• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sounds strange to me. AFAIK it's count=2, duke=3, king=4, emperor=5, straight up. Only thing I can think which would drop it (other than stewardship stats changes of course) would be if you had Gavelkind succession and changed it to something else. Gavelkind gives a 1.3 times bonus (I think) on your stewardship based demense allowance.

Mouse over your demense limit and check out the breakdown in the tooltip. If you have a savegame you could go back and compare.

D'oh, thank you!!
I forgot I changed to Elective to avoid it getting in the hands of a bad branch of my family.

If your character dies your primary title goes outside of your dynasty but you have dynasty members holding other landed titles you lose the game right? or do you switch to playing the landed relative?
It switches.

Yesterday, in fact, I was playing as Leofwine of Godwin, Earl of Surrey. The Saxons lost the Norman conquest, William became king and confiscated all my lands. Next thing I knew, I was playing as Leofwine's brother Gyrth, Duke of Norfolk, and my brother Leofwine was a courtier.

Is there any point to pushing someone else's claim? I married someone with a claim on Scotland but upon pushing the claim they just left my court to become queen of scotland, didn't even become my vasal. Had the same happen to duchies to which I had claimants in my court pushing them just changes who the duke is but he's not in my realm either way so all I gain is the opinion boost?

Also what's a good way to manage a huge amount of titles? Should I hold on to all the king titles I get or hand them out to relatives once I form an empire?

Is there any way back to being catholic in a HRE that's basically 98% heretic? For some reason my ruler though it'd be a good idea to be heretic herself and I don't quite agree with her ^^

What is the benefit of granting land to holy orders (other than the minor piety bump)? It doesn't seem to increase the size of the order's army (at least, not the part that you can hire.) Is it just so they have more power to help during crusades, or is there another reason to grant them land?

if you manage to vasselise(need to be king or emperor) them you can hire them for a tiny amount of piety and no upkeep. you can do this by:
1. give them a county in your culture and realm(i.e. oxford as england). theyll ebcome independtent.
2. assasinate their rulers untill they get a ruler with your culture. grant him a duchy in your de jure relam(i.e. duchy of oxford)
3. offer them vasselistaion. maybe send hima gift if you really need to be. he shoudl now accept yur offer of vasselasation.

also, if he turns his duchy to his primary title and doesnt marry, killing him should net you the grandmaster title.

Am I the only who can't play as Gavelkind ?

Playing as the Duke of Holland, why can't I put succesion by Primogeniture just as the Duchy of Portucale ?

Oh hell no, I hate gavelkind with a passion!

You need high crown authority to implement primogeniture. In addition, there are multiple conditions associated with changing inheritance laws (must be at peace, no vassals having civil war, no vassals dislike you (baron level vassals don't count for kings and emperors,) must have held the title for 10 years.)

Is there any point to pushing someone else's claim? I married someone with a claim on Scotland but upon pushing the claim they just left my court to become queen of scotland, didn't even become my vasal. Had the same happen to duchies to which I had claimants in my court pushing them just changes who the duke is but he's not in my realm either way so all I gain is the opinion boost?

Also what's a good way to manage a huge amount of titles? Should I hold on to all the king titles I get or hand them out to relatives once I form an empire?

Your son together will inherit your kingdom and hers. It was far from pointless :)

Oh hell no, I hate gavelkind with a passion!

You need high crown authority to implement primogeniture. In addition, there are multiple conditions associated with changing inheritance laws (must be at peace, no vassals having civil war, no vassals dislike you (baron level vassals don't count for kings and emperors,) must have held the title for 10 years.)

Yes, an absolute pain in the ass.. But Portucale starts with Primogeniture, and the other Duchies i've played so far don't (Flanders and Holland). Why ? :unsure:

Short question today.
In a pure heretic kingdom (mostly all provinces 100% heretic) is there risk of other heresies appearing? Also, is it possible to have a pope go heretic? If so, would he retain his normal functionality?
Oops, there's more than 1 short question. Thanks for any info!

Short question today.
In a pure heretic kingdom (mostly all provinces 100% heretic) is there risk of other heresies appearing? Also, is it possible to have a pope go heretic? If so, would he retain his normal functionality?
Oops, there's more than 1 short question. Thanks for any info!

Found out by myself tonight. The heretic Pope installed by me acted as a regular pope while I was a non-heretic Catholic (but super friendly and was willing to excommunicate anyone I would point my finger on).
When I changed to the same heresy as the Pope, though, I could no longer normally interact with him as I would in Catholicism.
So far I am battling my own peasants and steadily converting them. No other heresies sighted.
Also, the world completely shattered because of my manipulations with religions. R.I.P. HRE

Can i ask directly for help on Holy Wars, or must i wait for them to ask ?

You can invite your allies to join (given that they didn't refuse the last time and all those conditions like not being able to ask the same ally more than once in... 5 years?, etc etc). It will be much more likely than waiting for them to ask you to join your warmonger style of life :p

Realm management question here.

I understand the malus to vassal relationships that comes from holding more than two ducal titles. Consequently, best practice on the forum is for a king to concentrate his demesne in two duchies. But suppose you have enough capacity in your demesne to hold all the counties in a third duchy as well. So you do so, but simply refrain from creating the duchy. Is there any downside to this?

Realm management question here.

I understand the malus to vassal relationships that comes from holding more than two ducal titles. Consequently, best practice on the forum is for a king to concentrate his demesne in two duchies. But suppose you have enough capacity in your demesne to hold all the counties in a third duchy as well. So you do so, but simply refrain from creating the duchy. Is there any downside to this?

Aside from the prestige you won't get for an additional ducal title, none that i can see/remember. You can even extend this and keep multiple duchies uncreated, handing out unwanted counties within these. As long as you always have more than the majority of provinces.

Oh, and in elective succession there is one less possible heir.

I changed my succesion-laws from Agnatic-Primogeniture to Agn-Cognatic-Prim, because my ruler only had one male Heir (but several daughters), and on top of that, he was severely wounded & maimed.

Against all odds the Heir survives, and is now the new King 10 years after (still wounded & maimed), but the Crown Authority has automatically changed from Medium to Minimum!
I noticed when I suddenly could not choose commanders for my army's anymore or revoke traitors titles.

Is that a side-effect of the changed succesion-law?

Cheers,

Last edited:
I changed my succesion-laws from Agnatic-Primogeniture to Agn-Cognatic-Prim, because my ruler only had one male Heir (but several daughters), and on top of that, he was severely wounded & maimed.

Against all odds the Heir survives, and is now the new King 10 years after (still wounded & maimed), but the Crown Authority has automatically changed from Medium to Minimum!
I noticed when I suddenly could not choose commanders for my army's anymore or revoke traitors titles.

Is that a side-effect of the changed succesion-law?

Cheers,

If the information on hovering the mouse when changing to that succession law doesn't say anything related, I'd say it's a bug.

Is there some way to assign a county I own to a particular dutchy that I own? My king owns two dutchies, one with four counties and one with three, and a few loose counties that are not within either dutchy.

If the information on hovering the mouse when changing to that succession law doesn't say anything related, I'd say it's a bug.

Well, then it's a bug.

It just says that your vassals wont be pleased, and you get a relations-penalty.

I don't see any direct logical connection between Succesion-Law and Crown Authority that means you loose all authority.

Cheers,

I have five sons and two daughters. I fancied one of my son's wife and had a tumble (haha) but now the kid comes up. Legitimizing the bastard daughter seems to give -50 penalty to all close family members (including wife). How long does this penalty last or is it permanent? And does it stack with multiple bastards?