• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can I change the main settlement of a county ? For example, turn a County, and eventually a Duchy, into a Republic ?

Don't know if I made myself clear..

Give the county title to the mayor or bishop in the county. then give them a ducal title.

To do it in reverse give the county title to a baron in the county. Or revoke the barons title/build a new castle so you hold both a castle and the original county capital city/temple.

I feel like a noob and deserve it...
I have a high Crown Authority in my empire, but vassals keep fighting each other. What am I missing? Must all the land be completely de jure of empire's for them to stop fighting? Right now it's 35/100 years.

What is the mechanism of Succession Laws for newly formed Duchies ? Do they always get the same law as the 'creator' of them have and if yes is there a way to change this ?

Reason of asking is that I have tried playing Sweden and wanted to go all out on Duchy creating and then installing my Dynasty (af Stenkil) in them. However I would prefer if the Duchies could get the same law that the initial duchies in Sweden have which is Gavelkind (in order to ensure the Duchies stay in control of my Family). Is this possible to achieve ?

Give the county title to the mayor or bishop in the county. then give them a ducal title.

To do it in reverse give the county title to a baron in the county. Or revoke the barons title/build a new castle so you hold both a castle and the original county capital city/temple.

Yes, but them I get the "wrong type" penality.. Can I change the county capital to avoid this kinds of negative bonus ?

I have a high Crown Authority in my empire, but vassals keep fighting each other. What am I missing? Must all the land be completely de jure of empire's for them to stop fighting? Right now it's 35/100 years.

Only de jure vassals are affected by your crown laws. Non-de jure vassals are affected by the crown law of the kingdom/empire they are de jure part of.

I have a few questions as I try to learn more about this game. Know that I am using the Game of Thrones mod, so I'm not sure if that affects anything that I've experienced in terms of mechanics.

1. After sieging all the holdings of a province and making it appear with full lines instead of dashes, I'm assuming that means I've completely occupied the province. Is there anything else to do at this point? I've noticed that when my provinces have been occupied, when I go to take the back I have to seige them. Are provinces that I've occupied accumulating troops to garrison or am I suppose to leave troops myself (or does this happen automatically)?

2. I was sieging a province that was in the kingdom of an ally, I'm assuming that it was taken sometime during the war. I notice sometime later that the province returned to my ally. Is this because they had a claim on the province and were just able to walk right up to it and take it? I'm assuming that this might have something to do with the 'megawar' system implanted in the mod, so I guess I'm asking if this type of scenario can exist in vanilla and how it would be handled there.

3. How does education work? Does the child receive stat upgrades from the guardian? If so, do the stats increase at random intervals? And, if so, can the child's stats ever go above his guardians level in a specific stat? Say the guardian has 10 in diplomacy, will the child ever go above 10 in diplomacy? My character died very early on and so I became my current character at around age 8. It seems that he learned a random trait every once in a while and shortly after his guardian would take that trait away. I'm assuming this happens because the guardian does not agree with the trait/goes against his own traits. Is this how it works? Will a guardian ever give/teach his traits or are his traits a guideline for the random traits that a child may get through events?

4. I've noticed that in one of the kingdoms the 15 year old heir to his father has suddenly become king even though his father is still alive. Is this an effect/bug of the mod or is this possible in vanilla? Can a liege voluntarily give up his position to his heir or is there a way an heir can take his lieges position?

Yes, but them I get the "wrong type" penality.. Can I change the county capital to avoid this kinds of negative bonus ?

If you hold both a castle and a temple/city in the same county the castle will automatically become the capital if it wasn't before. You can then give the temple/city away.

What is the mechanism of Succession Laws for newly formed Duchies ? Do they always get the same law as the 'creator' of them have and if yes is there a way to change this ?

Reason of asking is that I have tried playing Sweden and wanted to go all out on Duchy creating and then installing my Dynasty (af Stenkil) in them. However I would prefer if the Duchies could get the same law that the initial duchies in Sweden have which is Gavelkind (in order to ensure the Duchies stay in control of my Family). Is this possible to achieve ?

Think this is pretty much the case yes

Is there a way to keep my king Norman?

I have my capital at Rouen and the guardians are always Norman but still my king turns English.
Evey single one of my vassals is also Norman.

Is there a way to keep my king Norman?

I have my capital at Rouen and the guardians are always Norman but still my king turns English.
Evey single one of my vassals is also Norman.

If any norman has a saxon province then the english event will fire. Once it has fired you just have to embrace it. If you want to stay Norman don't conquer England.

I would if not all my vassals where Norman now they will all see me as a foreigner...

They will change themselves pretty quickly. and those that prove stubborn educate their children or just replace them with new generic english holy men.

You get a moment of trouble, but it shouldn't be anything you can't handle.

Hello guys. Where i can modify the speed of kingdoms and empires getting claims? To make it faster then 100 years.
You'll want to open defines.lua (use notepad) and find this line:

Code:
DE_JURE_ASSIMILATION_YEARS = 100,		-- Duchies and kingdoms under the de facto control of another kingdom or empire will change de jure liege after this many years
Change the number to whatever you like.

I have a few questions as I try to learn more about this game. Know that I am using the Game of Thrones mod, so I'm not sure if that affects anything that I've experienced in terms of mechanics.

1. After sieging all the holdings of a province and making it appear with full lines instead of dashes, I'm assuming that means I've completely occupied the province. Is there anything else to do at this point? I've noticed that when my provinces have been occupied, when I go to take the back I have to seige them. Are provinces that I've occupied accumulating troops to garrison or am I suppose to leave troops myself (or does this happen automatically)?

2. I was sieging a province that was in the kingdom of an ally, I'm assuming that it was taken sometime during the war. I notice sometime later that the province returned to my ally. Is this because they had a claim on the province and were just able to walk right up to it and take it? I'm assuming that this might have something to do with the 'megawar' system implanted in the mod, so I guess I'm asking if this type of scenario can exist in vanilla and how it would be handled there.

3. How does education work? Does the child receive stat upgrades from the guardian? If so, do the stats increase at random intervals? And, if so, can the child's stats ever go above his guardians level in a specific stat? Say the guardian has 10 in diplomacy, will the child ever go above 10 in diplomacy? My character died very early on and so I became my current character at around age 8. It seems that he learned a random trait every once in a while and shortly after his guardian would take that trait away. I'm assuming this happens because the guardian does not agree with the trait/goes against his own traits. Is this how it works? Will a guardian ever give/teach his traits or are his traits a guideline for the random traits that a child may get through events?

4. I've noticed that in one of the kingdoms the 15 year old heir to his father has suddenly become king even though his father is still alive. Is this an effect/bug of the mod or is this possible in vanilla? Can a liege voluntarily give up his position to his heir or is there a way an heir can take his lieges position?

1. If you have conquered every barony of a county (province), you will see your heraldic in the top center of each barony and the province will be marked with lines, as you mention. In that case, there is nothing else to do in that province. Go to siege another province for example. You won't be entering any garrison to the province by leaving your troops over the province. The garrison replenishes itself over time.

2. This game is not like Total War games where you keep every land you conquered. Here, you will only own lands if the Casus Belli and peace deal are the appropiate. If you help another country on his war, I think you'll never have an option to get land for you, since it's his war and his victory conditions are only for him (sadly).

3. I think the child can get better or worse than the guardian at some points, as real life :). He will be more prone to get the guardian traits and such, but I guess it is not something so strict to avoid taking other different traits. The child will for sure receive the "profession trait?" of the guardian but you don't know which level. Example: The guardian is a "Midas touched" (the best "profession" for improving Stewardship), but the child could get a lower "profession" that will improve the Stewardship over all the other skills, but maybe not as much as "Midas touched" does.

4. I can only speak about vanilla version. There, you cannot abdicate but, if you have let's say 3 kingdoms, you may pass one of them to any elegible person, so the other person would become an independent king while you are still king of the other 2 kingdoms left.

Hey guys, I'm playing the GoT mod and often some of my vassals ask to be knighted, but I can't find where to do it. Can any1 tell me where I find it?

I'm afraid I can't help you (I'm a vanilla lover :)). The best place to ask questions about a certain mod is in the mods subforum though.

Only de jure vassals are affected by your crown laws. Non-de jure vassals are affected by the crown law of the kingdom/empire they are de jure part of.
And though implied but not stated, yes, all the land has to be absorbed into the same realm to stop the fighting.

edit - I don't know what happens across kingdoms within an empire, but vassals in two kingdoms you own can still attack each other at medium or high crown authority, even if you are liege over both kingdoms. Medium CA only stops vassal conflict when the they share the same liege by title, not by character. I'd be curious to know if absorbing the land within an empire helps stop cross-kingdom conflict without needing to elevate CA to absolute.

Last edited: