• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What determines where a duke's capital PROVINCE is (not just capital holding within a province)? For example, playing as de Hauteville count, I have concurred Sicily. I want to form the Duchy of Sicily and have the capital in Palermo. I tried first moving my realm capital and then creating the duke title, but upon creation the capital was automatically moved back to Reggio. Palermo has more money and higher tech, so I don't know why the capital would automatically change like that. Any thoughts?

Henry inherited the Latin Empire, Flanders was inherited by his Baldwin's daughter Jeanne. The game seems to be respresenting the actual situation just fine, no? Latin Empire to the brother and Flanders to the daughter in history, Latin Empire to the brother and Flanders to the daughter in the game.

Nope, via semi agnatic gavelkind Jeanne (already duchess of flanders) inherits the main title, so you end up with her as Empress + Flanders, and then the other daughter gets a share of your counties too. Henry doesn't get a look in.

I am Duke Ged the first of the duchy of Toulouse, currently I have direct control of the castle of Toulouse and an another castle Casternaudary. The rest holds and provinces are ruled by my vassals (6 provinces, each ruled by different counts).

Now to the Question:
Is it better if my Duke Ged the first ruled them all directly thought he has no brothers nor sisters but a uncle that rules the province Rouerque?
If it is so that its better with direct control due to money and manpower gain, what the best way of getting them in a silent and shady way?

Quick question, do I need to be in a war for a Count to raise levies for me? As de Hauteville I have taken and created the Kingdom of Sicily, and my king has both the Duchy of Apulia and Calabria, and I'm not sure if its better to keep the titles myself or give them to counts that are related (Reggio for example). If I keep both titles I have noticed I'm able to raise levies from the Duchy, but when I give the title of Calabria away it doesn't let me raise any.

Nope, via semi agnatic gavelkind Jeanne (already duchess of flanders) inherits the main title, so you end up with her as Empress + Flanders, and then the other daughter gets a share of your counties too. Henry doesn't get a look in.

Ah, I see. That is a problem, then. Seems like your options are Agnatic Gavelkind, Agnatic Primogeniture, Agnatic Seniority, or Agnatic-Cognatic Seniority. Any of those should disinherit Jeanne. Agnatic Elective might work, too.

I'm not sure any of the options really do a good job of emulating the actual succession of the Empire. It seems like it was somewhat close to Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture as it appears in the game, but with the difference that brothers (Henry) took precedence over daughters (Jeanne,) which I don't believe they do in the game. It was definitely not a pure Agnatic succession, given that Henry's successor Robert acceded on the basis that his wife Yolanda was Henry's sister.

Is this soft cap listed somewhere? I'd like to know what it is so I know how many people I need to arrange accidents for :cool:

In common/defines.txt. If your court is above 30 people, then the women will not be allowed to have children if they already have four in the court. Normally this is five.

Is it better if my Duke Ged the first ruled them all directly thought he has no brothers nor sisters but a uncle that rules the province Rouerque?
If it is so that its better with direct control due to money and manpower gain, what the best way of getting them in a silent and shady way?

There are lots of ways.

My favourite:

Get your eldest son or daughter married to a sister or daughter or second son of the count (if it's your daughter, do so matrilineally).
Then murder all his family until the spouse of your child is in power.
Their children will inherit both your duchy and the county.

Another:

Murder all his family. All of them.

Another:

Send your Court Chaplain to head the local inquisition in the count's province. With luck, he will accuse the count of heresy. Then you can revoke his title with no tyranny penalty.

Another:

Revoke his title and be hit by the tyranny penalty.

Is this WAD.
There is a big rebellion(some sort of plot) in HRE (about 2/3 rebelled of HRE (because of score capping they can't get 100% score it's at 80%(land score is about 88% and capped because HRE took 1 land county worth 11% the rebels take more counties but it doesn't increase the land score also due to HRE doom stack, HRE also has 8% battle score))) and i assassinated the HRE emperor and all the rebel became independent from HRE. Is this WAD? (It seams you can brake a big empire if you assassinate the emperor during a rebellion)

There are lots of ways.

My favourite:

Get your eldest son or daughter married to a sister or daughter or second son of the count (if it's your daughter, do so matrilineally).
Then murder all his family until the spouse of your child is in power.
Their children will inherit both your duchy and the county.

So, in Narbonne theres a countess who is not fully grown yet and has no family members alive, also is not betrothed to anyone. If I manage my Duke to marry the countess then I will gain control of Narbonne too (Or will the heir do it?)?

Question about claims and trying to engineer them into your dynasty. If you find a female courtier in another county that has a claim on the county or duchy, but it says it will only be inherited if pressed in war, how would you ever press the claim? As far as I can tell, you can't press your wife's claim.

If you're the king of some other nation (Ireland), and place a member of your dynasty as king of another kingdom (Scotland), will their score still collaborate with yours even if you personally don't control Scotland (assuming they manage to keep that half of the dynasty alive)?

--

Also if they DO manage to keep it in the dynasty, does that mean a permanent (so long as kept in the dynasty) alliance, or will the line eventually separate too much?

So, in Narbonne theres a countess who is not fully grown yet and has no family members alive, also is not betrothed to anyone. If I manage my Duke to marry the countess then I will gain control of Narbonne too (Or will the heir do it?)?

The children will be the heirs to both the county and the duchy. You won't gain control of it, as the player, until both the Duke and the Countess are dead.

Also if they DO manage to keep it in the dynasty, does that mean a permanent (so long as kept in the dynasty) alliance, or will the line eventually separate too much?

As long as people are in your dynasty, you have an alliance with them.

Question about claims and trying to engineer them into your dynasty. If you find a female courtier in another county that has a claim on the county or duchy, but it says it will only be inherited if pressed in war, how would you ever press the claim? As far as I can tell, you can't press your wife's claim.

You can press your wife's claim. Just declare war on the holder of the title in question, and by "Claim <title>" in the casus belli selection there will be a little picture of the claimant, if it isn't you.

What is your capital good for? I started playing as Barcelona, and conquered down go Granada. My capital is still Barcelona, why would I want to move it? What effect does being the capital of your duchy/kingdom have? (there are other counties I own that have much better technology numbers but they still have the 'recently conquered' penalties, is this important for a capital?)
EDIT: meta-question: I see in my little icons under my forum name that I have CK2 and CK2 holy knight (most people have both I see), what's this holy knight thing? :)

You can press your wife's claim. Just declare war on the holder of the title in question, and by "Claim <title>" in the casus belli selection there will be a little picture of the claimant, if it isn't you.

Are you sure? I'm playing as the Duke of Leinster and my wife has a claim on County of Anhalt that is listed as not being inherited unless pressed in war. She also has a claim on the Duchy of Brandenburg which may be inherited. In both cases I cannot declare war on either the direct holder or their leiges (in both cases the HRE) because it says I don't have a valid CB.

I took over southern italy from the muslims which had it for less than 20 years (still had the event where they could not raise an army), but 3 of the provinces seem to have converted during this time. I have had it for over 30 years and they still have not changed the culture. Is it still like CK1 where it is just more or less random?

Are you sure? I'm playing as the Duke of Leinster and my wife has a claim on County of Anhalt that is listed as not being inherited unless pressed in war. She also has a claim on the Duchy of Brandenburg which may be inherited. In both cases I cannot declare war on either the direct holder or their leiges (in both cases the HRE) because it says I don't have a valid CB.
I also have noticed in my game that I can only press the claims of males. It might be related to succession law, though, just like the granting of titles. Are you using Agnatic?

I'm playing as duke Robert of Apulia and my goal is to unite in to the Kingdom of Sicily. I don't need Salerno to do this, but I'd like it. My aim is to get it by forcing the count to agree to swear fealty to me, chiefly because he is married to my niece and hence an ally. I could attack him but it would be messy and I prefer a diplomatic solution.

To force his hand I need to have higher rank than him. I figured this meant prestige, and I have a higher rate of gain than he does yet I can not surpass his prestige. It is almost as if he gains more than he should be gaining and I can never catch him.

Where is he getting prestige from?

If I enact the Kingdom of Sicilly will that alter things. It will cost me but if it is worth doing then the cost is justified.

I also have noticed in my game that I can only press the claims of males. It might be related to succession law, though, just like the granting of titles. Are you using Agnatic?

Hmm, good point.. I'm playing with Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. I wonder though if it has to do with something about the HRE's laws?