• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I maternally marry a princess of my dynasty to a male claimant of the Holy Roman Empire, will all children produced be claimants as well? 'Cause that would mean I could take over the HRE and they would be my vassals.

There's an element of randomness. Also, every vassal has their own council, and therefore court chaplain. More than one may be working on an individual county; I think AIs will sometimes try to convert their vassals' provinces, but never their liege's.

Isn't 100+ years pushing it though, I mean not a single county in my demesne has changed, but the entire region of North Africa (under my control) aside from it is converted. I'm kind of at my wit's end.

I got a quick question.

If I've got a son who's of a different dynasty, and a son of the same dynasty, and Gavelkind succession, and I die, do I keep playing as the second son as a liege of the first, if he inherits a county in my duchy?

...Probably not, but I wanted to ask and I'd rather not find outmyself. :p

Or if I'm a septuple-Count, would I keep playing as the dynastic son on three of them?

Okay I want to know: what is wrong type government and how to fix the situation? I want to know all possible solutions.
With regard to vassal relations: Landholders are happiest when the ruler above them is of the same type as they are (e.g. a Mayor would rather be ruled by a Lord Mayor, Doge, or Serene Doge than by a Count, Duke, or King). There is no way round this.

With regard to holdings: Holdings do not provide their full benefit to their holder if said holder is of the wrong type (e.g. a feudal lord holding a city or temple).

Hi guys,

Whats the most quick and effective way to see who is most suitable for certain council positions? I click on the appropiate icon but doesnt always sort it out properly.

Also, are there any drawbacks to having a large court?

Thanks

Large court = More schemers trying to smack each-other, for one.

Hi guys,

Whats the most quick and effective way to see who is most suitable for certain council positions? I click on the appropiate icon but doesnt always sort it out properly.

Also, are there any drawbacks to having a large court?

Thanks

Suitable? Well, there's biggest score in the right area. You want a master accountant to handle the books, etc. But keep in mind that a council position is good for adding some needed positive opinion to your big and grumpy vassals, IIRC +20 and more if you fulfill their ambitions. Maybe except for spymaster for obvious reasons.

Large courts, yeah, mostly not doing anything for you. Unless you want to roleplay things a bit. You do need to fill your council but that's about it. Women in the court may try to seduce your ruler if you're into that. But a lot of random courtiers don't really do anything for you once you have your council filled with rather competent people.

I got a quick question.

If I've got a son who's of a different dynasty, and a son of the same dynasty, and Gavelkind succession, and I die, do I keep playing as the second son as a liege of the first, if he inherits a county in my duchy?

...Probably not, but I wanted to ask and I'd rather not find outmyself. :p

Or if I'm a septuple-Count, would I keep playing as the dynastic son on three of them?

Do you have the golden crown icon at the top of the screen? If not, you will keep going as the eldest legitimate son who is getting land. What did you get a matrilineal marriage?

I'm King of Portugal and my wife is a Princess of England. She has a Claim on the English Crown, but i can't declare war.. Says that i don't have a valid casus beli.

Also when i place de cursor on the "claim shield" it says: "Will not be inherited unless pressed by war". I don't get it :(

Isn't 100+ years pushing it though, I mean not a single county in my demesne has changed, but the entire region of North Africa (under my control) aside from it is converted. I'm kind of at my wit's end.

That is absolutely, completely ridiculous, but it uses the MTTH (mean time to happen) system, which has a lot of randomness. Sorry but I don't know what else to say.

Also the other counties in your demesne will not change; only the one where the inquisition is.

On the plus side, they're probably all your culture now!

Wow what a thread!

Okay I want to know: what is wrong type government and how to fix the situation? I want to know all possible solutions.

It means you have a burgher vassal as a feudal lord. This means a lord mayor, doge or serene doge, with a city as their capital. To remove the penalty you need to give a feudal vassal their title.

Ecclesiastical rulers don't seem to have this penalty.

I'm King of Portugal and my wife is a Princess of England. She has a Claim on the English Crown, but i can't declare war.. Says that i don't have a valid casus beli.

Also when i place de cursor on the "claim shield" it says: "Will not be inherited unless pressed by war". I don't get it :(

Check the succession laws. Unfortunately, her claim is worthless, sorry bud. You can't press a female's claim on a purely agnatic throne. And since you can't start a war, you can't make the claim inheritable, so it dies with her.

i can t seem to interact with other characters trough the diplomacy tab...i click on send gift for exemple and nothing happens,same for marriage.Just the declare war works ,same for the chancellors,i click appoint and chose an characters and still...nothing happens !i ve modded the game,could this be the problem?

Another noobie quick question: Voting for the succession (elective system)

I understand how voting is done (technically) - you get a message on the screen and by clicking on that you get to cast your vote. Also, you can vote only if you hold directly a certain title (duchy for voting kings, count for voting dukes).

What I don't understand is
1) I held a county (Öland), which is part of the de jure duchy of Småland. However, I was never able to cast my vote on Småland dukes. Yet when I gave the said county to my son, he promptly started casting votes on the duchy. What gives?
(note: I got the county by imprisoning and revoking the title from the previous count - my vassal - as he was plotting against me. I never actually GAVE myself the title of the count of Öland (wouldn't even know how to do it tbh) - could this be the reason)?
2) I was asked to cast my vote on a Duchy of Västergötland (as a holder of the County of Västergötland). There was one heir and one pretender on the main vote screen, and a list of other contenders in the "choose your pick" -pop-up menu. However, no matter whom I clicked on, the system didn't register my vote. Only when I clicked on the person who was already listed in the heir-pretender -screen the vote was accepted. Why? Why couldn't I vote myself for the duke? I see other counts doing that all the time...
3) So far I've only been able to vote for duchies when I've been prompted to do so on the main screen (the icon that appears on the top of the screen). How do I go about recasting my vote?
4) How can I manage my mayors? I know how to do so for bishops to ensure a good steward gets in place but the mayors seem to be chronically inept and I have no way to interfere!!!! ARGH! :-D

I'm sure it's all perfectly logical, I just fail to see how... :)

1) I held a county (Öland), which is part of the de jure duchy of Småland. However, I was never able to cast my vote on Småland dukes. Yet when I gave the said county to my son, he promptly started casting votes on the duchy. What gives?
(note: I got the county by imprisoning and revoking the title from the previous count - my vassal - as he was plotting against me. I never actually GAVE myself the title of the count of Öland (wouldn't even know how to do it tbh) - could this be the reason)?

This is what people mean by giving yourself the title. If someone else has it, you revoke or usurp it. As for why you can't vote, I'm not sure. Were you king of Sweden? I don't think you can vote on your vassals' titles, but I'm unsure of that, too. Not a good start to helping out here, sorry, but I hope my other answers guide you a bit!

2) I was asked to cast my vote on a Duchy of Västergötland (as a holder of the County of Västergötland). There was one heir and one pretender on the main vote screen, and a list of other contenders in the "choose your pick" -pop-up menu. However, no matter whom I clicked on, the system didn't register my vote. Only when I clicked on the person who was already listed in the heir-pretender -screen the vote was accepted. Why? Why couldn't I vote myself for the duke? I see other counts doing that all the time...

Try leaving the laws screen and coming back; sometimes it doesn't update immediately. That may be your problem.

3) So far I've only been able to vote for duchies when I've been prompted to do so on the main screen (the icon that appears on the top of the screen). How do I go about recasting my vote?

You can vote from the laws screen at any time. Big blue nominate button under the heir/pretenders display.

4) How can I manage my mayors? I know how to do so for bishops to ensure a good steward gets in place but the mayors seem to be chronically inept and I have no way to interfere!!!! ARGH! :-D

You're stuck with whoever gets put there.

Do you have the golden crown icon at the top of the screen? If not, you will keep going as the eldest legitimate son who is getting land. What did you get a matrilineal marriage?

Must have asked the question the wrong way in my haziness, this is what happens when I browse forums in the early morning. The 'me' at that point was a woman, so I DIDN'T get a Matrilineal (because I figured either her brother or one of her two older sisters would get the throne instead, and I could let HER be married normally to protect the dynasty.

This is what people mean by giving yourself the title. If someone else has it, you revoke or usurp it. As for why you can't vote, I'm not sure. Were you king of Sweden? I don't think you can vote on your vassals' titles, but I'm unsure of that, too. Not a good start to helping out here, sorry, but I hope my other answers guide you a bit!

Ok, so there is no need for a separate "hereby I give myself a title of.." -step - good to know, all of which makes the thing even more confusing. And no, I wasn't the king, just the Duke of Östergötland and count of Öland and Västergötland. And I was never asked to vote for duchy of Småland (no prompt from the game).

Try leaving the laws screen and coming back; sometimes it doesn't update immediately. That may be your problem.
Thx, will keep that in mind!

You can vote from the laws screen at any time. Big blue nominate button under the heir/pretenders display.
Ok. Yea I know the button, what I meant is how do I access the laws screen of OTHER duchies than the one I already own? The only ones I can get my hands on are my duchy and Sweden (via the big coats-of-arms on the top of the laws screen). Although I own a county in the de jure duchy of Västergötland there is no CoA for that duchy in the laws screen?

You're stuck with whoever gets put there.
Blasted! Sigh.. even (*cough*assisted*cough*) fate won't help me then, because the guys next in line are often even worse than the current holders..

i can t seem to interact with other characters trough the diplomacy tab ...!i ve modded the game,could this be the problem?

I had a similar-sounding issue when voting for successor, and it was suggested that there may be screen update issues. Never had such a problem with diplomacy, however.

You might want to check from modding subforum if the modding is known to cause such issues (if you used a ready-made mod) or if what you have done could cause a problem (if you modded the files on your own).