• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, okay.. That's probably not worth the million of rebellions it will cause, but I'll save and give it a go anyway just to see what happens.

If you want your children to look arabic, then yes marrying an arab woman will give a 50% chance of your children looking arab. They will either look scottish or arab. I actually did this exact thing, married an arab woman and all that (I'm actually playing as the scotts too, heh)

I've had 7 kids with her so far, 4 look scottish, 3 look arab. We also had "twins", one arab girl and one scottish girl.

They will ALL be of scottish culture, though, since they were born into your dynasty.

I started as duke of Munster, and expanded to have 7/13 of the irish counties and created the title King of Ireland.
I seem not to have claim to any of the rest of the county/duchy titles, should I? (as de jure liege of those duchies)
For comparison, at start of the game I remember having casus belli for the southern county of duchy in Munster, in basis of being de-jure duke of the county.
i.e. how can I conquer the rest of the island? (do I just have to manufacture claims & invite claimants to my court?)

No, a king title will NOT give you CBs on the duchy's/counties under it's control. You'll have to get the duchy titles to gain CBs on the counties

Quick questions, if I take one of my vasals, for example my marshal to study technology, should I place him at the province I want to improve or should I place him at the province in the world that has the highest technological advancement in that subject I want to improve?

Quick questions, if I take one of my vasals, for example my marshal to study technology, should I place him at the province I want to improve or should I place him at the province in the world that has the highest technological advancement in that subject I want to improve?
The province you want to improve. (except the spymaster)

The province you want to improve. (except the spymaster)
Thanks, I will be coming with a lot more dumber questions soon :) First time in over a week I actually got some time to waste.

When you search for a guardian for your child, should you be looking for anything special, like traits or high value numbers?

Succession question:

I can invite an old guy to my court and press his claim for a duchy through war. If he dies without heir after I made him duke, who gets the title?

edit: I'd make him my vassal before making him duke.

(I'm reposting this because it was buried)

Here's my problem:

I'm playing as Leon. I revoke, for example, the Dutchy of Galacia after an unsuccessful rebellion; the rebel sits in my prison. I want to give that Dutchy to another noble. However, I can ONLY give it to a noble who is a count with land in that de jure Dutchy, in this case Galacia. The game will not allow me to give it to anyone else unless they have a county in Galacia.

Why can I not give it to whomever I want?

(I'm reposting this because it was buried)

Here's my problem:

I'm playing as Leon. I revoke, for example, the Dutchy of Galacia after an unsuccessful rebellion; the rebel sits in my prison. I want to give that Dutchy to another noble. However, I can ONLY give it to a noble who is a count with land in that de jure Dutchy, in this case Galacia. The game will not allow me to give it to anyone else unless they have a county in Galacia.

Why can I not give it to whomever I want?

Because to have a duchy, you have to also own a holding in that land. Since all the holdings are already claimed, you can only give the duchy title away to one of them. What you have to do is revoke a county from someone, so you own it, THEN you give the duchy away (you'll have to checkbox (include lower titles) or whatever, which will also give away your holding, thus giving the person the holding to be able to hold the duchy title)

You're holding a city, as a feudal lord that is basically a no no. You want to hold castles and give the cities to someone else. Check your holdings to see if any of the cities/churches are held by you directly, if you are right click and 'create a vassal' there. Should get rid of that.
No I wasn't talking about me. It was a the holder of the county who had the 'wrong government type' (-30) penalty. Here's the screenshot:
View attachment 48121
His title is "Lord Mayor Jaime of Aracenas', and his landed titles are 'grand city of aracenas', 'city of teruel' and 'city of algeciras', so why does he get that penalty?

No I wasn't talking about me. It was a the holder of the county who had the 'wrong government type' (-30) penalty. Here's the screenshot:
View attachment 48121
His title is "Lord Mayor Jaime of Aracenas', and his landed titles are 'grand city of aracenas', 'city of teruel' and 'city of algeciras', so why does he get that penalty?

He gets the penalty because YOU do not run a government type he would prefer. If there is a castle holding where his grand city is, you need to get the title for the province in that baron's hands.

Question about "sow dissent".
If my chancelor "sows dissent" in a duchy, will he :
- damage relation between the king and the duke
- damage relations between the duke and his vassals ?

I'm still at a bit of a loss regarding gavalkind. Why, when my heirs inherit land, do they break away and form their own country? (as is the case with Calabria when playing as Apulia) however, under different succession laws, I can grant my titles to anyone and they won't break away, but stay under me. I don't understand how it works. Should family be denied land ownership?

Question about "sow dissent".
If my chancelor "sows dissent" in a duchy, will he :
- damage relation between the king and the duke
- damage relations between the duke and his vassals ?

The question of how sow dissent works is one of my biggest, and I find it very frustrating that I have not seen any satisfying answer on it. I will plant him him for years in a foreign duke's capital and see no effect on the relations between him and his king, or between the duke and his own vassals.

I'm Denmark and I've got a ducal claim on two counties within the HRE (Bremen and Hamburg, Duchy of Holstein). Is there any way of claiming these without going to war? Like gently asking him to give them up or something?

Any advice on Stamford Bridge as King Harold of England? :(
So far I've only pulled this off once, with the death of King Harald (by old age, cant believe how lucky that one was) and when William landed his troops separately. Pure luck, I know. That's why I'm asking for advices.

I'm still at a bit of a loss regarding gavalkind. Why, when my heirs inherit land, do they break away and form their own country? (as is the case with Calabria when playing as Apulia) however, under different succession laws, I can grant my titles to anyone and they won't break away, but stay under me. I don't understand how it works. Should family be denied land ownership?

I'm interested in this question too.

I'm interested in this question too.

Gavelkind is good because it makes your demesne (land you control directly) 30% larger but upon your death your titles are split up among your eligible legit sons (or daughters if you're Basque and have Cognatic Gavelkind) Basically your heir will get your major title and your other heirs will get the rest. I've pasted this from the awesome guide thread which I linked below. This guide answers a LOT of questions and made the game a hell of a lot more fun for me.

Meneth said:
Gavelkind
Gavelkind has one large advantage: Your demesne can be 30% larger. If you could normally have a demesne 8 holdings large for example, you'd with gavelkind be able to hold 10 holdings without any problems. This can make expansion easier as you don't have to immediately give up gained titles to your vassals, you can instead hold onto them until you have a suitable vassal to give them to.
It also gives 30 extra opinion with every eligible heir except the oldest, 10 opinion with the rest of your dynasty, and 5 with every other vassal.
Gavelkind does however have a rather major drawback. As your titles will be distributed between your children you will almost always end up with fewer titles upon succession, and if you hold multiple kingdoms your realm will be split. It also gives you -10 opinion with your oldest eligible heir.
One workaround for this is to ensure that there is only ever one eligible heir, and this can be done in a few different ways.
The first one, and the simplest one, is making any extraneous heirs bishops as bishops cannot inherit. This is however only possible if you have any bishoprics to grant.
Second, you can assassinate or banish any extraneous heirs. The first however has the drawback of risking the Kinslayer trait which reduces your relations with your entire dynasty and reduces your diplomacy stat, while the second induces tyranny and thus makes every vassal you have angry.
Third, you can ensure that no more than one heir is ever born, either by getting the celibate trait, or by killing your wife. The first method is far from surefire, while killing your wive risks you getting Kinslayer.
A major drawback of the 2nd and 3rd methods are that if your primary heir somehow dies before you do, you're now left with no heirs. Unless you then manage to get another heir in time or change succession laws it would be game over.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588062-GUIDE-An-in-depth-guide-to-CKII

I'm Denmark and I've got a ducal claim on two counties within the HRE (Bremen and Hamburg, Duchy of Holstein). Is there any way of claiming these without going to war? Like gently asking him to give them up or something?

I'm not 100% on this but I believe you cannot take any areas away from someone without working it out with their liege with one exception. If you are under the same crown laws and they are set low enough you can impose your will on them directly. You can also ask people to vassalize but I think you need a higher title to pull it off. You can try right clicking and see if any of the options for vassalize etc are there and read the tooltip but I"m pretty sure since his feudal lord is the Kaiser and yours is the king you won't be able to do anything with it.