• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you create an antipope, you can wage war against the pope to place your antipope as the recognized pope. You will not personally control this pope, no, but they will have a +100 pressed my claim modifier, and the +5 dynasty modifier. They will add to your dynasty prestige, as the papacy is a king tier title, but only for 1 generation. They will also take any lands they own with them to be part of the papal states.

Oh, so I cannot become Pope and fill the Church's positions with my dynastic members? Ah well, this is fine. I'm sure there will be a mod for it eventually.

Oh, so I cannot become Pope and fill the Church's positions with my dynastic members? Ah well, this is fine. I'm sure there will be a mod for it eventually.

The papacy is open elective, so it chooses someone from the court in Rome as the next pope. Since it is not hereditary, no, it will not be passed on. You cannot become pope except through a few tactics which are more or less exploits, and even if you do, I don't think you have control over the bishops of realms with papal investiture, and the game is apparently unplayable because of the constant indulgence requests. Pope wasn't meant to be played.

The papacy is open elective, so it chooses someone from the court in Rome as the next pope. Since it is not hereditary, no, it will not be passed on. You cannot become pope except through a few tactics which are more or less exploits, and even if you do, I don't think you have control over the bishops of realms with papal investiture, and the game is apparently unplayable because of the constant indulgence requests. Pope wasn't meant to be played.

Tell that to Alexander VI and Leo X haha. It's okay, hopefully someone will make a Papal mod so that it is playable, I have faith in the modding community.

You can't push a female's claim on a pure agnatic throne. Check the succession laws; England, Scotland, France and the HRE all start with pure agnatic succession.

Hmm, the current holder of the Kingdom of England title is the King of Denmark. Denmark's succession laws are Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, so the reason is probably the elective part?

non-recognized = Mother's dynasty. Recognized = your dynasty. Legitamized = your dynasty+ your son, so can inherit.

No questions are silly mate ;)

Ok. So, let's complicate everything now: what happens if I am a female ruler (Matilda of Tuscany) and my husband, matrilineary married, whom I gave a county, legalizes a male child?

A question on "game over" - due to a bit of chaos in changing succession laws the heir for my primary title (Duchy of Swabia) is currently of wrong dynasty, but as I'm in gavelkind some of the counties would go to my sons and daughters who are of course of my dynasty. The game claims however that if I died right now it'd be Game Over.
Obviously, I'm going to assassinate that wrong-dynasty-heir, which will fix the problem, but I'm still curious as to why I basically couldn't go "back down" to being a Count? As I had a claim on the Duchy it probably wouldn't be difficult to "fix" the problem even without assassination, but I want to take the risk ^^;

The problem is that, after your current character dies, you would play with your heir, not with other characters from your dynasty (even if they are also your children). If your heir is not from your dynasty: Game over. So yes, go for that assassination! ;)

I tried to register my game, but when I play with Dinasty's Shields nothing changes.. I bet I didn't register properly. Can someone help me ? Thanks.. :(

I see you have the game registered, finally. Do you know what was the problem to not be able to register it before, just in case it might help others?

Ok. So, let's complicate everything now: what happens if I am a female ruler (Matilda of Tuscany) and my husband, matrilineary married, whom I gave a county, legalizes a male child?

I've never played as a female ruler yet (but I will do so in the next generations), so I haven't had the chance to have a filthy husband with bastards. :p Anyway, I'd say that the bastard would be from your husband's dynasty because he legitimized him and it wouldn't make sense to have the bastard in your own dynasty since you were not the couple from which the child was born.

The problem is that, after your current character dies, you would play with your heir, not with other characters from your dynasty (even if they are also your children). If your heir is not from your dynasty: Game over. So yes, go for that assassination! ;)
You sure? I had similar situations before, but the game would've jumped to other branches of my family, who are still ruling wherever else. And it's got my dynastic son properly marked as next character played. I'm starting to believe that the game just checks whether any of your own are currently ruling anywhere, and it doesn't go as far as calculating whether with my death someone outside the main title path will inherit something I can keep playing with. Guess I could've checked that by granting him some land.
Well, whatever, was just curiosity anyways. ;)

Sorry if this has been asked before.

What is the difference between landed title and the check box that says include lower titles? What are the trade off's with doing so and not doing so?

My real ancestry is of Leicester. In a recent game I was playing House Hwicce of Lancaster and basically wrecked england in 10 years flat(I owned all of northern england). As I was making vassals I noticed one of my guys was from house Leicester, and I gave him the landed title of Leicester. Now I think I've decided to try to play our my real ancestors dynasty in a seperate game. My question is, how do I make it so my crest stays that of Leicester. For example, when I take a duchy title for myself(if I don't fail) can I make it so that duchy crest doesn't show up as my main crest?

What is the difference between landed title and the check box that says include lower titles? What are the trade off's with doing so and not doing so?

My real ancestry is of Leicester. In a recent game I was playing House Hwicce of Lancaster and basically wrecked england in 10 years flat(I owned all of northern england). As I was making vassals I noticed one of my guys was from house Leicester, and I gave him the landed title of Leicester. Now I think I've decided to try to play our my real ancestors dynasty in a seperate game. My question is, how do I make it so my crest stays that of Leicester. For example, when I take a duchy title for myself(if I don't fail) can I make it so that duchy crest doesn't show up as my main crest?

When you grant a landed title and do not select the check box to include lower titles, you only grant the title you have selected. However, if you check the Include lower titles, you will not only give that title to the other character, but also all the other land titles that you own and belong to the original title that you want to gift.

Example: Inside a county, there are some baronies (temples, castles, cities). If you are count of Zaragoza and also own other baronies of that county, like a city, when you decide to give a landed title to another character, select the County of Zaragoza and check the "Include all lower titles" -> You would not only give him the title of Count of Zaragoza, but you would also give him the barony that belongs to that county and was yours before. The other baronies will not pass to him, since they are not yours though.

EDIT: Click on your character's portrait. You will see the list of titles that you own. Click on the title that you want to make your primary title (only kingdoms if you are a king, only duchies if you are a duke) and click on the button "Make Primary".

Last edited:

Narestel answered most of these, but I can answer about the crest. Sadly, no. You can choose your primary title, which decides your map colour, your crest, etc., but only from among your highest-tier titles. For example, in my Castille -> Byzantine Empire game, I was stuck with the Byzantine purple until I could take over the HRE.

I've never played as a female ruler yet (but I will do so in the next generations), so I haven't had the chance to have a filthy husband with bastards. :p Anyway, I'd say that the bastard would be from your husband's dynasty because he legitimized him and it wouldn't make sense to have the bastard in your own dynasty since you were not the couple from which the child was born.

Indeed, this is what's happening. I'm asking all these questions because it happened that his legitimized bastards went into the line of succession of the county I gave him, even before my legitimate childs and even if the marriage is matrilinear... Could this be a bug? (it happened with CK2Plus, so maybe it could be related...)

What's the best way to give away land that's part of a large duchy (Crimea in this case)? Do I just give the whole duchy to a single duke and make him the most powerful duke in the Kingdom, or divide it in half and have them constantly hate me because one wants the other as a vassal, and the other wants to be the duke?

What's the best way to give away land that's part of a large duchy (Crimea in this case)? Do I just give the whole duchy to a single duke and make him the most powerful duke in the Kingdom, or divide it in half and have them constantly hate me because one wants the other as a vassal, and the other wants to be the duke?

I generally just give it all to one guy.

However you can give each province to one guy. Then make one of them duke over the rest. That way if he ever rebels you just strip him of the duchy and give it to one of the other counts.

Or give half to one guy and half to another make one duke of the other one and let them fight it out periodically to keep them weak.

Of course if it's the best duchy in your realm you could just keep it for yourself, or give it to your heir if you need to wait for the culture/religion penalties to go away.

He'd be his dynasty but not your heir as he wasn't your child. If he was your husbands oldest child he could be his heir.

Narestel answered most of these, but I can answer about the crest. Sadly, no. You can choose your primary title, which decides your map colour, your crest, etc., but only from among your highest-tier titles. For example, in my Castille -> Byzantine Empire game, I was stuck with the Byzantine purple until I could take over the HRE.

Actually I think I mentioned it :): only kingdoms if you are a king, only duchies if you are a duke

Try to avoid as much as possible to own counties in duchies that you don't own and viceversa. If you have to give the duchy of Crimea to somebody else, you may give him all the counties of the duchy or you may split the counties among several characters. But make sure that you transfer the vassalage of the other counts to the duke of Crimea. Otherwise, the duke will have big relation penalties with you because he would like to be the liege of the counts that belong to his duchy.

As for how to split the lands... It's really up to you and the situation. If it's a great character that you know he won't give you any problem, transfer everything to him. Otherwise, split the duchy to several characters, but remember to avoid making counts good characters of yours, because as soon as you transfer vassalage to the duke, you can't use them anymore for anything (council positions, etc).

Indeed, this is what's happening. I'm asking all these questions because it happened that his legitimized bastards went into the line of succession of the county I gave him, even before my legitimate childs and even if the marriage is matrilinear... Could this be a bug? (it happened with CK2Plus, so maybe it could be related...)

If you granted a county to your husband, it seems correct to me: Your husband will have his heirs to inherit his lands and, since his bastards are legitimized, they are elegible to be heirs. Also remember that they will only be able to marry those bastards matrilineally, as you surely know.

Hope it helps!

How would I go about giving away a duchy? I inherited (without planning) a duchy in a very remote and strategically useless to me place, surrounded by deserts (my troops would die before they get there!) and enemies of my faith. So I wanted to give it away to some vassal so that they would become independent, and didn't want to hear about them any more.
What I did is granted the duchy to someone who hated me, made them revolt, and surrendered. But that caused my whole Caliphate to use "autonomous vassals" authority. Then when I install a limited authority rule every vassal is unhappy because I de facto changed the crown authority multiple times. My strongest king wants to rebel against me now :(

So it's a mess... Is there a clean way to get rid of land without consequences?

How would I go about giving away a duchy? I inherited (without planning) a duchy in a very remote and strategically useless to me place, surrounded by deserts (my troops would die before they get there!) and enemies of my faith. So I wanted to give it away to some vassal so that they would become independent, and didn't want to hear about them any more.
What I did is granted the duchy to someone who hated me, made them revolt, and surrendered. But that caused my whole Caliphate to use "autonomous vassals" authority. Then when I install a limited authority rule every vassal is unhappy because I de facto changed the crown authority multiple times. My strongest king wants to rebel against me now :(

So it's a mess... Is there a clean way to get rid of land without consequences?

What kind of war did your vassal start? A war for independence or a war to lower the Crown Authority? If your Crown Authority was lowered because of the war, I would go back and check again each peace condition... If it doesn't indicate anything about lowering the CA, I'd say it's a bug.

If you want to get rid of that duchy, is there any way that you can create a kingdom in the region of that duchy? That would make the trick as soon as you could grant the kingdom to your vassal so, if you are not emperor, he would become independent.

Otherwise, go back in time before you granted that duchy to anybody else. Look for any claimants to another kingdom that would join your court. Give him the duchy and then press his claim for the throne. When he becomes king, you will have lost all his belongings as well :)

What kind of war did your vassal start? A war for independence or a war to lower the Crown Authority? If your Crown Authority was lowered because of the war, I would go back and check again each peace condition... If it doesn't indicate anything about lowering the CA, I'd say it's a bug.

If you want to get rid of that duchy, is there any way that you can create a kingdom in the region of that duchy? That would make the trick as soon as you could grant the kingdom to your vassal so, if you are not emperor, he would become independent.

Otherwise, go back in time before you granted that duchy to anybody else. Look for any claimants to another kingdom that would join your court. Give him the duchy and then press his claim for the throne. When he becomes king, you will have lost all his belongings as well :)

Thank you! I will keep these in mind.
What I ended up doing tonight was just giving this duchy to one of my kings (my ruler has a Caliph title). Now it's his headache. And if he loses it due to independence or somehow else, I wouldn't care :)
So far he is doing well as far as peasant rebellions go.

Is it possible to abdicate? My current character is incapable, and when he is done his son will create a personal union between the Kingdoms of Croatia and Sicily, so I want him off the throne quickly.