• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, so there is no need for a separate "hereby I give myself a title of.." -step - good to know, all of which makes the thing even more confusing. And no, I wasn't the king, just the Duke of Östergötland and count of Öland and Västergötland. And I was never asked to vote for duchy of Småland (no prompt from the game).

If you can vote in an area, its COA should appear along the top of the laws screen. I'm sorry but I'm not sure why you can't vote on that. I hope my other answers helped, and best of luck!

If this has been asked before, I apologize. If I, as the king, build a new castle holding in a county held by a prince-bishop, do I become Count of Whereever, demoting the prince-bishop to just a bishop. Do I gain the baron of the other castle and the mayor of the city as my vassals?

If this has been asked before, I apologize. If I, as the king, build a new castle holding in a county held by a prince-bishop, do I become Count of Whereever, demoting the prince-bishop to just a bishop. Do I gain the baron of the other castle and the mayor of the city as my vassals?

No, you will just gain the barony, but the prince-bishop would stay in charge of the county.

Sorry, this is a very nooby question:

What determines personal income? If I look at the screens for the titles I own in my demesne, their balances are much, much creater than what I make personally. Is this because my tax rate only gains a fraction of the title balance? It just seems somewhat odd and a little 'hidden'.

I apologize for asking such a silly question.

What determines personal income? If I look at the screens for the titles I own in my demesne, their balances are much, much creater than what I make personally. Is this because my tax rate only gains a fraction of the title balance? It just seems somewhat odd and a little 'hidden'.

If you click on the coat of arms to bring up your realm screen, you can see all the income and expenses.

You only get a percentage of your vassals' income, affected by laws and opinion. Cities, for example, make FAR more money than a feudal holding. With harsh city tax, you can rake in tons of cash from your mayor vassals (as well as lord mayors, doges and serene doges,) especially if you can keep them happy.

And asking questions, no matter how silly you think they seem, is how we all learn the game!

Also take into account that some totals show the yearly income, while some show monthly.

As king of Ireland my daughter, who was married to the prince of England, had a son after the prince died. I can now declare war on England by pressing his claim to the throne. So, my question is will I , or any of my heirs, gain a claim to England by doing this since he is my grandson? If not what would the benefit of doing this be? Sorry if this is obvious, this is my first paradox interactive game.

As king of Ireland my daughter, who was married to the prince of England, had a son after the prince died. I can now declare war on England by pressing his claim to the throne. So, my question is will I , or any of my heirs, gain a claim to England by doing this since he is my grandson? If not what would the benefit of doing this be? Sorry if this is obvious, this is my first paradox interactive game.

On your grandson's page there should be some claims. Hover the cursor over the claim for Kingdom of England - does it say the claim can be inherited by a successor? If so, his children will have this claim. And since he is your dynasty ( I hope he is), you can arrange things so that he becomes your heir.

what screen update issue?

This one:
2) I was asked to cast my vote on a Duchy of Västergötland (as a holder of the County of Västergötland). There was one heir and one pretender on the main vote screen, and a list of other contenders in the "choose your pick" -pop-up menu. However, no matter whom I clicked on, the system didn't register my vote. Only when I clicked on the person who was already listed in the heir-pretender -screen the vote was accepted. Why? Why couldn't I vote myself for the duke? I see other counts doing that all the time...
Try leaving the laws screen and coming back; sometimes it doesn't update immediately. That may be your problem.

Also, @SaintEsteban - Thx for the answers, much appreciated! :)

If you can vote in an area, its COA should appear along the top of the laws screen. I'm sorry but I'm not sure why you can't vote on that. I hope my other answers helped, and best of luck!

Thx, and no worries m8 :)

Also, I have a theory now I'd like to test.
It seems that the "de jure" duchy boundaries and "actual" boundaries can differ. I just noticed when I was browsing through the duchies again that the "current" duchy of Småland consists of counties of Småland, Hedmark and Finnmark, while "de jure" it is Småland, Öland, and Gotland!

Could it be that the game uses "current" composition rather than "de jure" composition for voting (duchy) elections?
This COULD explain my problem, i.e. if Öland was not part of the "current" composition when I had it then of course there was no voting involved, but when I handed it over to my son it at some point got incorporated to the duchy so he got to vote ...(later again it may have gotten detached in the internal warring that followed).

On the other hand, with kingdoms the "de jure" seems to be the basis for voting rights - In my first ever game I started with the county of Dal, which (in 1066) is an independent realm but "de jure" part of kingdom of Sweden. Right on the start I was (less than politely) informed by the then king of Sweden that I can vote for the king "even though I am not part of the kingdom". (The story continues by him promptly invading my county next, at which time I decided to try another starting character :))

Ah, anyways, just shows that this game is pretty deep..

1- Where can you check the laws for a kingdom you don't own? I can't see them anywhere in the kingdom page.

2- Can someone confirm that vassals always change their capital to the closest couty they own to your capital, or am I just delusional? Or is it just the closest county to your capital IN THEIR PRIMARY TITLE?

1- Where can you check the laws for a kingdom you don't own? I can't see them anywhere in the kingdom page.

2- Can someone confirm that vassals always change their capital to the closest couty they own to your capital, or am I just delusional? Or is it just the closest county to your capital IN THEIR PRIMARY TITLE?

1. De jure kingdoms mapmode.

2. No clue, sorry.

Still confused about this voting for succession in an elective system.. anyone got a clue whether this is WAD or something fishy going on?

Let me give you an example:

Year is 2258, name of the place is Babyl.. oh, wait. No, it's 1106 and Sweden. And the game is vanilla (not modded)
Main characters:
* King Sven I af Sverker - King of Sweden, Duke of Östergötaland (holding all three respective counties within), Count of Västergötaland and (via his wife, countess of) Värmland.
* Count Kol af Sverker (Sven I's eldest son) - Count of Öland (and husband to the duchess of Uppland and Norrland).
* Duke Dan af Stenkyrka (grandson of King Sven, via daughter. Nephew to Count Kol. Unmarried and underaged with father deceased and mother still alive) - Duke of Bergslagen (holding two out of three counties there - the third is Värmland held by his grandmother/father), Count of Gotland.
* Duke Sigurd af Alsnö (unrelated to af Sverkers and af Stenkyrka's. Unmarried and underaged with both parents deceased) - Duke of Småland, Count of Småland, Hedmark, and Finnmark.

Kingdom of Sweden (Sven I) pretty much follows the borders of its "de jure" region (with small bits of Norway included). Succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Elective
County of Öland (Kol) is "de jure" part of duchy of Småland, but currently it is not part of any duchy (when looking at the county screen there is no duchy CoA in the county capital, just county CoA and kingdom CoA). Succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture
Duchy of Bergslagen (Dan) consists of its "de jure" region plus Gotland added to it. Succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture
County of Gotland (Dan) is (as said above) currently part of duchy of Bergslagen, but "de jure" it is part of duchy of Småland. For succession law see above.
Duchy of Småland (Sigurd) would "de jure" cover counties of Småland, Öland, and Gotland, but currently the counties listed under it are Småland, Hedmark, and Finnmark (the latter two of which are "de jure" members of duchy of Trondelag, Norway!). Succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Elective.

Because Duchy of Småland is "elective", the involved counts can vote for the heir for the duchy (i.e. who gets the duchy if Sigurd dies)

I took the saved game and went through all three key persons who might have a vote for Duchy of Småland (i.e. loaded the game as if I were playing them)
- Sigurd, being the duke of Småland, and the count of Småland ("de jure" and current part of duchy of Småland) as well as count of Finnmark and Hedmark (currently listed as being part of Duchy of Småland)
- Dan, being count of Gotland ("de jure" part of duchy of Småland, although currently part of duchy of Bergslagen)
- Kol, being count of Öland ("de jure" part of duchy of Småland, although currently not part of any duchy)

When looking at the law screen for duchy of Småland (as Sigurd), I could see that all three persons (Sigurd, Dan, Kol) had cast their votes. Sigurd and Dan for Dan, Kol for himself. So Dan was the heir, and Kol the pretender.
HOWEVER... when I tried to vote for the heir of Småland (which, remember, is elective)
- As Sigurd I could vote (the "nominate" button is right there in the law screen)
- As Dan I could NOT vote (the law screen had only Bergslagen and Sweden CoA's on it, with no "nominate" button for Bergslagen (primogeniture) but the button was there for Sweden (elective))
- As Kol I could NOT vote (the law screen had only Öland and Sweden CoA's on it, with no "nominate" button for either (primogeniture for Öland, counts can't vote for the king)).

I'm really baffled
1) According to the game (heir-pretender window for Småland) the guys have been voting for succession for duchy of Småland
2) Seems that voting follows "de jure" region as the votes on the Heir-Pretender window were from counts of Småland (Sigurd), Gotland (Dan) and Öland (Kol)
3) Duchy of Småland is "elective" and I've seen the voting announcements pop up in the info window... so voting IS DEFINITELY going on..
...yet if I choose to play Kol, or Dan, I cannot cast any votes for the heir to Duchy of Småland. And I could not do that when I had Öland as King (then Duke) Sven either...
...but I can still vote for the king as Dan, so voting system is working at least for the Kingdom level.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: It just occurred to me.. one possible reason could be that the game mechanic does not allow Player-Counts to vote at all, unless they vote for a duchy they already have. Otherwise Players can vote as Dukes for the king (and, assumedly, kings for the Emperor). Which means only NPC-counts cand vote for the duchy which they don't currently "own". Can anyone confirm that they have cast a vote for a duchy as a vassal (count)?

Last edited:
I have a question about the DLC Ruler designer. If I buy it and start using it, will it change the checksum? I would like to try it, but I want to be still able to play multiplayer with my friends. But if it changes my checksum, I will not be able to do that.

I have a question about the DLC Ruler designer. If I buy it and start using it, will it change the checksum? I would like to try it, but I want to be still able to play multiplayer with my friends. But if it changes my checksum, I will not be able to do that.

You can still play MP with people who don't have it. That's what I am doing.