• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, I finally figured out how the Holdings work. I usually own a single castle in each county I own but after I took a duchy of a pagan duke I came to own all holdings in all the counties in that duchy. I proceeded to distribute them to my sons first and to every decent courtier I could find. In the beginning of the game the choice is not that large.

Now, I figured I have two choices to make and for that I need a bit of help.
First: since I can only take a portion of the income and armies from the baronies/temples/cities in my counties, would it make sense to just develop those holdings that are under my direct control, namely castles? Or as an alternative to develop my holdings first and only after that develop other holdings in my counties?

Second: would it make sense to own all Holdings in two or three counties and fill my Demesne limit this baronies/bishoprics/cities instead of counties? I think this would net me a lot more personal profit than just holdings counties and duchies.

Ok, I finally figured out how the Holdings work. I usually own a single castle in each county I own but after I took a duchy of a pagan duke I came to own all holdings in all the counties in that duchy. I proceeded to distribute them to my sons first and to every decent courtier I could find. In the beginning of the game the choice is not that large.

Now, I figured I have two choices to make and for that I need a bit of help.
First: since I can only take a portion of the income and armies from the baronies/temples/cities in my counties, would it make sense to just develop those holdings that are under my direct control, namely castles? Or as an alternative to develop my holdings first and only after that develop other holdings in my counties?

Second: would it make sense to own all Holdings in two or three counties and fill my Demesne limit this baronies/bishoprics/cities instead of counties? I think this would net me a lot more personal profit than just holdings counties and duchies.

You can introduce new nobles, holy men, and wenches to your court through the intrigue screen. Costs a tiny sum of money.

Yes, only develop holdings that you own and control. Your vassals will develop their own holdings, as they have their own income. Since said income is proportionate to the holdings they have, developing your vassals holdings is actually costing you more than it will profit.

No, unless you have two castles in one county it does not make sense. Firstly, unless you are a mayor or a bishop, you will not make money from cities or churches, respectively. Second, even if you were one of those, then you could not make money efficiently from the other two types of holding. If you want maximum profit you need to max out your demesne limit with the correct kind of holding for your character type. When you have a vassal with the right kind of holding they will net more money from it than you will, meaning that holding will develop faster, and you will in general gain more, faster.

What determine the value of the happiness bonus when you give a gift to someone ?

State diplomacy. The higher it is, the happier they will be when you gift them.

Upgrade your holdings. Your vassals will spend their own income into new buildings. However, if you build a new city later on (and give it out to a vassal), it help a lot to "kickstart" this holding, and build a few tax generating buildings (eg. harbour) there. That way they earn a lot more money on their own, and start upgrading without your input.

Look at it this way - what generates more money (and troops)? 3 castles, 3 cities, 3 bishoprics? (=just an example, when 9 holdings would be your demesne limit) Or 9 castles (also the 9 holding demesne limit), but then you have 9 cities and 9 bishoprics as vassals, maybe even more.

I want to marry my eldest son, who's the Prince of Ireland and heir to a number of counties. No matter how I approach the Diplomacy screen, I cannot seem to marry him to a foreign bride. The only options I have are of various courtiers in Ireland, and none of them would form an attractive match. Do I have to bring a foreign woman to my court before I can marry her to my son? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I want to marry my eldest son, who's the Prince of Ireland and heir to a number of counties. No matter how I approach the Diplomacy screen, I cannot seem to marry him to a foreign bride. The only options I have are of various courtiers in Ireland, and none of them would form an attractive match. Do I have to bring a foreign woman to my court before I can marry her to my son? Thanks in advance.
If you go click on your son's portrait, so his picture is the biggest one on the screen, you should see a "rings" button to the lower right-hand corner of the portrait. Click on that, and you should see a list of every unmarried woman in Europe. Click on whichever one suits, and arrange the marriage. Good luck!

Holdings in a county can be held by different people, often times people outside of the realm. Chances are the Lord of Ragusa is not the Lord of that last holding in Ragusa, and whoever is Lord of it is loyal to some other state. You can click on the shield icon near the holding to pin down who owns it and then who their liege is.
Apparently the last holding is held by a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor, is there a way to make them renounce their claim without attacking them as well?

Apparently the last holding is held by a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor, is there a way to make them renounce their claim without attacking them as well?

Not that I know of. You do not need to have every holding in the county to make somebody surrender, though. Just every holding of theirs and their vassals. So, if CountyA has BaronyB, CityC, and ChurchD, but your enemy only has ChurchD, then you only need to take over the church to win the war, not the whole province. It might get problematic regarding taxes and levies later on if you annex the county, but if it bothers you that much you can just press De Jure claims to seize the holding from the Byzantines while they are distracted by another big war.

Not that I know of. You do not need to have every holding in the county to make somebody surrender, though. Just every holding of theirs and their vassals. So, if CountyA has BaronyB, CityC, and ChurchD, but your enemy only has ChurchD, then you only need to take over the church to win the war, not the whole province. It might get problematic regarding taxes and levies later on if you annex the county, but if it bothers you that much you can just press De Jure claims to seize the holding from the Byzantines while they are distracted by another big war.
But I already have all their holdings, and I'm at 100% warscore--they still haven't surrendered.

But I already have all their holdings, and I'm at 100% warscore--they still haven't surrendered.

Demand that they do. Once you reach 100% warscore the AI is not allowed to refuse. If they still are, then it is either a bug or you are dealing with something I have never encountered before. I cannot imagine why they would not surrender at 100%. I suppose to make matters worse, the tooltip does nothing to provide any hint as to what more you must do to defeat them ("Come on ya pansy" explains very little about why they continue to fight).

Perhaps they still have a large army roaming around somewhere or besieging one of your castles? I do recall that in many cases the AI sent a peace offer immediately following the annihilation of their last army.

I know it's important to keep vassals divided and weak, yet happy. However, titles and how they relate with one another are really throwing me off.

For example, in my current game as Brittany, I participated in a crusade for Andalucia, which the pope granted me after the war. Suddenly over my demesne limit by 40 holdings, I dropped the extra holdings immediately so that massive revolts wouldn't break out while my men were all still in Spain. To solve the problem of being 5 times over my demesne limit, I opted for creating more extremely happy weak vassals rather than create more fewer, more powerful ones. In addition, because I didn't have enough courtiers for all the extra holdings, I'd sometimes give out, say, a county, with the lesser titles along with it.

I lost Andalucia when the Moors decided to have a Reconquista of their own, so I wasn't able to see the result of my choices. So in your opinions, is it better to give several titles to your other men in your dynasty (even if they hate you from the bottom of their souls), or give out 40 little ones?

It's probably clear that I'm flying completely blind with respect to how titles and inheritance laws work. Does anyone know of a good, comprehensive thread - or best of all, a let's play - that really explains how inheritance works? (Gavelkind seems to make no sense, and I can't change the law because I can't figure out how to get two vassals to stop fighting.), The whole de jure thing is unclear, but I sense intuitively that it's tied to this and is important for having happier vassals and family. This also keeps me from understanding how to organize holdings beneath baronys, baronys beneath counties, counties beneath duchies, etc. If anyone has any advice on those issues either, that would help clear up many, many other questions as well!

Thanks for any insights!

I know it's important to keep vassals divided and weak, yet happy. However, titles and how they relate with one another are really throwing me off.

For example, in my current game as Brittany, I participated in a crusade for Andalucia, which the pope granted me after the war. Suddenly over my demesne limit by 40 holdings, I dropped the extra holdings immediately so that massive revolts wouldn't break out while my men were all still in Spain. To solve the problem of being 5 times over my demesne limit, I opted for creating more extremely happy weak vassals rather than create more fewer, more powerful ones. In addition, because I didn't have enough courtiers for all the extra holdings, I'd sometimes give out, say, a county, with the lesser titles along with it.

I lost Andalucia when the Moors decided to have a Reconquista of their own, so I wasn't able to see the result of my choices. So in your opinions, is it better to give several titles to your other men in your dynasty (even if they hate you from the bottom of their souls), or give out 40 little ones?

It's probably clear that I'm flying completely blind with respect to how titles and inheritance laws work. Does anyone know of a good, comprehensive thread - or best of all, a let's play - that really explains how inheritance works? (Gavelkind seems to make no sense, and I can't change the law because I can't figure out how to get two vassals to stop fighting.), The whole de jure thing is unclear, but I sense intuitively that it's tied to this and is important for having happier vassals and family. This also keeps me from understanding how to organize holdings beneath baronys, baronys beneath counties, counties beneath duchies, etc. If anyone has any advice on those issues either, that would help clear up many, many other questions as well!

Thanks for any insights!

Some think it's important to keep them weak, I prefer them somewhat strong (say three Counties each), as that gives me the best return for my investment (but that's a play-style issue, rather up to the individual).

First, you've got a couple of months before the vassals start getting annoyed by you holding too many holdings.

Here's a neat trick. When you've captured a County with all Baronies, right click on one of the Baronies (the Bishopric for instance). Three small icons will appear. They are (clockwise from top) Raise Levies, Raise Ships and Create New Vassal. Clicking the latter will create a new character to hold that Barony. Which is HIGHLY useful when giving out lots of land. The character created will always be of your religion and culture. (They might not be very GOOD though.)

For a beginner it's generally easier (and therefore better) to not give land to your family. Untill you know how claims work, they're more hassle than not.

For some help, I'd advise you to read Meneth's Userguide and the new Wiki. The Wiki has a very useful Beginner's Guide and a nice section on Succession.

As for Let's Play videos, the only ones I've seen any of are those from Vellocretic, but I'd still advise you to go for the Guide and Wiki.

Question:

I've just started a new game, and while watching other people fight, I saw as a CB "War for Coastal Provence". Is this a new CB? How does it work? What's the difference with a CB on County of Provence?

Question:

I've just started a new game, and while watching other people fight, I saw as a CB "War for Coastal Provence". Is this a new CB? How does it work? What's the difference with a CB on County of Provence?

The CB is for any Coastal Province, not just Provence.

On a more serious note :p The CB is available to Republics, like Genoa for instance.

I'm a new player myself, but perhaps you can learn from my fail. :happy:

When you go to make peace, is the "enforce demands" button greyed out? I made several white peaces with uppity vassals early in my current game because I assumed that grey diplomatic options were unavailable to me (just like elsewhere in a character's diplomacy screen or in EU3). The game seems to pre-select it as your peace offer, making it grey. If you've got your enemy on his knees at 100%, just click make peace and then send. My guess is that you'll get the AI to accept your terms.

It was a simple mistake on my part, but hopefully it saves you some of the frustration I had.

In my CK2 game as Norway I now have a monthly income on 72gold and expenses that is 102 gold. What i dont understand is why? i dont have any levies raised and i have no idea what can be eating up all my money. Please help me since it fuckes up everything :/

BTW, i am a female ruler.

Last edited:
In my CK2 game as Norway I now have a monthly income on 72gold and expenses that is 102 gold. What i dont understand is why? i dont have any levies raised and i have no idea what can be eating up all my money. Please help me since it fuckes up everything :/

BTW, i am a female ruler.

Click on the CoA under your portrait. This will open a screen with a breakdown of income and expenses.