• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a way to keep your liege from sending you along with your levies when he raises them? My king thought it would be a good idea to go crusading and he raised my levies to take with him and I was leading them, as is expected. We ended up getting slaughtered in the desert and I never even saw my 40th birthday.

No I wasn't talking about me. It was a the holder of the county who had the 'wrong government type' (-30) penalty. Here's the screenshot:
View attachment 48121
His title is "Lord Mayor Jaime of Aracenas', and his landed titles are 'grand city of aracenas', 'city of teruel' and 'city of algeciras', so why does he get that penalty?

I think you're confusing wrong government type with wrong governor type.

I don't have the game open at the moment, but I was under the impression that you get the relationship boost with the tutor's liege. Does it show an Educated Child (or whatever it is) bonus for Bishop Abelard's liege?

His liege is myself and there's no modifier except personal diplomacy. May want to delete the screenshots out of your quote :)

Gavelkind is good because it makes your demesne (land you control directly) 30% larger but upon your death your titles are split up among your eligible legit sons (or daughters if you're Basque and have Cognatic Gavelkind) Basically your heir will get your major title and your other heirs will get the rest. I've pasted this from the awesome guide thread which I linked below. This guide answers a LOT of questions and made the game a hell of a lot more fun for me.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588062-GUIDE-An-in-depth-guide-to-CKII

So your titles are passed on and you have no claim on them at all? They don't see you as their liege anymore?

this is probably a silly question, do castles versus cities give you more better trained troops or do cities give you just more troops. please.

I did a little investigating since I wasn't 100% sure of my answer but it looks like Castles provide the most levies and then cities and churches vary. But a lot of that is affected by your laws. The further the laws are for each levy type to the right the bigger the levy you'll get. Additionally your vassal levies are based partially on how much they like you so higher taxes on that specific vassal type will indirectly lead to lower levels of the same type.

During crusades I think Churches start supplying crazy good troops but I only read that in another thread I have no personal experience with it.

So your titles are passed on and you have no claim on them at all? They don't see you as their liege anymore?

It depends on your titles I think. If you are for example the Duke and they inherit a county in your duchy I'm pretty sure that they would see you as liege. I know in kingdoms the kingdom will generally split apart but if they like you (which they generally will if you run gavelkind) you can often use diplomacy to request they become your vassals and they will do so peacefully quite a bit.

His liege is myself and there's no modifier except personal diplomacy. May want to delete the screenshots out of your quote :)

Done. I basically left them in there so that you'd be sure to see the post. :)

I've never tried leaving my children with someone in my own demesne. I like to get the relations boost so I usually send them elsewhere. I'll play around with what you are doing and see what results I get. If it's supposed to give a boost to your relationship with the liege it would make sense that you're not getting it since you're the liege.

I don't have the game open at the moment, but I was under the impression that you get the relationship boost with the tutor's liege. Does it show an Educated Child (or whatever it is) bonus for Bishop Abelard's liege?

His liege is myself and neither one of us have anything related to wards or education with each other (unless i take a ward away then he gets a -15 penalty) Additionally the text when giving a child to educate specifically says PERSONKIDTO Opinion of YOURLIEGE increased by 20 and PERSONKIDAWAYFROM Opinion of your liege decreased by 15

Reposting this :eek:

Succession question:

I can invite an old childless guy to my court and press his claim for a duchy through war. If he dies without heir after I made him duke, who gets the title?

edit: I'd make him my vassal before making him duke.

Done. I basically left them in there so that you'd be sure to see the post. :)

I've never tried leaving my children with someone in my own demesne. I like to get the relations boost so I usually send them elsewhere. I'll play around with what you are doing and see what results I get. If it's supposed to give a boost to your relationship with the liege it would make sense that you're not getting it since you're the liege.

I did a test game as William and sent my son to a dude in France. It said Philippe would have +20 with me. I unpaused game and waited till he accepted and there was no +20 with the guardian or Philippe towards me or anyone else that I could see. So it doesn't appear to be working inside my own area or outside.

How can I claim a title my wife is entitled to?

I wanna say that based on a post I randomly recall that you can't press a females claim (but you could have a son from her and press it from him) unless you're the female. But to confirm you can try declaring war on the person who owns the claim currently and see if you have a Casus Belli vs them based on her claim.

How do the stats/traits/etc of a guardian affect their wards?

Do all "education = yes" traits have an equal chance of being passed on to the ward, or are there modifiers? Will a guardian will high MIL encourage MIL traits, for example? Does the learning stat of the guardian do anything?

Wrong holder type is -75% to income, and it will apply to every bishopric or city that you hold directly. With cities, you're generally much better off handing them to a mayor. With bishoprics, you run the risk of getting no income at all if the bishop likes the pope or patriarch better than he likes you—bishops pay their taxes to whomever they like better.

If your territory is small, you might be better off holding everything personally, but once your kingdom is large you'll probably want to stick to castles rather than wasting demesne limit on cities or bishoprics.

As far as I know, the ring button will show you everyone who would be willing to accept either a marriage or a betrothal. I could be wrong, though. It's definitely not filtered by religion, though—I've seen everything from Cathars to Tengrists on there.

Playing as Connacht, I conquered a county "of the wrong type". The only settlement in the county was was a bishopric (run by a bishop). Once I built a castle in the county, the "wrong type" tag went away.

Your heir gets the highest ranked title you have. If this is a duchy, he'll get that. If you have more then 1 duchy, the others are split up amonsgt your other children, and since they'll be of the same rank as your heir, they'll split. The only way to keep the realm together in a gavelkind (that I know of) is making sure your heir has a higher title (in the duchy example, a kingdom).

So, for example, lets say I have 3 sons, SonA, SonB, and SonC. Lets say I have 2 duchy titles. Upon my death, SonA will get a duchy, SonB will get a duchy, and SonC wouldn't get anything. Since SonA and SonB are the same rank now (both dukes), SonB will split to form his own duchy since he'll be like "well, we're the same rank, so I dont have to be your vassal anymore!"

Now, lets say we have the same setup, but we add a king title in there. So 2 duchy titles and 1 king title. SonA would inherit kingdom, SonB will get 1 duchy, and SonC would get 1 duchy. Since your heir is a king, SonB and SonC won't split, since you're a higher rank.

NOTE: This may ONLY work if the duchies are within the SAME DE JURE KINGDOM that the king title is for. I'm not 100% sure on that.

EDIT: MY question for you guys... when my king dies, does his gold pass to the heir, or should I try spending it all before I kick the bucket?

Playing as Connacht, I conquered a county "of the wrong type". The only settlement in the county was was a bishopric (run by a bishop). Once I built a castle in the county, the "wrong type" tag went away.

Do you have save games of that? I'd be curious to see the picture of the town before and after the castle finished. I.E. was the Bishopric in the top right then when you built the castle it took the place as the county seat (thus removing the wrong type penalty) and the bishopric moved to one of the other slots? Interesting.

Do you know what factors decide where will be the capital of your demesne? I don't mean moving it yourself. I.e. in 1066 Izayaslav Rurikovich starts with several duke titles. Why he's demesne is called Duchy of Turov, not Duchy of Kiev as it would be more historical? Why the capital is in Turov? I've searched all history files but there are only capitals defined for kingdoms and duchies. What if a given character has several on par titles? How it is decided then?

Do you know what factors decide where will be the capital of your demesne? I don't mean moving it yourself. I.e. in 1066 Izayaslav Rurikovich starts with several duke titles. Why he's demesne is called Duchy of Turov, not Duchy of Kiev as it would be more historical? Why the capital is in Turov? I've searched all history files but there are only capitals defined for kingdoms and duchies. What if a given character has several on par titles? How it is decided then?

AI can switch their capital and thier main title. So he might have the main title as Duchy of Turov, while he chose his capital within the Duchy of Kiev.