• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the difference when giving out a landed title e.g. a county and selecting or not selecting the checkbox which is something about "all lesser titles"? (I think. Not at the game so can't recall exactly).

In handing out counties I don't think the checkbox does anything at all any more. I thought before 1.05 I had been handing out Counties and keeping the lower lords as my vassals unless I checked this, but now the Bishop and Mayor go to the new Count whether I want them to or not. I've tested my theory in the sense that checking the box on giving a county away has no real effect (it increases the verbiage), but I have not gone back to older versions to see whether my memory is correct.

Presumably for a barony there would be no effect because it's already the lowest form of title, but with a county for example you may own a city, a bishopric and a barony within that county (say if you conquered the province during an invasion) so you could either tick the box and give all of the titles to one man, or hand them out individually to different people.

Question about elective succession.

Let's say I hold 1 county in a 3 county duchy as well as the duchy title. The other counties are not my vassals. I also hold another county outside the De Jure duchy.

The count outside is of course a elector for the Duchy title but would he gain anything else from it if he nominates himself?. When I nominate my son I'm giving him all my titles right, I can't nominate different people for different titles.

So let's say somehow the other counts win (one of them is nominated by himself and the other) my son would still get my county, both of them?

so is there a way to set dfferent baron holdings as county capitals? all of mine are castles...would like a city here and there where its safe an cash in the extra $$$ it makes...

so is there a way to set dfferent baron holdings as county capitals? all of mine are castles...would like a city here and there where its safe an cash in the extra $$$ it makes...
Give the castle to the local mayor and the capital automatically switches to the City, because the proper holding of a mayor is a City. The province becomes a Prince-Mayoralty or something like that. After the switch you can take the city from the mayor and, as long as you yourself do not own the barony, the capital should remain the city. The moment you claim the barony for yourself, the capital should switch to the proper holding, which you say do not want.

Granted, you will lose 75% of the income from the city when you own the city itself because you are not a mayor (-75% wrong-holder-type penalty, mayor should own cities/mayoralties/doges, bishops should stick to temples/bishoprics/prince bishoprics, lord vassals should own baronies/counties/duchies), so you may actually earn more money letting the mayor keep the city depending on tax laws.

For example, harsh city tax will net you at least 45% from the cities within your demesne, normally more than you would get directly owning the city unless you place a super-steward on tax collection, which is only good for one province.

3 Marriage Questions:
1) Why can't I as King of Norway marry or arrange betrothal for my sons (they are of age, single and even want to marry)?
2) Is there any benefit in arranging marriages for your vassals who want to marry - i.e. should I just let them find their own brides?
3) Is there any special point in arranging a betrothal, or is it just a way to secure a future marriage for your devious plotting?

Question about elective succession.

Let's say I hold 1 county in a 3 county duchy as well as the duchy title. The other counties are not my vassals. I also hold another county outside the De Jure duchy.

The count outside is of course a elector for the Duchy title but would he gain anything else from it if he nominates himself?. When I nominate my son I'm giving him all my titles right, I can't nominate different people for different titles.

So let's say somehow the other counts win (one of them is nominated by himself and the other) my son would still get my county, both of them?

The elective is for the Ducal title. Whoever wins the 'election' just gets the title of Duke and all of its advantages. No counties would change hands, iirc.

3 Marriage Questions:
1) Why can't I as King of Norway marry or arrange betrothal for my sons (they are of age, single and even want to marry)?
2) Is there any benefit in arranging marriages for your vassals who want to marry - i.e. should I just let them find their own brides?
3) Is there any special point in arranging a betrothal, or is it just a way to secure a future marriage for your devious plotting?

1. Do they by any chance have their own countries or the like? ... if they do they're no longer directly under you to a degree that you can decide who they should marry

2. +15 in relations for completeting their wish

3. securing future marriage, and, if make a martilinial easier to shallow i seem to remember (might be wrong on the latter)

I've noticed that after every single update some dinasty's and title's heraldic change..
Now the Holy Roman Empire shield looks like the Kingdom of Scotland, with an yellow theme and a red lion on the center. Also the Kingdom of Navarra has an yellow shield with the Two-headed Imperial Eagle.. Last but not least, the Kingdom of Portugal heraldic is now yellow with a man on a horse bearing a spear..

Somebody is facing the same problems ? :(

I've read way too much of this thread, and the information was incredibly helpful, thank you all.

That said, I have a first question (and first post) of my own:

I'm the King of Wales, and I have a granddaughter with a claim to the kingdom of England, yes I am unable to press her claim.
She got the claim through matrilineal marriage (Prince of England - My daughter) and it is a "cannot be inherited unless pressed in war" claim.
Any idea's as to why I can't press this claim?
Is it because she's under age?
Or does she need to be married, as she couldn't be a queen in her own right?

Any insight appreciated :)

-Fin

The elective is for the Ducal title. Whoever wins the 'election' just gets the title of Duke and all of its advantages. No counties would change hands, iirc.

Well riddle me this. What if you hold two ducal titles. Electors in one of them are voting for a different guy. Does your heir still get the other title? Is the game smart enough for that?

If someone has 1 county and 1 dutchy title and then looses the county to someone else pressing a claim, what happens to the dutchy title for the now "countless" lord?

Assume that no one has more than 50%+ of the counties in the dutchy.

Does the dutchy title disappear and then need to be created again?

Question (with 60/99 pages unread, so sorry if repeat):

I have a Castille game going swimmingly and one of my sisters was my staunchest ally so she became matrilinearly married to some nobody and I was able to give her a duchy since she had a county. Fast forward 20 years and somehow she's a Doge and her 2 counties are Grand Cities. Naturally the wrong government type etc pops up now.

How do you fix this? I fixed some Muslim holdings being baronies by simply giving them to a count (EL CIDDDDD) but I've never seen what was my county turn into a Republic spontaneously. I don't even know what my options are are but I'm not happy about her getting old now and the successor is some shmuck in her court and not my carefully placed dynasty. Not to mention the penalties suck and it's about 1/4 my realm.

If someone has 1 county and 1 dutchy title and then looses the county to someone else pressing a claim, what happens to the dutchy title for the now "countless" lord?

Assume that no one has more than 50%+ of the counties in the dutchy.

Does the dutchy title disappear and then need to be created again?

If the Duke has a count vassal he will steal a county from one of his surviving vassals.

If the Duke/King has no count vassals left then the title will be destroyed and need to be recreated.

The one province King of Aragon is a simple way to test this.

Regarding Crown Authority in Empires and vassal kingdoms:

If I have it correctly, CA applies to all Imperial holdings, unless they belong to a de jure kingdom that has been created. In that case, it is that kingdom's CA that applies. For example, if the HRE has high CA and no Kingdom of Burgundy has been created, I wouldn't be able to inherit Dauphine by marriage because, if Burgundy does not exist, its crown laws do not apply. If the Kingdom of Burgundy was created and its CA was Medium or lower, would I be able to inherit Dauphine regardless of whatever CA the Empire had?

Even if the above is true, if I was in a position to instead inherit the entire Kingdom, would that inheritance be affected by Imperial or by Burgundian law?

A quick question: I have it set so that I receive a pause and pop-up every time a building is completed in my demse. However, I can't find any way to get any kind of notification when buildings are completed in lands held by my vassals. Since I have yet to see any vassal actually try to build anything on their own, it falls to me to do it for them. This process, in turn, becomes a real pain in the butt because I don't receive any notifications when any of their buildings are finished.

How can I fix this, other than simply refusing to title-out anything to vassals and suffer "Demse to Big" penalties 'til my dying day?

^^ Buying buildings for your vassals is seriously a waste of money, if you want to get them jumpstarted then gift them the money at least for the relationship boost. They will do it if they have the money, though!

I guess the only problem is that if they're counts they won't necessarily go for economic buildings first as a count. If they're barons or bishops you're talking about you're way better off letting them do it with their money.

Sorry I know that doesn't answer your direct question but I used to try to manage vassal buildings too and I finally just let them alone and they do fine.

Question (with 60/99 pages unread, so sorry if repeat):

I have a Castille game going swimmingly and one of my sisters was my staunchest ally so she became matrilinearly married to some nobody and I was able to give her a duchy since she had a county. Fast forward 20 years and somehow she's a Doge and her 2 counties are Grand Cities. Naturally the wrong government type etc pops up now.

How do you fix this? I fixed some Muslim holdings being baronies by simply giving them to a count (EL CIDDDDD) but I've never seen what was my county turn into a Republic spontaneously. I don't even know what my options are are but I'm not happy about her getting old now and the successor is some shmuck in her court and not my carefully placed dynasty. Not to mention the penalties suck and it's about 1/4 my realm.

In addition to "how to fix?", I'd ask "why did this happen?" so I can prevent it in the future. I know she was a Duchess when I gave it to her and I gave her a province I controlled in the de jure duchy (and it had a castle). I can think of no reason this particular case was special other than she has a claim on one of my king titles being my sister and all.

Can the AI just spontaneously decide to change holding types and if so why would they?

Last edited: