• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a question about the Dejure button.
When I get the reminder icon on the top of the screen and I press it, what I get is another character from where I am supposed to press
the claim. What do you have to do next, or which button do you need to press next to
get the claim?

His liege is myself and there's no modifier except personal diplomacy.

You may want to report this in the bugs forum if you haven't already. I've confirmed that when I use a tutor from my own demesne that the tutor gets no opinion boost of me. However, it does work when you go outside your demesne. I sent 2 children to courtiers of the king and the king now has a +40 Entrusted Ward modifier (+20 per child), even though the actual tutors get nothing.

AI can switch their capital and thier main title. So he might have the main title as Duchy of Turov, while he chose his capital within the Duchy of Kiev.

I'm pretty sure we can change our capitals too. There's a button next to the region title that lets you change it. Not sure if that results in a title change.

You may want to report this in the bugs forum if you haven't already. I've confirmed that when I use a tutor from my own demesne that the tutor gets no opinion boost of me. However, it does work when you go outside your demesne. I sent 2 children to courtiers of the king and the king now has a +40 Entrusted Ward modifier (+20 per child), even though the actual tutors get nothing.

Hrm -- maybe I didn't wait long enough for them to arrive?

If i want to appoint someone to my council, do they already have to be in my court? I have a character with high intrigue in my character list but I cant appoint her. She wqont come to court, in fact no one seems to want to when I invite them... They all say no reason to move, but I have a reason, i want to appoint them to council.

I have a question about the Dejure button.
When I get the reminder icon on the top of the screen and I press it, what I get is another character from where I am supposed to press
the claim. What do you have to do next, or which button do you need to press next to
get the claim?

You declare war if your liege's laws lets you (assuming you have one).

I think Dejure acts just like a casus belli (verification needed)

Reposting this :eek:

Succession question:

I can invite an old childless guy to my court and press his claim for a duchy through war. If he dies without heir after I made him duke, who gets the title?

edit: I'd make him my vassal before making him duke.

You, if you are his liege and he has no heirs at all.

How do the stats/traits/etc of a guardian affect their wards?

Do all "education = yes" traits have an equal chance of being passed on to the ward, or are there modifiers? Will a guardian will high MIL encourage MIL traits, for example? Does the learning stat of the guardian do anything?

According to one of the startup tips, guardians' stats will affect those of the wards.

If I marry my female ruler to a character who is of the same dynasty as myself, do I have to make it a matrilineal marriage?
No, I don't think so.

If i want to appoint someone to my council, do they already have to be in my court? I have a character with high intrigue in my character list but I cant appoint her. She wqont come to court, in fact no one seems to want to when I invite them... They all say no reason to move, but I have a reason, i want to appoint them to council.

You can appoint your vassals or your courtiers, but nobody else.

Can you fabricate claims on Rome? I've been trying forever, with a 10% per year, but it just isn't happening.

Yes, you can. You're just unlucky.

You declare war if your liege's laws lets you (assuming you have one).

I think Dejure acts just like a casus belli (verification needed)

De jure claims work like casus belli, yes.

A series of questions here:

1.) When I have the opportunity to create a new duchy, should I? What are the benefits and cons of creating a new duchy? Who should this duchy go to, my family or my courtiers?

2.) How can I gain control of areas without revoking titles and being seen as tyrannical? I'm playing as Scotland, and I have conquered the county of Carrick, as well as put down a rebellion in Moray. Unfortunately I don't directly rule in any of these provinces. (Well, my character owns the duchies, but each individual county is owned by a count... I thought the duke always held one county in a duchy?) The people are loyal to me, but I would like to gain control for maximum income and levy amount. Same question for my already held lands - I want more money and levies.

3.) A continuation of the previous question; how to make more money? It seems odd that a kingdom such as Scotland makes 2 gold coins per month. I can barely afford to upgrade my holdings, certainly not when I have to pay off my vassals to make them like me to pass laws.

4.) Which holdings should I be improving? Capital holdings owned directly by me, or my vassals'? I understand that all tax and levies go straight to me if I own the land and laws determine how much my vassals pay to me. By this logic, I should be upgrading my own land first and foremost? Linking back again to question 2; how do I get more land?

This is the main frustration of the game for me. I can't grasp the idea of gaining money and land without ending up with a web of vassals and hangers on. :p

Anyone know if there's any real benefit to embracing heresy? If I want to convert Europe to Cathar...do I get any benefits? I know Pagans and Mongols apparently get some bonuses..but what if I just want to be not Catholic/Orthodox?

In reply to the answer from Tamius, do the courtiers have to be from one of my own personal counties. I cant seem to appoint a courtier of one of my vassals to spymaster?

Anyone know if there's any real benefit to embracing heresy? If I want to convert Europe to Cathar...do I get any benefits? I know Pagans and Mongols apparently get some bonuses..but what if I just want to be not Catholic/Orthodox?

You don't have to answer to the Pope or Patriarch any more.

In reply to the answer from Tamius, do the courtiers have to be from one of my own personal counties. I cant seem to appoint a courtier of one of my vassals to spymaster?

No, I don't think you can appoint a vassal's courtier.

A series of questions here:

1.) When I have the opportunity to create a new duchy, should I? What are the benefits and cons of creating a new duchy? Who should this duchy go to, my family or my courtiers?

2.) How can I gain control of areas without revoking titles and being seen as tyrannical? I'm playing as Scotland, and I have conquered the county of Carrick, as well as put down a rebellion in Moray. Unfortunately I don't directly rule in any of these provinces. (Well, my character owns the duchies, but each individual county is owned by a count... I thought the duke always held one county in a duchy?) The people are loyal to me, but I would like to gain control for maximum income and levy amount. Same question for my already held lands - I want more money and levies.

3.) A continuation of the previous question; how to make more money? It seems odd that a kingdom such as Scotland makes 2 gold coins per month. I can barely afford to upgrade my holdings, certainly not when I have to pay off my vassals to make them like me to pass laws.

4.) Which holdings should I be improving? Capital holdings owned directly by me, or my vassals'? I understand that all tax and levies go straight to me if I own the land and laws determine how much my vassals pay to me. By this logic, I should be upgrading my own land first and foremost? Linking back again to question 2; how do I get more land?

This is the main frustration of the game for me. I can't grasp the idea of gaining money and land without ending up with a web of vassals and hangers on. :p

1) In the long run, you always want more duchies/ducal vassals, because it gives you more prestige. Be wary that, as a king, hoarding too many ducal titles for yourself will anger your vassals. It's best to create the title and then grant it to a count who is your direct vassal in the De Jure area for that Duchy (dukes get angry if they do not control the de jure area for their title).

2) You can revoke territories without gaining tyranny for free if you have a legitimate claim to the title. Send your chancellor to generate the claim on the county you wish to revoke; you will have to pay gold and prestige, but you will be able to take the county with no loss of relations (except for the count you are taking the county from, who is now a powerless, landless noble, so who cares about him! ;)).

It may be worthwhile to marry into a duke's family to try to outright inherit his duchy; at the very least your son or grandson might be able to get claims on the land.

3) Raise taxes on cities; then focus on upgrading your own demesne. Obviously you want to control as many counties as possible directly, but that will be a slow process.

4) Almost certainly you should focus on upgrading your holdings (which should all be castles), specifically the upgrades that provide extra income. Only invest in baron-level vassals if you have money to spare; if you do have the cash, cash-generating upgrades in cities should be a priority.

Why should it be castles? Is there a disadvantage to having a city or temple as a county capital?

I thought cities generate the most gold coins, and these should be upgraded firstly.

Why should it be castles? Is there a disadvantage to having a city or temple as a county capital?

I thought cities generate the most gold coins, and these should be upgraded firstly.

You only get 25% of the income from a city or temple, due to being a monarch and thus having the "wrong type of holding in demesne". Mayors and doges don't have this problem for cities.