• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2) In my current game the previous pope sired an illegitimate daughter and died shortly after. She is now listed as an antipope and has an inheritable claim on the papacy. What are my options if she makes it to adulthood (currently age zero and in court at Rome, so she may not make it...)? Will getting her to my court make her my antipope? If I marry her to someone and they have children can the anti-papacy be inherited (or only a claim on the papal territories)? Am I right in thinking that there is no possible way for me to push her claim? Love to hear you tips for making use of the situation if she manages to come of age. :D

Any action that would normally bring a vassal under you can be used to obtain an anti-pope. For example I'd given control of a duchy which had within it an antipope to a son and then the antipope was controlled by him. So I suppose if you had a way to aquire her territory through a de jure claim then you could get her under your control.

I have a question to steam users. I bought CKII on steam. Now where can I access the codes on my account to have the game registered on the forum?

I have a question to steam users. I bought CKII on steam. Now where can I access the codes on my account to have the game registered on the forum?

Click CK2 in your library. On the right, past the Recent News, there should be a list under the heading Links. One of these is CD Key. Now, on this site, beside the forum button at the top (under the paradox logo) click "my games"

I just bought CK II and Steam is about to finish updating the game. I was just wondering how I should go about playing/learning the game? I have never played any CK game so it is absolutely new for me. BTW, I have downloaded the guide from the FAQ section; can I use it directly instead of the manual?

I just bought CK II and Steam is about to finish updating the game. I was just wondering how I should go about playing/learning the game?
I'd suggest starting with the tutorial.

After that, one of the Irish lords is probably a good place to start. Ireland is fairly sheltered from the uproars of continental Europe, giving you time to get a feel for how things work.

I have just started playing the game, so I'm probably missing many things. One thing I noticed is that it appears that I can only choose a small number of courtiers to be appointed as council members. In particular, I have had my duke marry a foreign princess with a high stewardship score, with a plan to make her my court steward once she arrives. But even 2 years later, her name does not appear on the list of possible appointees; she did appear briefly as an option for the position of spymaster (that was also her ambition), but not as steward. The same happened with other courtiers and other positions (specifically spymaster and court chaplain). Is there something I'm missing regarding council appointments?

Women can only be spymasters. Only characters with theological educations can be court chaplains (IIRC).

Thanks for the quick reply! Another question - how long does it take for a forcibly vassalized count to begin giving me troops? I have normal feudal levies law, and the count has +4 opinion of me, but the "declared war" modifier has not disappeared (yet?).

Thanks for the quick reply! Another question - how long does it take for a forcibly vassalized count to begin giving me troops? I have normal feudal levies law, and the count has +4 opinion of me, but the "declared war" modifier has not disappeared (yet?).
The "Declared War" modifier lasts 160 months. (The file "common\opinion_modifiers.txt" in the CK2 install may be of interest.)

The pope won't let me invade the HRE. I have all of the requirements. He has a 100 opinion of me and a -3 opinion of the Kaiser. What gives? Is it because I have a good relation with the Kaiser?

NVM, I checked the wrong relations tab. The pope actually has 47 relations with the Kaiser. Guess I had better get rid of that.

Last edited:
And the womanly spymastery is limited to those that are ruler's wife or mother.
And a wife spymaster adds her skill to that intrigue as a spymaster, but stops adding half her skill as the wife to the ruler, so it's basically never worthwhile to make her the spymaster, even if she has 20 intrigue.
At least, it still was that way the last time I checked (which was a few patches ago).

I have Crusader Kings 2 on steam. I was just wondering where the save game files are stored? They seem to be slowing down the game somewhat and I'd like to delete a few of the really old ones.
I had a poke around the CK2 folder but couldn't find them.

CK2 stores save games in (My )Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II

I'd suggest starting with the tutorial.

After that, one of the Irish lords is probably a good place to start. Ireland is fairly sheltered from the uproars of continental Europe, giving you time to get a feel for how things work.

Thanks for the reply. The tutorials are not very useful to be honest, but they were still helpful.

Is the spy mission "Study Technology" broken? I get the event that i have suceeded, however it doesnt progress my actual research.

Is bishops for orthodox giving you the same taxes even if your relation to them vs. the patriach is worse. So in my georgian game it would be better to just build bishops rather than cities and castles for taxes and troops.

As king of Navarra I got an invitaiton from the queen of Castillia to marry me matrilineally (we share both house Jimena). we had a son, which inherited Navarra, Castillia, Leon and Galicia. His primary title is still Navarra, but his daughter (after his death) becomes queen of Castillia.

Two questions:

- how do I change back to kingdom of Navarra as my primary title, seems the AI can do that ...
- how to prevent this, Navarra has elective and I choose her as my heir for Navarra's crown?

perhaps a bug ? or not ?