• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh, it may be that the Duchy has been integrated into your kingdom so that it doesn't have any separate laws but the succession has been switched to your Norwegian one.

@Calbrenar: I'm a little confused. Are you absolutely sure they're your sons?

Absolutely. I've seen it with sons / daughters / bastards / heirs. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I've only ever seen it fail with priests I think (because I like to try to get their relationship liking over the popes so I can get taxe). Kind of ironic that catholic priests don't like you better for sending them your son :)

WHat does including lower titles do on granting a landed title? It doesn't seem to change anything on the screen when you click it. It still gives the person the county with all the vassal either way.

WHat does including lower titles do on granting a landed title? It doesn't seem to change anything on the screen when you click it. It still gives the person the county with all the vassal either way.

Not clicking : Gives titles + vassals
Clicking : Gives titles + vassals + holdings that you possess in the county/duchy

@Calbrenar: Hah! Good one! Sorry, but the only other explanation I have would be to maybe look at the succession.

If you own part of the title you wish to give away (If you own the county AND the bishopric/barony/city within the county) it will automatically give these to your vassal as well to do with as he pleases. I believe its the same for duchys if you own a county within the duchy you wish to give away. It's simply there to save you time in case you need to give away large pieces of land without wanting to install vassals yourself.

@Calbrenar: Hah! Good one! Sorry, but the only other explanation I have would be to maybe look at the succession.

So the wards HAVE to be your legit son or daughter? No bastards? Is it heir only? The result always says (will result in a -15 for Person X and a +20 with person Y) but i don't seem to get the +20.

I don't think it needs to be the heir to be honest, don't even think it needs to be a candidate for succession, but I've never experienced it like you and haven't paid too much attention as a result. So far every direct child of mine seemed to have increased the relations of the bishop I gave it to by +20.

If it states that you do get the +20 and you don't get them, it's quite probably a bug. If not then someone with a more in-depth knowledge of the ward mechanic might be able to help out sooner or later :)

is there a way as a duke I can stop my duke from being summoned to war. I don't mind sending troops just mind my ruler being sent. I need babies!!!

Also, if I have people in my council on missions, like to train troops for a marshal, can they still get their wives pregnant?

How does the procedure for a new pope work?

A couple of noob questions.

1) I am playing the count of Capua, and I just accumulated enough gold to usurp the title Duchy of Capua. I did so, but didn't see any immediate benefits, and the only county under it is Capua.. so what did I just spend that gold for? How do I get more landed titles?
2) I don't have a liege as Capua, but apparently Byzantium called me into war. How?
3) If I had a liege and I fabricated a claim for one of his demesne lands, will that piss him off? What if it's one of his vassal's?
4) What do I look for in marriage? I know people say for alliance, but how do you make use of that exactly?

Btw I tried EU3 a few years ago but didn't understand a thing in there. CK2 I feel is much more approachable and fun!

I'm pretty sure you can press all your claims in one war if they are actual inherited claims possessed by your character (i.e. shown in his character screen). However, claims that go with your de jure counties and duchies have to be pressed one at a time.

1) I am playing the count of Capua, and I just accumulated enough gold to usurp the title Duchy of Capua. I did so, but didn't see any immediate benefits, and the only county under it is Capua.. so what did I just spend that gold for? How do I get more landed titles?
2) I don't have a liege as Capua, but apparently Byzantium called me into war. How?
3) If I had a liege and I fabricated a claim for one of his demesne lands, will that piss him off? What if it's one of his vassal's?
4) What do I look for in marriage? I know people say for alliance, but how do you make use of that exactly?

Btw I tried EU3 a few years ago but didn't understand a thing in there. CK2 I feel is much more approachable and fun!

1. Being a Duke increases your prestige and standing among the nobles of Europe. You can basically do more things and have more influence. To give one example, Counts can't have kings excommunicated, but Dukes can. (It is very useful to get a king excommunicated before you attack him if you are smaller. Then everyone will hate him, and you can easily invade.)
2. You were related through blood or marriage with the Emperor. This is how alliances work.
3. Fabricating claims will anger whoever you do it to, but the liege will not care if you do it to one of his vassals. Of course, unless you are both under the same liege with low crown authority (and thus can do civil wars), you have to fight the liege to take those fabricated claims.
4. See question 2. As long as the two people who are linking families through marriage are alive, you can call that family in to all your wars. Of course, it only works if they are independent or you both are subjects of the same liege.

Last edited:

1. Having the Duchy of Capua gives you a CB on all counties that make up the duchy's de jure realm. Going off my memory, you should now have a CB against the count of Napoli. You can conquer it or you can try asking the count to become your vassal.

2. Did you marry someone off and form an alliance?

3. Yes, fabricating claims pisses off the owner, whether it's a vassal or a liege

4. I look for one of three things - potential titles, good alliances, or stats (either for acting as a guardian or characters with good congenital traits)

If I, say as a Scottish king, marry an arab woman, will my children look at all arabic, or will they continue to look "European"? I kind of want to create a line of kings who look more arabic than scottish, so I'm curious if it's even doable.

1)You spent it basically for Prestige, claims, and having vassals. Eventually you'll be able to get more land and if you ruler dies and you hold to much you can dole it out to some loyal vassals and have them run it while still getting benefits(and troops) from it. Now that you're Duke you can du jure claims agains Napoli, IE you can declare war and make them your vassal. Through some shenanigans you can then take that province by revoking it. Either he'll say ok and or rebel and you'll have to put him in his place and revoke it anyways.

2)Possibly a marriage alliance. Marrying someone comes with strings in this game, one of them is alliances(others being claims). If you married someone related to the Emperor he can call you to war as an ally.

3)Yes it will piss him off. If its the vassal it will piss that vassal off.

4)Alliance/Inheritence/Age/Stats are what you should look for. Age because the girls have a shelf life, the older they are the less chance to pop out heirs. Stats because their stats add to yours, increasing how much land you can control, how much money you get, and if people are able to kill you and your loved ones, among other things. Inheritence, harder to do but you can aquire land or claims on land via a wife, or more exactly, your children can. Alliance, like I said in #2 marriages come with strings, if you can marry the King of Frances sister you can get him as an important ally. The can lead possibly to the King of France helping you in wars(theres other factors like how much he likes/dislikes both you and the war target).

As Duchy of Lombardy, I use primogeniture inheritance. The Duchy of Toscana has gavelkind. If my grandson (my son and heir is married to the sitting Toscana duchess) inherits both duchies, which inheritance law will be used? Will both duchies now be primogeniture? Will they both be gavelkind? Will Lombardy remain primo and Toscana gavelkind (possibly causing the to split at some point)?

If I, say as a Scottish king, marry an arab woman, will my children look at all arabic, or will they continue to look "European"? I kind of want to create a line of kings who look more arabic than scottish, so I'm curious if it's even doable.

Appearance is based on culture. As far as I know you can't get half Scottish/half Arab looking children, its one or the other. But culture can be determined by who educates your children. So have that Arab queen of yours raise the children and they can turn Arab as well.A

Appearance is based on culture. As far as I know you can't get half Scottish/half Arab looking children, its one or the other. But culture can be determined by who educates your children. So have that Arab queen of yours raise the children and they can turn Arab as well.A
Ah, okay.. That's probably not worth the million of rebellions it will cause, but I'll save and give it a go anyway just to see what happens.

As Duchy of Lombardy, I use primogeniture inheritance. The Duchy of Toscana has gavelkind. If my grandson (my son and heir is married to the sitting Toscana duchess) inherits both duchies, which inheritance law will be used? Will both duchies now be primogeniture? Will they both be gavelkind? Will Lombardy remain primo and Toscana gavelkind (possibly causing the to split at some point)?
They will definitely both have the same succession law. Only kingdoms get separate ones. As to which law it will be, I suspect it depends on whichever title your grandson inherits first.

They will definitely both have the same succession law. Only kingdoms get separate ones. As to which law it will be, I suspect it depends on whichever title your grandson inherits first.

Hmm, it would be a tragedy if my son were to accidentally fall on a knife and allow my grandson to inherit Lombardy first...

How does one correct title loss on succession?

I have an hier and he has his heir but my legitimized bastard son apparently will get like half my titles on succession?

Guess that's what I get for making his life glorious...