• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the quick answers! This thread is a great idea.

I saw an interesting thing happen in a multiplayer game last night and I was trying to figure out exactly what happened.

My friend and I were playing 2 county counts on opposite sides of the HRE. He was directly under the Kaiser (Leon) and I was under the Duke of Verona and Carinthia ( I was in Carinthia).

The interesting thing was we got a pop up message that said something about battle of the (some french sounding name). My friend had a betrothal to the daughter of the Kaiser. Next thing we know the Kaiser is dead and some french guy is the new Kaiser. We checked his family trees but he had absolutely no relation we could see to the old Kaiser.

Can anyone explain what happened? I realize it's probably hard without specific names but I assume someone had a claim to the Emperor Title and killed him and took it?

Betrothal for a king's daughter.

I'm the King of Ireland and I have an infant daughter.

Now I could arrange a betrothal to a nice ruler, but that would mean if they married regularly, she'd move to his court and I'd lose her.

Then again, I can wait till she is an adult, and arrange a matrilinear marriage.

Does the AI let me betroth my daughter to an important ruler, and then when she comes into adulthood, I reject regular marriage and spam the AI with matrilinear marriage? Will the AI finally give in? Will they remain betrothed till one of them dies?

My successor is a member of the Swedish court, but as he is the half brother of my current king, he is still in my dynasty. I just want to make sure nothing suspicious will happen upon my ruler's death.

Thanks!

Your heir is of your dynasty, you should be fine. He might try to kill you though.

Really stupid question, but is lust... hereditary in this game? I've had it given to my king on at least three successions.

(which actually led to a kind of humorous situation where my king cuckolded his heir)

Lustful is not listed as being congenital. The mentor you use will significantly increase the chances for lustful, so that could be a possibility, if you keep using the same mentor.

What happened to looting a province? Is it completely gone? I can't find how to do it.

After sieging you loot and get some gold. It can actually be a decent amount too.

How do I change my opinion on supporting/ignoring a proposed crown law? Specifically, I ignored increase crown authority so I could attack another vassal. War won, I now have a second son and would like to change to primogeniture. (Takes 2 crown authority increases, I know, the current emperor is quite old, if this one passes, there's a good chance his heir will propose the next one.)

I think you just wait, and will get asked again, but am not certain.

Can you request counties like or vassal transfers from the Ilieges that hold de jure titles or vassals in your de jure realm? . The AI does sometimes ask you this.

Or is the only way for the player to acquire the vassal to war with their liege?

Looks like there is an event that can trigger your request. You want to be greedy, envious and/or ambitious to increase the chances of the event triggering for you. If you want your liege to say yes, presumably you do, you want the liege to be charitable, just and content. Also have +25 relations, do not ask if relations are below 0, or he is greedy. Also he may just give the other guy a claim on you, so hey, have fun.

Did the Tegus thread fix that shield issue?

Last edited:

Now I could arrange a betrothal to a nice ruler, but that would mean if they married regularly, she'd move to his court and I'd lose her.

Then again, I can wait till she is an adult, and arrange a matrilinear marriage.

Does the AI let me betroth my daughter to an important ruler, and then when she comes into adulthood, I reject regular marriage and spam the AI with matrilinear marriage? Will the AI finally give in? Will they remain betrothed till one of them dies?

A betrothal doesn't have anything to do with the type of the marriage later, but the AI will always try to get the better one for him (you can make the first proposal when you do it the same day both kids are old enough - but beware the AI won't ever accept a mtrilinear marriage when the son is anywhere near a succession (i found out that the AI normally accepts for the 4th member in the succession line, but NEVER for the first 3))

Betrothal can be broken -> huge impact on relations of course :)

How do I set a character or country to "Interesting"?

If that is the message interest option. Right click on the portrait, two bubbles appear, goto and diplo, right click goto, 3 bubbles appear one is toggle message interest.

Thanks for the quick answers! This thread is a great idea.

I saw an interesting thing happen in a multiplayer game last night and I was trying to figure out exactly what happened.

My friend and I were playing 2 county counts on opposite sides of the HRE. He was directly under the Kaiser (Leon) and I was under the Duke of Verona and Carinthia ( I was in Carinthia).

The interesting thing was we got a pop up message that said something about battle of the (some french sounding name). My friend had a betrothal to the daughter of the Kaiser. Next thing we know the Kaiser is dead and some french guy is the new Kaiser. We checked his family trees but he had absolutely no relation we could see to the old Kaiser.

Can anyone explain what happened? I realize it's probably hard without specific names but I assume someone had a claim to the Emperor Title and killed him and took it?

I can't really tell you what happened since it wasn't my game, but the empire is elective, so a direct link between rulers is not necessary. Does the French Kaiser have any other titles?

You can betroth her, and not accept regular marriage, propose matrilineal marriage. They are very likely never to "give in" though, so they will just stay betrothed. You can break betrothals, it's a relation hit, not sure if the AI does it though.

Rather than make a new thread for a simple question I'll ask it here. I guess that'd be why it's called a quick questions thread, hehe.

I have twice received a message that one of the courtiers in Lecce wants to kill the local count, Geoffrey of Lecce. I don't really care if she does. I want him out of the way so as I can insert one of my own family as count. Is it entirely random as to whether she will attempt, and then succeed, in killing him? I've looked for options to aid her but none appear to exist. If I try to depose him might she take her oppurtunity?

Rather than make a new thread for a simple question I'll ask it here. I guess that'd be why it's called a quick questions thread, hehe.

I have twice received a message that one of the courtiers in Lecce wants to kill the local count, Geoffrey of Lecce. I don't really care if she does. I want him out of the way so as I can insert one of my own family as count. Is it entirely random as to whether she will attempt, and then succeed, in killing him? I've looked for options to aid her but none appear to exist. If I try to depose him might she take her oppurtunity?

I'm not quite sure, but maybe one way to help would be to send monetary gifts to the courtier? (assuming that the AI courtiers have to pay the same 50 gold we have to assasinate someone - so maybe she would try it if she get enough money)

EDIT: or simply do it yourself :p order your spymaster to build a spy network in his main province and than assasinate him :)

If I reclaim one title is there any penalty for taking the opportunity and reclaiming lots at the same time? My vassles seem to only have one -20 revoked vassal titles penalty.

Hi guys,I am playing with Dukljanin dynasty and pope called for first crusade on Barcelona i sent army there and they are waiting inside county but cant attack why?Do i have to join crusade manualy ,how?

You have to declare war with the holy war casus belli (just like yu declare an ordinary war) - btw you have to disband your troops first, or else you can't declare war

Hi guys,I am playing with Dukljanin dynasty and pope called for first crusade on Barcelona i sent army there and they are waiting inside county but cant attack why?Do i have to join crusade manualy ,how?
You have to declare war on whoever owns the province or that person's liege. There is a special CB you can use called "crusade" or something.

If I reclaim one title is there any penalty for taking the opportunity and reclaiming lots at the same time? My vassles seem to only have one -20 revoked vassal titles penalty.
I'm pretty sure the penalty is per title.

Quick question: Is there a max number of children a person can have? My current ruler is at 10 kids. He's only 42 so he's definitely still able to pump out the kids, and his current wife is 22. She has a fertility modifier of +15%, and neither have any negative fertility modifiers. But in the 5 years they've been married they haven't had a single kid, which I find odd since my ruler was pumping out kids every year before he hit 10 kids.

I read on another thread somewhere that if your court is too full it may impact people having kids in it (dunno the exact logic behind it...). My court had 52, so I trimmed it down to 38 through marriages and a few arranged "accidents" for those too old to marry out. One of my sons (a bastard) also had an "accident", thus lowering my living children count down to 9... still nothing.

How exactly do you get the option to plot for lower crown authority?
Trying to create the kingdom of burgundy is quite difficult if the emperors manage to rush to high CA :p

Trying to create the kingdom of burgundy is quite difficult if the emperors manage to rush to high CA :p

I second this question. I had to settle for Kingdom of Sicily instead of Italy. Woe is me.

If I create a Duke title that is de jure part of my second kingdom, the succession law for that duchy is the same as that of my first kingdom. I would prefer these duchies to have the law of the second kingdom; is it possible to do this? I suppose that one possibility is to give enough counties to one count for him to make the title, and then gift him a load of money so he can create it instead of me.

Also, my second kingdom is Gavelkind and my first kingdom is Elective. If none of my sons has land, then, if the elective heir is of my dynasty, this man also becomes heir of my second kingdom. If my first son has land, then he is heir to the second kingdom no matter who the heir of the first kingdom is. Presumably there is a bug at work here. I am confused.

I second this question. I had to settle for Kingdom of Sicily instead of Italy. Woe is me.

Plot, not sure what's required though.

How do I set a character or country to "Interesting"?

find a picture of your interesting person
rightclick on it
rightclick again at the profile icon
=> chose one of the 3 icons (buttom left I think)

There isn't an option to plot for that at all, just the usual plots and ambitions (murder spouse/random person, become paragon etc)

The plot exists and the prereqs are minimal. 16+, not incapable, not an imbecile, not jailed, that sorta thing.
The only thing that might be an issue is "relative_power_to_liege = 0.05". I'm not sure what it's basing relative power off of. Duke of York can do it in 1066, Carinthia cannot, Duke of Epirus can.

Edit: Carinthia can't do it because the HRE is auto in 1066.

Edit2: It might be related to de jure status. Apulia can swear fealty to the Byzantines (de jure part of the empire) and lower authority, but if swears fealty to Castille (not de jure), it cannot.

Last edited: