• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have an antipope. Made him because popes were douches and kept excommunicating me on behalf of other rulers. Also, the antipope did a great job at distabylizing Catholic world, providing me with lots of pieces of neighboring lands to consume. Lately, though, I started having issues with heretics myself. Now I wonder about converting the country to some other religion (which isn't a problem), but I want to keep the antipope doing what he does, even when I am no longer Catholic. Is there some way to give this antipope to some other country? Even if it's hard, I would consider doing that.

Another question..
My king of Castille (me) married an independent duchess of provence. I did not click the matrimonial button, but yet, my marriage becomes matrimonial, and my children will not be my dynasty. i have divorced and tried to marry again, nit matrimonially, but it still comes up matrimonial in the character screen.
Bug? Help?
Thx

Is it possible to marry someone with an higher rank to you and if so how? For example I am a very powerful Doux of the Byzantine Empire, and the Emperor and several unmarried sisters of the same as my heir, how can I marry my heir to one of them so I can start a assassination spree and gain the Emperor title for my heir.

Another question..
My king of Castille (me) married an independent duchess of provence. I did not click the matrimonial button, but yet, my marriage becomes matrimonial, and my children will not be my dynasty. i have divorced and tried to marry again, nit matrimonially, but it still comes up matrimonial in the character screen.
Bug? Help?
Thx
Two things:

1. Are you a bastard? If you're a bastard but somehow managed to become king of Castille then you will have to marry matrilineally. There's no way round it as far as I am aware because bastards aren't supposed to carry on their dynasty.

2. Did you arrange a patrilineal (normal) betrothal when one of you were minors? It's possible that you did, and then when the youngest became of age you accepted the marriage without reading the event. Often the AI will try to trick you -- you can arrange a matrilineal marriage but still be tricked into entering into a patrilineal one (or vice versa) if it suits the AI. Make sure to read the pop-up very carefully, even if you've already organized the marriage in advance.

If neither of these is true then it's probably a bug, but I've never encountered it myself.

I find no Trees checkbox option. Error in manual?
Quite possibly -- I believe what you're after is in settings.txt, which is located in the Paradox Interactive folder in My Documents (or possibly My Games). There are a number of things in there that can be tweaked but don't appear in the game's options menu.

Two things:

1. Are you a bastard? If you're a bastard but somehow managed to become king of Castille then you will have to marry matrilineally. There's no way round it as far as I am aware because bastards aren't supposed to carry on their dynasty.

2. Did you arrange a patrilineal (normal) betrothal when one of you were minors? It's possible that you did, and then when the youngest became of age you accepted the marriage without reading the event. Often the AI will try to trick you -- you can arrange a matrilineal marriage but still be tricked into entering into a patrilineal one (or vice versa) if it suits the AI. Make sure to read the pop-up very carefully, even if you've already organized the marriage in advance.

If neither of these is true then it's probably a bug, but I've never encountered it myself.

I am not a bastard.
I did arrange bethrothal, and maybe I forgot to read the popup. I quickly divorced after realizing, and I was able to remarry her before any pregnancies. But I was sure to remarry patrilineally second time around, and still was matrilineal. Maybe its a bug if you get married first time matri and remarry, the matri will stay.

Is it possible to marry someone with an higher rank to you and if so how? For example I am a very powerful Doux of the Byzantine Empire, and the Emperor and several unmarried sisters of the same as my heir, how can I marry my heir to one of them so I can start a assassination spree and gain the Emperor title for my heir.

Click on one of the Emperor's sisters, go into diplomacy with her and click "Arrange Marriage/Betrothal" (whichever is appropriate). Choose your heir for the other partner, and hover over the expected "No" (If "Yes", marry them). It will detail why she won't marry your heir.

If the Emperor's sister is his heir, she won't accept.

It's certainly possible to marry someone a higher rank than you. As King of Trebizond, I've married my daughter to the Byzantine Emperor, and almost married my son to the Latin Emperor's daughter (he died before he could accept, the title passed to his son, and his daughter was the heir, so the proposal was rejected.).

I've submitted a rule change to increase crown authority. 27/56 votes have been cast in my favour, others seem to have ignored it. I need one more vote to get the rule change through, what on earth can I do?

I played a game as the king of Castille and conquered the kingdom of Galicia, yet I got a title loss on succesion warning even though I had primogenitor succession laws set and an eligible son, why wouldn't he inherit both kingdom titles?

I've submitted a rule change to increase crown authority. 27/56 votes have been cast in my favour, others seem to have ignored it. I need one more vote to get the rule change through, what on earth can I do?
There's a button on the laws screen (next to the text stating what law is currently being voted on) that brings up the list of opponents. Improve the opinion of one of them.

I started as a prince of Denmark, now I have become king. How best to divide the land between my vassals? Do you take the lands of those who do not like me, and allocated between favorably oriented? May favor family? What about city owners, who not like me?

I started as a prince of Denmark, now I have become king. How best to divide the land between my vassals? Do you take the lands of those who do not like me, and allocated between favorably oriented? May favor family? What about city owners, who not like me?

Just taking titles away because they don't like you may make the people who like you dislike you too, depending on how many you take. Each time you take a title back there will a relationship penalty with the rest of the lords. There are only a few ways to avoid the penalty. If a lord rebels and you defeat him/her you can take one title without the penalty. You can take all of them safely if they are a different religion, but that probably would not be the case for you.

Yes during rebellions or whatever kind of war between a vassal and his liege the borders display all rebels as independent factions.
You can check out what kind of war is ongoing where in several tooltips and screens, for example the "Current Wars" Screen (Button below the minimap) or by clicking on a county and moving your mouse over the symbol of wars and truces the owner is running at the moment.

If the rebels do not fight for independence, but to install a new liege for example, or to change a law (lowered crown authority or elective succession usually, sometimes seniority in case of an old dynasty member) then the Realm indeed reunites when the war is done, no matter who won.

I can't find the current wars button. Can someone point me to where it is?

Can someone give me some tips for fighting wars? I've tried throwing all my armies into one stack and throwing it at the enemy, but I still lose sometimes, and that leaves me unable to defend the homeland from sieges... I can avoid starting wars for a bit, but I may have a war with a vassal coming up soon.