• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stupid question, but what are the penalties (if any) for changing your capital? Would any of you guys recommend it?

-

Also, mercenaries are based on distance to capital, not to kingdom, right?

Any hints about how to become Byzantine Emperor? It seems pretty impossible to beat him in a war.

Also just wondering, is there any war to change the succession law when you are a vassal?

Is Legacy mode (notebook / netbook / SM 2.0 compability) in development? I would love to play CK2 on my old machine without slowdowns.

GLAD YOU ASKED LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY FINE LINE OF PRODUCTS (in sig)

Any hints about how to become Byzantine Emperor? It seems pretty impossible to beat him in a war.

Also just wondering, is there any war to change the succession law when you are a vassal?

It's easy to beat him in a war, it's just not easy if you're a vassal. Just wait for one of the inevitable cycles of revolution that happen and/or Seljuk pushing again, throw your entire army + 2k mercs in a boat and drop them off in Constantinople.

Becoming Emperor legit is harder than HRE but it's possible through marriage. Marrying Doukas is usually a good idea anyway because they're always a race of supermen for some reason.

Stupid question, but what are the penalties (if any) for changing your capital? Would any of you guys recommend it?

Penalties are only for wrong religion afaik. My capital is always 'the province with the highest Legalism'. Yes on mercs.

If you are a king, is there any way to change the succession laws of your vassal dukes? I'm trying to prevent multi-dukes from forming via inter-marriage, but at least two duchies have succession by elective and end up electing a female heir who is married to another male duke, uniting their (already quite large) holdings.

Nope, looks like a job for assassins. If you were an emperor and had a spare king title with Primo on it you could give it to them if you're really desperate but as a king I don't know any way.

Last edited:

-

In addition to what themendios said, there's a distance modifier to revolt risk. If your capital is in Constantinople, Iceland gets uppity.

Vanilla latest version. I, king of Burgundy, married my close landless relative to a girl who has a claim on Shia Caliphate. She is in my court. When declaring the war on caliph, I don't have an option to press claim - only lots of holy war for duchy options. Why?

Vanilla latest version. I, king of Burgundy, married my close landless relative to a girl who has a claim on Shia Caliphate. She is in my court. When declaring the war on caliph, I don't have an option to press claim - only lots of holy war for duchy options. Why?

Woman claims are only valid in cognatic which I highly doubt the Shia Caliphate is doing.

Wait for it to pass to the son.

Women get claims because they do have them. They're just unenforceable as long as they would be unallowed to rule. It's possible that the laws of the realm change, which would activate them.
That's really improbable for the Caliphate, though.

That's disappointing, because my scheme won't work, but also relieving because I thought Christian rulers can't press for caliphate at all.

I guess I'd have to find a way to invite a male claimant somehow, and then marry him materlinearly...

I have the same problem when trying to annex France or England: They have Agnatic succession and my next 2 "valid" heirs are men, so I know I won't bite them in a long time.

Is there any plot available to make a foreign kingdom change the agnatic succession law? In that case, which conditions may trigger the plot?

if i am an independent ruler and want to convert my religion, but not my culture, but there are NO tutors available for that relgion+culture, waht do i need to do to become that religion? i was thinking of maybe dying so a underage child took over, but that may not be the smartest thing to do

also, is this any easier as an vassel? or maybe with a heresy?

Last edited:
So I started playing as the count of Gelre and I would now like to work my way up to a duke.

Now I have this greyed out decision: Demand Duchy from Liege
For that I need his oponion of me to be at least 25 (which it is)
and
Liege:
Demesne Title:
Title rank is duke
desired by: Count Gozewijn of Gelre(me)
Can be given away
Duke Kuno I's rank is lower than Duke

Duke Kuno I is my liege, who in turn has the Holy Roman Emporer as a liege.
Now something in all of this seems to be dissallowing me this decision. I can't figure out which one it is though. If I play as Duke Kuno I can grant the duchy to Count Gozewijn.

I am mostly puzzled bij the last part: Duke Kuno I's rank is lower than Duke
Does the game think he isn't a duke?

Is Duke Kuno I really a count married to a landed Duchess by chance? In that case, he gets the title but not the power. edit - I think I misread some of the post above, since you can't be a vassal of another count. Ignore this idea.

So I started playing as the count of Gelre and I would now like to work my way up to a duke.

Now I have this greyed out decision: Demand Duchy from Liege
For that I need his oponion of me to be at least 25 (which it is)
and
Liege:
Demesne Title:
Title rank is duke
desired by: Count Gozewijn of Gelre(me)
Can be given away
Duke Kuno I's rank is lower than Duke

Duke Kuno I is my liege, who in turn has the Holy Roman Emporer as a liege.
Now something in all of this seems to be dissallowing me this decision. I can't figure out which one it is though. If I play as Duke Kuno I can grant the duchy to Count Gozewijn.

I am mostly puzzled bij the last part: Duke Kuno I's rank is lower than Duke
Does the game think he isn't a duke?
A duchy being desired means that you are it's de jure vassal and (I think) it is not the main title of the liege.
A duke cannot give his main title away, so the duke of Aquitaine cannot give that duchy away, but he can give the other duchies he has away.

A duchy being desired means that you are it's de jure vassal and (I think) it is not the main title of the liege.
A duke cannot give his main title away, so the duke of Aquitaine cannot give that duchy away, but he can give the other duchies he has away.

yes that seems right.
He has 2 dutchies, namely köln and gelre. And Köln being the main one.
But still no clue why I can't ask it of him xD

If I start a game as the count of lyon I can also ask for a dutchy, directly from the holy roman emporer.
But what it says as the last line then is:
Kaiser Heinrich III's rank is lower then the Emperor.

So it will always have an impossible necessity?

EDIT:
Or could it just be that I need to be a duke before I can ask for the duchy?

Last edited:
If I start a game as the count of lyon I can also ask for a dutchy, directly from the holy roman emporer.

That's an odd one, I guess it's target is for Kings (the tier below). That plot almost never works though, he will just give it to you if you're in de jure area and he starts overloading on duchies.

Can you take advantage of "foreign" rebels?

Example 1: The small kingdom next to me (whose queen I helped plot to take the throne and we have a good relationship) is having a huge problem with rebels. Is there any reason for me to go and kill them? Would I gain anything? If they occupy the small kingdom what will happen to it?

Example 2: My Muslim enemies are having problems with some (Christian) rebels. Is there any way I can assist the rebels or "create" more in other counties?

Can you take advantage of "foreign" rebels?

Example 1: The small kingdom next to me (whose queen I helped plot to take the throne and we have a good relationship) is having a huge problem with rebels. Is there any reason for me to go and kill them? Would I gain anything? If they occupy the small kingdom what will happen to it?

Example 2: My Muslim enemies are having problems with some (Christian) rebels. Is there any way I can assist the rebels or "create" more in other counties?

There is a relations bonus for clearing out rebels, but I've only seen it on vassals. I'm unsure if foreign rulers will get it. As for creating more, no, there is no way.

I had somewhat of a baffling situation in a game i'm currently playing with 2 friends so if anyone could explain it to me, i'd really appreciate it.

Situation: I were playing as bourbon (had 4 or 5 counties at the time, i think i were still at rank of count though). The friends were toulouse and ireland and besides 2nd coming in as ally to the last assault didn't participate in this. I manage to get claims to 2 counties in independent brittany (i thought they would lack in some of their levies after their previous war against someone they had so thought i'd grab those 2 easternmost ones) and proceed to press both claims and attack.

Only war for both me and brittany at the time. I raise my ~3k personal levies that i can and crush the troops brittany got (yay).

France starts a holy war on some emir in spain, and both me (being part of france after all) and brittany are pretty much just onlookers but on france's side on that war. France suddenly just marches his 10k+ stack into my troops who've sieged those 2 counties with only ~300 brittanys troops attacking me and those french troops actually Beat the shit outta me.

I'm never in war with france, he still likes me, i like him, yet whenever his troops are in same county as brittany's, they massacre mine.

This happens a 2nd time (bought mercs so had some 6k troops that time), again france goes after some random shithole in spain, but does a little detour to ruin my day and war.

3rd time i get some allies in there with me and while france Yet-Again starts to wage war in spain, this time he doesn't detour to brittany so finally i win the stupid, loooong war that drove me nuts.

We never understood what made France work like it did so...any insights?
The names of troops did read as french so shouldn't be mercs or holy orders (not to mention i were a good catholic as was whole close dynasty so no worries on latter for that reason either)