• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey everyone, great thread with tons of useful info.

So my own question, how do you get rid of the heretic stronghold effect from provinces? I captured some pagan provinces with this effect and even after converting the provinces to Catholic the effect remains.

On the screen where you upgrade holds, there's a grayed out "create vassal" icon. It also says "can only create barons in owned, minor baronies", yet I can't find one hold where I can use that option. What am I doing wrong?

You will have this option if you own a city or a church. Using it will create a mayor or bishop to hold it under you.

I'd like to know an answer to this too. Playing as Sicily, I'd like to start expanding into Italy but I have a feeling my Norman culture is going to clash with the Italian culture.

It's a random event which happens very rarely (mtth = 100 years, I think). For it to happen, the province in question must be of a different culture to the ruler, and either be next to a province of the ruler's culture, or be of a different religion to the ruler.

I'd like to know an answer to this too. Playing as Sicily, I'd like to start expanding into Italy but I have a feeling my Norman culture is going to clash with the Italian culture.

I think it's just a natural progression when the rulers are that culture. Nothing you can do to speed it up other than place members of the culture you want in charge. Alternatively, you can get members of your court who are the correct culture to avoid revolt risk. Tutor distant relatives under some Italian mayors and bishops to get them to culture change.

What's the best way to get people to like you? I'm having trouble passing laws because my dukes and counts don't think very highly of me, and there's only so many honorary titles I can hand out. It seems quite hard indeed for a large kingdom, like France, to pass laws. :(

Also, is Scotland considered a good "starter" nation? Out of the way, won't be bothered by England for quite some time, few duchies and counties to contend with? I'm thinking of playing a full game with them.

It's a random event which happens very rarely (mtth = 100 years, I think). For it to happen, the province in question must be of a different culture to the ruler, and either be next to a province of the ruler's culture, or be of a different religion to the ruler.

Bingo. Meaning to get Norman culture in Sicily you either need to create a crazy line through France and Italy, connecting Normandy to Sicily, or conquer the Muslims in Sicily and do not switch their religion until one province becomes Norman. High stewardship (up to 13) helps, it can bring it down to 30 years or so.

What's the best way to get people to like you? I'm having trouble passing laws because my dukes and counts don't think very highly of me, and there's only so many honorary titles I can hand out. It seems quite hard indeed for a large kingdom, like France, to pass laws. :(

Also, is Scotland considered a good "starter" nation? Out of the way, won't be bothered by England for quite some time, few duchies and counties to contend with? I'm thinking of playing a full game with them.

You can look at what is causing the negative relations and attempt to ameliorate them, and of course waiting for the long reign bonus to build up helps.

Hey everyone, great thread with tons of useful info.

So my own question, how do you get rid of the heretic stronghold effect from provinces? I captured some pagan provinces with this effect and even after converting the provinces to Catholic the effect remains.

An inquisition.

Last edited:
Is there any mapview to see which regions can raise what number of troops? I don't really like raising my entire realm levies, and it's kind of a pain to click through all of my regions to see which ones are worthwhile raising.

1. Gifting is an easy way to increase relations +20, there are also the non landed titles you can give which increase relations 10-15, and of course you can send your kids to be educated by your vassals, which also increases relations.

2. Scotland can be a good nation to play as, you may even be able to take some land from England depending on who wins their little war and if you can get a claim fast enough.

What's the ideal crown authority level?

I always though the bigger the better, but it seems if I do this the realm implodes whenever it's succession time

I'm a big fan of Low/Medium. Being able to revoke titles is a must, and if you have significant external threats, the no internal wars is very nice. You should generally be able to keep the relations above the point that minimum levy numbers matter, and those laws also come with a increase to revolt risk, in addition to the decreased relations.

My oldest daughter, who is my heir, has a claim to the kingdom of France. France has agnastic succession though. Does this prevent women from ever pressing their claims, even if they are landed? :sad:

She should be able to press them, just not inherit.

Technology tab:

What exactly is it telling me when I click on Demesne vs. Realm? Here is what I am theorizing:

The Demesne button shows me the average value for my Demesne and the Realm button shows me the highest value in the Realm. That seems to correspond to what it says on the tab, but since I have only a county Demesne my Demesne is 1. My Realm is 3 because of the 2 holdings in my county. However, since I see different data on the Tech tab when I switch from Demesne to Realm what exactly is being included in the Realm? Since my Demesne and Realm are only one county shouldn't these values be the same, i.e. the highest == the average. Is Realm including my king's territories, as well? If so, then we seem to have multiple uses of the term 'Realm' being used.

If I remember correctly, the gold stars (it's more brown) are average, the blue are highest, for which ever view you have it set to. The demesne and realm buttons select the two different views. So if demesne is selected, the blue is the highest of your counties, the gold is the average of your counties. If realm is selected, it is the highest of you and your vassals. Realm goes down in tier, but not up, so a duke, isn't checking his king's tech on that screen.
I have no clue what realm average is showing. A useful thing on that screen, to the left of each tech is a button that changes the map mode to tech spread mode, fun to look at, and to use for targeting the spy master.

Three Questions:
I'm playing as the Dutchy of Holland, after 60 years I've successfully expanded my realm, but as my successional laws are Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind the Dutchy of Brabant which I spent the last 20 years gaining control of through claims etc has now passed to my Duke's half brother when his father died, which would be fine but his allegience seems to be to the Kaiser instead of to my Duke. Are my only options here to declare war on my half-brother or assassinate him?

Secondly: How can I possibly change my succession laws when the HRE's Crown Authority never increases, am I basically going to have to deal with this problem over and over now I've got a second Dutchy? I've contemplated declaring independance from the Empire but the HRE has a super stack of 10k and I can barely field 2k troops :(

Lastly: Is there anyway to pick a side in a civil war / plot after its started. The HRE has fractured into two halves over Crown Authority, and the faction that is at war with the Emperor is the faction my family has strong marital ties to but the game forces me to fight on the side of the Kaiser. Is there no way for me to switch sides? Whilst lowering Crown Authority is not really in my best interests game wise, in terms of story/role playing its ridiculous for my troops to be levied to put down this civil war.

If you are next in succession you could kill him, or you can go to war to press the claim.
I believe, if you declare independence from the HRE you are still effected by it's crown authority, you are in it's de jure lands. I'll try to confirm this later. Just checked with Lubeck, even while not part of the HRE, since Lubeck, and Holland, are de jure vassals the crown law effects them. If Italy or sicily the Kingdom title would provide escapem but... Going elective will solve your gravel kind problem though, just maintain good relations with vassals.
You and you levies are bound by law to fight for the empire, you must do that unless you declare independence, or are called into the war by an ally. You could attempt to sour relations to decrease the portions of you levies he gains, or call them all up yourself, not worth it though.

My succession law is cognatic gavelkind
My character is a duke in duchy of 4 counties. 3 land vassals : brother, nephew, non-related.
Duke is pretty old and has only 4 daughters. I understand when he dies his eldest daughter will inherit the Duchy and the only directly controlled county. She is married though and have 2 sons and 2 daughters from her husband from other dynasty. All of the children have his dynasty badge.
Does this mean that (if I don't change my succession law) when duke's daughter dies is game over ?

Switch to elective and find a blood relative to nominate. The brother will do, or have one of the daughters get into a matrilineal marriage, which means the kids will be her dynasty, so that she could pass it on. You could kill off/divorce the first daughter husband, and then kill all the kids, then have her matrilineal marry, but that'sa bit much. Use either the brother or another daughter, and go elective.

Last edited:
Is there any mapview to see which regions can raise what number of troops? I don't really like raising my entire realm levies, and it's kind of a pain to click through all of my regions to see which ones are worthwhile raising.
There's no map view, but page three of the ledger (button below the minimap) will tell you all that and more.

My queen (wife) seems to hate me (-100) partly because of "legitimized bastard" (-50). Anybody know what it means? I'm not a bastard, and my heir is mine and the queens son, so no bastard there either.

She's currently plotting to kill me, and as a duchess in one of my duchies she's at 50% revolt risk. Thing is, despite everything, I love my queen and wouldn't want anything "unfortunate" to happen to her..

Im a little bit lost. Message says to me, that I can de iure press for claim (duchy, Im king)...but...how? Cant find those buttons...:)

Thank you, its elementary knowledge, but I dont have it...
It's a de jure ducal claim*, either of yours or of a duke of yours. You press it by going to war with the current holder (or his top liege, depending), if you win the war, the holder of the ducal title (you or your vassal depending) gets the county.

There are no elementary questions in CK, it's a complicated game. Ok, if you asked how do I install the game, that would be pretty bad.

*It could also be a de jure county claim, replace county with baron and duke with county.

My queen (wife) seems to hate me (-100) partly because of "legitimized bastard" (-50). Anybody know what it means? I'm not a bastard, and my heir is mine and the queens son, so no bastard there either.

She's currently plotting to kill me, and as a duchess in one of my duchies she's at 50% revolt risk. Thing is, despite everything, I love my queen and wouldn't want anything "unfortunate" to happen to her..
Odd...
Do you have a screen shot? Was she married before, did the first husband have a bastard son? Are you sure you are not sirring bastards? No shame in admitting it to us.

Last edited:
Im a little bit lost. Message says to me, that I can de iure press for claim (duchy, Im king)...but...how? Cant find those buttons...:)

Thank you, its elementary knowledge, but I dont have it...

Go into diplomacy with the title holder (or if he's a vassal, his liege). It will be an option under "Declare War"

...and of course you can send your kids to be educated by your vassals, which also increases relations...

Are there any limitations on this? I've noticed in several games that my bishops don't appear to get any bonus from educating my kids even though they have the highest learning and would seemingly make great teachers. They do get penalties when I take kids away from them.

Does anyone know if using your Chancellor to Sow Dissent works if you use him in a part of your own realm? I'll use an image to explain why I'm not sure whether it does. Here are 3 images.

The first shows the tooltip for looking at your Council.

20FEB12CK1.jpg

Note how the next image shows similar information when my Chancellor is in a foreign country.

20FEB12CK2.jpg

However, when I put the Chancellor in a friendly province the tooltips shows no % for various effects. Does this mean it will have none a friendly province or is it just a tooltip omission?

20FEB12CK3.jpg

Did you assign him using the sow dissent click button or just move him?

I've tried it both ways and get consistent results over multiple games and countries. I've never seen any chances of results listed when I use it in a part of the player's kingdom. I'd hate to waste my time with the Chancellor in a neighboring county if nothing's going to happen.

It's a de jure ducal claim*, either of yours or of a duke of yours. You press it by going to war with the current holder (or his top liege, depending), if you win the war, the holder of the ducal title (you or your vassal depending) gets the county.

There are no elementary questions in CK, it's a complicated game. Ok, if you asked how do I install the game, that would be pretty bad.

Thanks, I realized that war is only solution. Those pitiful fools called to arms another opposing lords...my swiss marceneraries crushed them all and i forced them to yield their duchies... coup de grace of my tyrant!