• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mercenaries seem to be disappearing in my game. There used to be about 11 mercenary bands, now there are 8. Is this a bug?

Also, I've played about 40 years of game time and still no crusade. Bug or is that normal?

It depends from the year you started on. I usually don't have a crusade 'til about 1100

Is there a way to change my main holding from one demense to another (eg Leinster to Dublin)?

To expand on earlier answer, availability of mercenaries depends on the distance between your capital and mercenaries' home province.

Hmm that is strange! Yes I changed my capitol from coruna in galicia to badjaoz in southern spain. Now there are a lot less mercenaries.

Hmm that is strange! Yes I changed my capitol from coruna in galicia to badjaoz in southern spain. Now there are a lot less mercenaries.

I feel like it makes sense; if they're too far away, travel expenses would mean it's less profitable for them to serve you. Might make sense if they were just available for a higher initial price (but not maintenance) by my logic, but that's just how I'd explain it.

I would guess its based on de jure kingdom or something like that. You get a LOT of mercs in italy.

hello, I play as byzantine emperor and I'm a bit confused.
I get -15 "elector titles held" when I get a second duchy from my de jure empire, however if it's not, (let's say duchy of tunis) I dont get that modifier.
while having only 1 duchy from my de jure empire, if I create kingdom of bulgaria, I get that -15 opinion modifier with all my vassals again.

So if I create kingdoms, I cant I even hold 1 duchy, which holds my empire capital ?

lwaKH.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's because you then hold 2 votes within your empire. As kings and dukes vote. Not sure though. Since Tunis is not in the de jure empire, it doesn't vote. Thus it doesn't count towards elector titles. I haven't played with elective law yet. But yea I guess that does hamper things that you can't hold more than 2 higher titles. The screenshot you show has 2 duchies and 1 kingdom. Get rid of duchy of turnovo?

I would guess its based on de jure kingdom or something like that. You get a LOT of mercs in italy.

No. It's based on the distance from your capital to their capital, with de jure boundaries having no effect whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure that's because you then hold 2 votes within your empire. As kings and dukes vote. Not sure though. Since Tunis is not in the de jure empire, it doesn't vote. Thus it doesn't count towards elector titles. I haven't played with elective law yet. But yea I guess that does hamper things that you can't hold more than 2 higher titles. The screenshot you show has 2 duchies and 1 kingdom. Get rid of duchy of turnovo?

You're correct! Any king or duke will be able to vote, and by holding both a kingdom and a duchy, you hold two votes.

Can Kings be vassals of other Kings?
Pratical example:
If I'm the King of France and the duke of aquitaine gains independency and creates the Kingdom of Aquitaine, how would I "reconquer" the Aquitaine area to my French kingdom? Would I have to somehow get the King of Aquitaine title?

Pratical example:
If I'm the King of France and the duke of aquitaine gains independency and creates the Kingdom of Aquitaine, how would I "reconquer" the Aquitaine area to my French kingdom? Would I have to somehow get the King of Aquitaine title?
No, Kings cannot be vassals of other kings. To get the King of Aquitane title, you would need to conquer enough land of the de jure Kingdom of Aquitane to be able to usurp the title.

Pratical example:

As the duke needs to get independence first before he can create the title you should make sure that he doesn't and create the title yourself asap.

How do you support a candidate for elective succession to a title which you do not hold?
Example: as King of the newly created Germany, I noticed that some electors supported me for the next Holy Roman Emperor. I however can find no way to support myself. Is this due to the fact that I am only a de iure vassal of the HRE and not a vassal in actuality, or do I just not know which buttons I need to click on. Thanks in advance.

How do you support a candidate for elective succession to a title which you do not hold?
Example: as King of the newly created Germany, I noticed that some electors supported me for the next Holy Roman Emperor. I however can find no way to support myself. Is this due to the fact that I am only a de iure vassal of the HRE and not a vassal in actuality, or do I just not know which buttons I need to click on. Thanks in advance.

It's that you're not a vassal. Gotta be a vassal to vote.

So, England has Agnatic succession. I have become the biggest landholder in England and could pretty easily claim lordship over England... if I had a claim. How the heck do I get a claim if I can't marry into the family?