• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Playing as the king of Croatia with elective succession. Why is it that I can only nominate some of my nephews as the heir to the kingdom?
Example:

I can nominate Ivan (adult). He is the son of my oldest brother (dead). He is not in my court. He's an adult. He is not heir to anything.Has a claim on Kingdom of Croatia.

I cannot nominate Koloman (adult). He is the son and heir of one of my younger brothers, who is still alive and is one of my dukes, but not in a duchy that is de jure part of Kingdom of Croatia. He doesn't have a claim on Croatia, yet, that'll happen when his father die.

They have the same paternal grandparents and they are both close family.

Last edited:
Playing as the king of Croatia with elective succession. Why is it that I can only nominate some of my nephews as the heir to the kingdom?
Example:

I can nominate Ivan (adult). He is the son of my oldest brother (dead). He is not in my court. He's an adult. He is not heir to anything.Has a claim on Kingdom of Croatia.

I cannot nominate Koloman (adult). He is the son and heir of one of my younger brothers, who is still alive and is one of my dukes, but not in a duchy that is de jure part of Kingdom of Croatia. He doesn't have a claim on Croatia, yet, that'll happen when his father die.

They have the same paternal grandparents and they are both close family.

Occam's style: I would say that the most probable explanation to that would be that Koloman does not have a claim on the kingdom, so he is not elegible to inherit it directly because of that. If you are able to elect his father, the kingdom will pass to Koloman after his father dies, just as his claim to the kingdom should.

P.S.: Welcome to the forums ;)

The alive dead thing has to be the difference.

You are meant to be able to nominate electors (ie de jure croatian dukes), your children, and your siblings. I asume if your brother is dead his eligiblity passes to his children.

What mercenary companies/holy orders are available to the rulers of Islam?
I've found the mamluks and the Hashashin forces. And with found I mean they massacred thousands of my troops while I conquered Egypt.
Are there more? And by God, can I get them for myself?

Occam's style: I would say that the most probable explanation to that would be that Koloman does not have a claim on the kingdom, so he is not elegible to inherit it directly because of that. If you are able to elect his father, the kingdom will pass to Koloman after his father dies, just as his claim to the kingdom should.

P.S.: Welcome to the forums ;)

The alive dead thing has to be the difference.

You are meant to be able to nominate electors (ie de jure croatian dukes), your children, and your siblings. I asume if your brother is dead his eligiblity passes to his children.

Killed my brother (Duke and father of Koloman) and nominated Koloman as my successor afterwards. Great! Thanks for the help.

The first thing that comes out of my mind: Are all of your elegible children (depending on if you have agnatic, agnatic-cognatic, cognatic) "valid" characters to inherit? For example, if you make one of your sons a bishop, he is discarded from sucession.

Neither the eldest son or his brother are bishops, nor are they bastards. The succession system is agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. Could it be a bug?

Neither the eldest son or his brother are bishops, nor are they bastards. The succession system is agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. Could it be a bug?

I would say so, since agnatic-cognatic Primogeniture states that the oldest son of the ruler will inherit (or the oldest daughter if there are no eligible males). And if your sons have nothing weird that excludes them from inheriting...

What exactly is taken in account for votes in a elective?

Electors are as follows-

For Duchies: All characters that hold Counties of your de jur territory.

For Kingdoms: All characters that either hold a Ducal level title in your de jur territory.

For Empires: Same as above, save for Kingdoms in the de jur Empire also get votes.

In all cases, holding multiple elector titles still only grants you one vote.

Example: at 1066 start, the Duke of Provence, while a ducal level title in the HRE, does not have an elector vote in the HRE because that is not de jur territory for the HRE. If the Kingdom of Burgundy is formed, and is elective, the Duke would get a vote. If he were also the Duke of Upper Burgundy, and the Duke of Dauphin, both elector titles for the Kingdom of Burgundy, he would still only get one vote.

In the event of a tie, the Ruler's vote has precedence.

Last edited:
Two remarks:

I'm a count in Navarra, I have taken another countiy of de jure Navarra duchy. Then my liege, king of Castillia creates the duchy of Navarra (because I didn't had the money yet), both needed lands are under my control. I find this weird that the liege doesn't has to hold any lands in the created title.

Then I defeat the king of Navarra and hold all lands that are de jure part of the kingdom of Navarra. But I can't form Navarra because I got to have 2 duchy titles - which were grabbed by my liege. And probably my liege will again grab the title king of Navarra if he has the gold.

Very annoying, I'm now in a lock - I Can't usurp the duchy of Navarra cause my liege has it, and I can't form the kingdom of Navarra because I don't have 2 duchies. How can I get passed this blocking effect?

Wasn't this different in CK1 were the liege needed to have at least one of the counties?

In CK2, the liege only has to hold the territory in his realm, regardless of who holds the individual counties. If the Byzantine emperor takes over Cyrenaica, for example, even after giving out all the territories, he can still create the title duke of Cyrenaica, as it is part of his realm.

What's the difference when giving out a landed title e.g. a county and selecting or not selecting the checkbox which is something about "all lesser titles"? (I think. Not at the game so can't recall exactly).

Also is the best way of keeping the vassals off your back (when handing out dutchies), and making trouble, to go Med CA, grant 1 county and a dutchy that doesn't include that county?

Is it also safer to hand dutchies to family, or play safe and give to nobodies with no ambition and no claims (or their heirs either)?

Should I also make sure I don't hold any county under one of my vassal's dutchies?

Finally, what's the best, generally mix of tax and levies, from point of view to keep vassals weak (military wise)?

Thanks in advance!

including lesser titles means he'l also get all the cities ect. in the county and can handthem ut himself. useally not as profitable as handing them out yourself as you will get free piety for church grants and a general opinion modifier and acn prvent ambitious people from ruling.

thats about the best way. if they dont hold a county in their ducal area they wont activly plot to control the whole duchy. i try to have evry area with a ducal title a duke in it but the duke is duke over another area. it also helps to turn duchies into prins-bishoprics thingys or doges as youll be able to appoint a succesor if you ahve free investure and therefore wont have problems with superdukes through marriages and you can put sons in there for emergency inheritance if your heir gets killed as it excludes them from inheritance as ling as they are going to ebocme prietst thingies. its also a good way to keep dukes bound to you as your brothers will love you for being the same dynasty and are not pretenders.

Haven't reached the Golden Horde Invasion yet, but through players experience does the Horde essentially destroy half of europe? I like to see a game still filled with the different european faction, how far does the golden horde go? And do they weaken as the time progresses? For example after they conquered large parts of europe do you see alot of independance rebellions that can destroy the golden horde and bring back conquered nations?

Thanks

How far apart do I need to be removed from fellow members of my Dynasty to remove the risk of creating an inbred child? Its late in my game and I've been spreading my dynasty to the point were its actually difficult to avoid marrying a member of my dynasty if I want a 'good' marriage. Am I OK as long as the blood drop icon is not present?

How far apart do I need to be removed from fellow members of my Dynasty to remove the risk of creating an inbred child? Its late in my game and I've been spreading my dynasty to the point were its actually difficult to avoid marrying a member of my dynasty if I want a 'good' marriage. Am I OK as long as the blood drop icon is not present?

Sharing a common grandparent seems to be the trigger point. So you can be a lot less picky.

Haven't reached the Golden Horde Invasion yet, but through players experience does the Horde essentially destroy half of europe? I like to see a game still filled with the different european faction, how far does the golden horde go? And do they weaken as the time progresses? For example after they conquered large parts of europe do you see alot of independance rebellions that can destroy the golden horde and bring back conquered nations?

Thanks

Am interested in this. It's about 1150 in my game as king of Russia + Lithuania + most of Khazaria. I am preparing for a real showdown...