• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it possible to get any of your vassals to approve increased crown authority or feudal levies (both of which are minimal)? All my vassals oppose these, even the ones at 100% approval. Is the only solution to start revoking titles until my votes outnumber those of my vassals?

edited to add: never mind...just played through it and discovered that those listed as opponents aren't necessarily really opposed to the idea. Is there any way of telling before seeking support whether a change will fly? Also, is there any disadvantage (loss of prestige or opinion) if you try to make a change and fail?

Last edited:
Two questions:
1] As Sicily I've been tearing through NA & Iberia, picking up a few kingdom titles.
I have several sons, and while the heir gets everything else, the second son gets a recently conquered kingdom [Mauritania]. The last king changed the succession laws to the eldest son from gavelkind, and yet when my king just died Mauritania went to him through gavelkind. The previous king has the warning saying his brother would get Africa when he died, but that went after a while - any help?

2] Throughout the two decades my king has been reigned, the great tournament has never ended, I get pop-ups every so often telling me a subject has been maimed/killed in the tourney, which is pretty annoying - any way to settle this?

Is it possible to get any of your vassals to approve increased crown authority or feudal levies (both of which are minimal)? All my vassals oppose these, even the ones at 100% approval. Is the only solution to start revoking titles until my votes outnumber those of my vassals?

edited to add: never mind...just played through it and discovered that those listed as opponents aren't necessarily really opposed to the idea. Is there any way of telling before seeking support whether a change will fly? Also, is there any disadvantage (loss of prestige or opinion) if you try to make a change and fail?

How it works is that you (the King/Emperor) ask your Vassals if they approve of a Law change. They can then take their sweet time before deciding so it can be one week or several years before you know if it passed. There is to my knowledge no way to 'fail' the change since Vassals can´t say no, they can just decide to 'ignore' the question.

As long as your Vassals opinion of you is in 'the green' you should be able to pass most laws but I guess throwing a Lavish Feast right before the petition. Also you should really try to get the Feudal Levies up to at least Normal since they probably make up a huge part of your total available forces.

What causes a war to be labeled "civil war"? I've seen a few wars of the form "Civil war (blah blah blah) to reduce crown authority."

Furthermore, if I'm a vassal in a kingdom with a war like this going on, is it possible for me to join it?

I united the Kingdom of Ireland, started building up my demesne holdings to get more army and taxes and started forging claims on areas in Wales to expand, when suddenly Scotland declared war on me for a single province in Ulster. I have about 7K soldiers available, they have 10K. They're sitting on my island and I really don't know what to do. Is there something I can do or am I simply screwed? I have only two allies, one's landlocked in France, and the other one... is the King of Scotland, my brother-in-law. He's clearly not going to help. It's not a big loss since it's very lowly developed and not in my demesne, but it kind of screws up my borders and makes for an annoying blemish.

I am playing as Duke of Greater Poland and recently conquered the the Pomeran and then created a duchy out of that and gave it to my son. But after that happened it became an independent realm. Do I have to be the Duke of Pomeran to keep it in my realm? Or do I have to become king of Poland before I can have multiple Duchys in my realm?

I am playing as Duke of Greater Poland and recently conquered the the Pomeran and then created a duchy out of that and gave it to my son. But after that happened it became an independent realm. Do I have to be the Duke of Pomeran to keep it in my realm? Or do I have to become king of Poland before I can have multiple Duchys in my realm?

Dukes cannot be vassals of other dukes, so yes, before you can have a duke as a vassal you must be the king.

Why can't my Norse religion count declare a holy war? how can I make it so he can?

Pagans do not get holy war CBs.

Is it possible to view the Crown Laws of the kingdom that you are a vassal of?

As the King of Ireland I pressed my mom's claim on Castille. Unfortunately I didn't realize she would only get one province, and the King of Leon has declared war on her to get his lost crown back. I don't really want to break the truce since my vassals are getting pissed about me being at war all the time. So, if Mom loses the war will she get an inheritable claim on Castile?

I united the Kingdom of Ireland, started building up my demesne holdings to get more army and taxes and started forging claims on areas in Wales to expand, when suddenly Scotland declared war on me for a single province in Ulster. I have about 7K soldiers available, they have 10K. They're sitting on my island and I really don't know what to do. Is there something I can do or am I simply screwed? I have only two allies, one's landlocked in France, and the other one... is the King of Scotland, my brother-in-law. He's clearly not going to help. It's not a big loss since it's very lowly developed and not in my demesne, but it kind of screws up my borders and makes for an annoying blemish.

Well, mercs obviously. Other than that. You're screwed. Try using terrain tactics, though the AI always seems to sneak out of those by changing their course at the very last minute, which is idiotic. But I guess the ups of the grid system outweigh the downs.

Isn't Cremona one of the original starting places of the Italian Rennaissance?

I'm not a Renaissance expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't have said so. Sure, once things got going, it joined in, but the birthplace? I wouldn't have said so.

The arguments over what the Renaissance was, how it started and developed could run into hundreds of pages here, but I'm willing to bet that the 320 is wrong, and that it should be 328 (Florence). Which province saw the birth of Dante (Florence) and, more importantly, Petrarch (Arezzo).

Just to let you know, I'm now trying to put together a mod to simulate the Renaissance. :)

Stupid question....How do I join a Crusade? The game is not clear on this, even though I'm sure it is very simple. Also, what determines the "contribution"? Is it just number of troops? How does the game actually determine/know his contribution?