• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
how does the research works? i play abessinia over a few generations but the progress get subjectivly stuck. I lose battles i come in with a superior number of men and i think its caused by low research. how do this aspect works? Next, in same Savegame, i got no mercenaries in Abessinia. How do i get some?

how does the research work? i play abessinia over a few generations but the progress get subjectivly stuck. I lose battles i come in with a superior number of men and i think its caused by low research. how do this aspect works? Next, in same Savegame, i got no mercenaries in Abessinia. How do i get some?
Once you register your game, you will have additional support forums available to you that detail how tech works, but until you get that done...
-As to combat, horse-based soldiers are the best, so make sure your holdings have some stables and other buildings that give you these troop types.
-As to the tech, until you get the religion and town building economic techs that let you build monestary schools and universities (level 1 for both I believe), the only two boosts available besides high-stat advisors and good leaders are neighbor bonus and demesne bonus. That means have neighboring provinces with higher tech and add high tech provinces to your demesne. Once you are able, add monestary schools to your temple subholdings, and add univerity to city subholdings. These buildings stack, so some people will build temples and cities in the empty slots for the extra tech advancement (well mainly for the cash and secondly for the tech bonuses) instead of baronies (which give lots of good quality troops, a little cash, and no technology bonuses whatsoever).

edit - Once the game is registered, the FAQ forum becomes available and you can link to here for some really useful game details.

Last edited:
I have a lot of duchys and I don't want to lose them all, what's the best succession laws? I got Gavel kind and women are able to inherit on the same grounds of men.

(my Queen is 47 years old..I'm dreading it already.)

Even if it's agnatic/cognatic women are allowed to inherit but men are first preference. So if you have 1 son and 2 daughters then your son gets everything and your daughters are excluded. If you had two daughters it would be split though.

Unless you are Basque then they would be considered equal.

I modded the game so women are on equal grounds and you don't need to be Basque.

I have a lot of duchys and I don't want to lose them all, what's the best succession laws? I got Gavel kind and women are able to inherit on the same grounds of men.

(my Queen is 47 years old..I'm dreading it already.)

If you are a king, you should only have up to 2 duchies in order to avoid relation penalties with all your vassals.

If you are either a king or a duke, you should go for Primogeniture, so all your titles go to your heir after yours dies-; or Elective succession, in case you want to deal with pleasing the electors of each of your titles where you set the Elective succession to make them vote the same heir that you voted.

The Elective succession allows you to pick the heir that you consider that would be your best asset to play with, but it has the drawbacks that you have to be managing much more ingame stuff because of the electors of each title and, considering you are a king of several kingdoms or a duke of several duchies... for me is a bit tedious when trying to have every single title going to be inherited by the person that I elected, but you can always declare war if you don't inherit one of the titles, because you will have inherited a claim to the title anyway :)

Sorry for the silly question, but it's the first time I have so many bastards in my game... so, what's the difference between non-recognized, recognized and legitimated bastards?

Thanks

A question on "game over" - due to a bit of chaos in changing succession laws the heir for my primary title (Duchy of Swabia) is currently of wrong dynasty, but as I'm in gavelkind some of the counties would go to my sons and daughters who are of course of my dynasty. The game claims however that if I died right now it'd be Game Over.
Obviously, I'm going to assassinate that wrong-dynasty-heir, which will fix the problem, but I'm still curious as to why I basically couldn't go "back down" to being a Count? As I had a claim on the Duchy it probably wouldn't be difficult to "fix" the problem even without assassination, but I want to take the risk ^^;

Is there any way your family can take the Papacy?

Is there any way your family can take the Papacy?

Create antipope. Make your dynasty antipope. Press claim on papacy.

It will only last for one generation.

Ok so, my wife has a claim on the Kingdom of England, "Will not be inherited unless pressed in war".

The current holder of the title is the King of Denmark (Norway and Denmark both split England pretty much evenly, but Denmark got the title). When I enter his diplomacy window for the King of Denmark/England, it will not let me press my wife's claim for England... anyone know why? I can press all her other claims, but not that one.

Create antipope. Make your dynasty antipope. Press claim on papacy.

It will only last for one generation.

Will that give you St. Peter's throne, or just a claim? Also, does that allow you all the Pope's powers?

Ok so, my wife has a claim on the Kingdom of England, "Will not be inherited unless pressed in war".

The current holder of the title is the King of Denmark (Norway and Denmark both split England pretty much evenly, but Denmark got the title). When I enter his diplomacy window for the King of Denmark/England, it will not let me press my wife's claim for England... anyone know why? I can press all her other claims, but not that one.

You can't push a female's claim on a pure agnatic throne. Check the succession laws; England, Scotland, France and the HRE all start with pure agnatic succession.

Will that give you St. Peter's throne, or just a claim? Also, does that allow you all the Pope's powers?

If you create an antipope, you can wage war against the pope to place your antipope as the recognized pope. You will not personally control this pope, no, but they will have a +100 pressed my claim modifier, and the +5 dynasty modifier. They will add to your dynasty prestige, as the papacy is a king tier title, but only for 1 generation. They will also take any lands they own with them to be part of the papal states.