• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i keep sending my court chaplain around to beef up my relations with the local bishops, and sometimes that works but more often he just poisons the bishop's opinions on the pope. i don't think this is a bad thing, but what good does it do me?
The taxes that your ecclesiastical vassals owe go to whichever of you or your religion's spiritual head (e.g. the Pope) they like better. Thus, poisoning papal-episcopal relations makes you richer.

Always keeps your bishops happy. They pay taxes about 3.0 - 3.5 ducats.

But if you are playing with a count, with just 2 or three 3 vassals, i strongly advise that you revoke both the Mayor and Bishop titles for yourself, specially the city. Even with the wrong type demense negative bonus, it's still a nice source of gold.

i got more questions!

i'm trying to plot against my discontent pretender half brother, but i can't bribe him with gold any longer. one bishop is close to joining my plot - he's amoral and has political concerns against my bro, but his opinion of prince aed (the brother) is too high - what are ways to lower his opinion? or boost my own? and i can't give him any land, i already gave away the one title i'm willing to in order to get a local mayor to join my plot.

i got more questions!

i'm trying to plot against my discontent pretender half brother, but i can't bribe him with gold any longer. one bishop is close to joining my plot - he's amoral and has political concerns against my bro, but his opinion of prince aed (the brother) is too high - what are ways to lower his opinion? or boost my own? and i can't give him any land, i already gave away the one title i'm willing to in order to get a local mayor to join my plot.

You can boost your own opinion within the bishop by sending your Court Chaplain to his lands. Although, i don't know how to low the bishop's opinion of your brother, i guess you can't.. :(

it's ok, the other guy i had in on the plot got drunk and told the wrong people. though now it turns out my wife is planning on killing prince aed - any way i can support her in her version of the plot?

Title Loss on Succession

I am playing my first game. My starting county is Dublin. When my father (Earl of Leinster) died, his lands passed to me. I got a message saying that when I died, my brother would get Leinster, even though I have an adult heir ("title loss on succession").

Question 1: why does title for Leinster pass to my brother when I die?

Question 2: I tried giving the title to my eldest son. However, when I did that, he left my court (I was expecting him to be a vassal or something). Is my eldest son permanently gone, or will I see him again when my initial character (his father) dies?

Thanks.

heh, i didn't have a chance cause my half brother came to age and declared war, drawing in another unhappy vassal against me. then a neighbor with claims on my brother's land came in with welsh allies fighting both sides so i'm going to have to concede the county, capture the other (non brother) vassal and just warm up for war a few years down the line with the north, hopefully end their claim at the irish throne once and for all!

I am playing my first game. My starting county is Dublin. When my father (Earl of Leinster) died, his lands passed to me. I got a message saying that when I died, my brother would get Leinster, even though I have an adult heir ("title loss on succession").

Question 1: why does title for Leinster pass to my brother when I die?

Question 2: I tried giving the title to my eldest son. However, when I did that, he left my court (I was expecting him to be a vassal or something). Is my eldest son permanently gone, or will I see him again when my initial character (his father) dies?

Thanks.

Check your succession law. Judging by your comment, it's probably Gavelkind, which means your titles are spreaded.

About your second question, it's normal. When you give a son of yours a piece of land, they become characters of their own and vassals. When your main character eventually dies, you will play as your heir, your eldest son in case.

Inheritance question
I'm a king
I have a son (who is also a vassal of mine, a count) who is married (regular marriage) to a lady who suddenly inherited a large duchy that her father detached from the parent kingdom (not mine). So the wife is now a ruler (duchess) of an independent realm.
Their son is heir to both the county X (my son's county) and to the duchy of A (the wife's realm). And I keep getting the warnings of "problematic succession".
How can I manipulate the situation so that my son's county will remain in my realm, and (if possible) bring that large independent duchy into my realm as well, through inheritance?

I've seen (somewhere in this thread) somewhat similar case, where things didn't go right, and one "fix" suggested there was to make the person in the line of inheritance (i.e. in this case my grandson) a direct vassal before he inherits the independent realm. Would this work? Would a simple count suffice or would he need to be a duke, considering that the other realm is a duchy (actually two duchies but the other seems to be the "main" duchy)?

Any thoughts? I really would loathe to lose a county smack in the middle of my realm, and I can't rely on sheer force since the independent realm is relatively well-to-do, has quite a bit manpower, and could probably fight me to a standstill.

Their son isn't your vassal, give him a landed title somewhere and he will be. Otherwise if he inherits from the mother first he will become independent until he inherits from your son.

You're set up right to bring the duchy into your kingdom, you're just 2 generations behind. Hurry up and die already!

in case anyone cares, the war i was talking about earlier this page ended in the status quo when the rebelling brother i had tried to kill ended up killing himself (i.e. "died of severe stress" which i always assume means suicide)

basically a waste of a ton of gold, men and a year for the king or ireland

in case anyone cares, the war i was talking about earlier this page ended in the status quo when the rebelling brother i had tried to kill ended up killing himself (i.e. "died of severe stress" which i always assume means suicide)

basically a waste of a ton of gold, men and a year for the king or ireland

Welcome to CK2. It's one of my favorite things about the game. It can be brutally unforgiving. Just remember it's not always your fault, hindsight is 20/20.

What exactly does the 'Buy Indulgence for your sins' thing do under intrigue? Get rid of sin traits like gluttonous or something?

What exactly does the 'Buy Indulgence for your sins' thing do under intrigue? Get rid of sin traits like gluttonous or something?

One time boost to Piety.

I noticed that a county I plan to eventually take is ruled by a child, and his sole heir is his sister (also a child). I planned to offer a betrothal between my grandson (in direct line of inheritance) and the child heir but can't; the list I get doesn't include my grandson. So then I wondered if there was any advantage to a betrothal between the child heir and my 4th son (also a child)? Or is there no point?

Their son isn't your vassal, give him a landed title somewhere and he will be. Otherwise if he inherits from the mother first he will become independent until he inherits from your son.

Ok, good to know! Thanks!!

You're set up right to bring the duchy into your kingdom, you're just 2 generations behind. Hurry up and die already!
I know I know.. the old man's made of sturdy stuff. His primary heir is already pushing 40 and causing the king all kinds of headaches by wasting his children (the king's grandchildren) to completely useless marriages. GRRRRH!! I thought I could at least have a say on my vassals' marriages but noooo...
(Did a mistake to allot a piece of land to all my sons and suddenly they stopped listening to me and apparently think they have better ideas of how to weave a bright future for the kingdom. Rrrright.. brainless wastrels.. should've just kept them in my court...)

Does anyone know where the -10 "Disgraceful" opinion modifier comes from? My ruler is a dwarf, and is getting a -30 "Dislikes Dwarf" modifier already, so I don't think it's that. Otherwise, she has all positive traits.

With the -10 "Female Ruler" malus and -10 "Female Heir" maluses in place, the game is getting a bit difficult to play. The "Disgraceful" one is just annoying on top because I can't explain it.

Does anyone know where the -10 "Disgraceful" opinion modifier comes from? My ruler is a dwarf, and is getting a -30 "Dislikes Dwarf" modifier already, so I don't think it's that. Otherwise, she has all positive traits.

With the -10 "Female Ruler" malus and -10 "Female Heir" maluses in place, the game is getting a bit difficult to play. The "Disgraceful" one is just annoying on top because I can't explain it.

did you try to assassinate someone but were discovered? or is that the "Dishonorable" malus?