom's unless its a crusade. The declare War box is greyed out and it says I have no CB.

Also, how do non-inheritable claims work for female spouses? I was married to a girl with a claim on England, that claim even showed up in my ledger, but when I went to declare war, that claim was not one of them available to me.

On the holy wars: Did you go up to the top of the food chain? You can only declare war on the top dog not his underlings.

On the claim: It isn't your claim its your wife's so you can only claim it in here name. She will become queen and it will be your son that becomes king of both your realm and hers.

On the holy wars: Did you go up to the top of the food chain? You can only declare war on the top dog not his underlings.

On the claim: It isn't your claim its your wife's so you can only claim it in here name. She will become queen and it will be your son that becomes king of both your realm and hers.

I know, that is what I was trying to do, prop her and my son up (Ive done it several times with Counties and Duchy's)... but like I said, the claim did not show up as one of the ones available under the declare war button for England.

As for the other question, yes... I am aiming at the top of the food chain.

Last edited:
I know, that is what I was trying to do, prop her and my son up (Ive done it several times with Counties and Duchy's)... but like I said, the claim did not show up as one of the ones available under the declare war button for England.
You can't press your wife's claim unless the country's succession law allows female monarchs. England's at the start of the game doesn't.

I assume the option still appears because it's theoretically possible for England's crown laws to change, at which point you could press her claim.

Starting out as the Duke of Munster, the Lord Mayor of Ormond always revolts so I end up owning Ormond, but I get wrong holding because I have the city instead of the castle.

I understand that I can revoke title on the castle holder and create a new vassal for the city to fix things, but is there any way to do this cleanly? My problem is the castle holder just refuses, and even though I can crush his army I can't come up with enough numbers for a successful siege without bringing in mercs.

Would I be better off just creating a new Lord Mayor for the city?