• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am a king with a large realm. I can only hold two duchies and 10 counties directly. I want to maximize my income. So I'll try to control the *best* 10 counties (same culture, multiple holdings, etc.). But for my 2 duchies, what should I keep? The two largest (minus what I hold directly)? Or do I want to hold on to the duchies where my personal counties are?

If you hold on to counties outside your own duchies, and duchies with few of your counties in them, the dukes with your county in their de jure territory will desire it, souring relations. Counts will also sometimes desire a duchy, if their county is de jure in your duchy.

What determines whether a newly-appointed vassal is considered a Burgher, Baron or Bishop? Does the first holding you give him determine that... eg: if he first receives a Castle, then he is a Baron and any Town or Church will get the "wrong demesne type" penalty? Or does it depend on his stats?

I decided to try a Russian Duke (the one who starts with Kiev; can't remember which one) and I'm having a hard time. Since all of my fellow Russians are Dukes, and Dukes cannot (as far as I know) swear fealty to Dukes, I can either have a small number of happy vassals + independent duchies to vie with or a large number of angry ones, since they will tolerate at most two duchies. Is there anything I can do to get around this? This also makes conquests difficult, since I can't take anything unless it's county level or below.

Hey guys,
I am new to this forum here as well as I am new to that game.
Having read a lot here and still playing my first game (due to lack of time, unfortunately) I am still in that "learning process".
I chose Munster to begin with, united Ireland quite fast - was a great feeling :D - and invited most of the Irish counts into my kingdom. Just one or two weren't willing to join my small empire, but I conquered them later on. Now I have land in Wales, England, Poland and Spain. And I've got some questions I'd like to ask you:

a) How can I give the title e.g. Duke of Galicia to my third son without giving him the counties as land? And: am I right that he then has that title, but de facto he has no control over the land so I can still form troops there to conquer the rest of the Iberian peninsula? (Leon can't handle that, the rest of the Spanish kingdoms / duchies are gone, there's a big English part, but I don't want them to control Spain)

b) What do you prefer as dukes and counts... members of your family or other dynasties?
For instance: right now, my king has 5 sons. I have primogeniture, but noone is trying to kill anyone. Quite proud of my family :) But my third & fourth son are great guys, in fact I'd prefer them to become ruler of my kingdom, but I won't assasinate my own son. So, I want to give them land. But there are also very loyal people who should be rewarded by getting land. So - on the long term - as there is always a dynasty bonus, isn't it better to grant titles to direct family members?

c) ... which leads me to my last question for right now. Sorry, if they are that "easy", but as I told you... still learning. There is a duke who married his daughter to a French count. Idiot. Furthermore, in the past he was freaking me out. So, I'd love to revoke his titles. But, unfortunately, I cannot do this without this -20 penalty of all the other vassals. I wonder: is this -20 fading away within time? So to speak, after ten years e.g. is it still -20 or is it gone? Until now, I only revoked titles when counts rebelled against me or tried to kill one of my family members...

Thanks for your help. Surely wont be the last time I ask some stupid questions.
One last thing I have to say... GREAT game. It is AWESOME. It's like my personal song of ice and fire, it's my game of thrones. When I inherited land abroad in Poland or England I felt like "MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". Great.

As a Duke you are not limited with your dukal titles - so utill you create the crown of Rus you don't really have to worry.

Very good! That's great news :)

Most likely your son "desired a better alliance" and rejected the marriage. Once he has his own court, he makes the decision.

That couldnt be the case as they stayed betrothed till death them apart. Would be wife died in her late 40s. Sometime after this husband revolted against the mad king and had to assassinate him as half of the realm is under my dynasty's rule.

Hey guys,

a) How can I give the title e.g. Duke of Galicia to my third son without giving him the counties as land? And: am I right that he then has that title, but de facto he has no control over the land so I can still form troops there to conquer the rest of the Iberian peninsula? (Leon can't handle that, the rest of the Spanish kingdoms / duchies are gone, there's a big English part, but I don't want them to control Spain)
You can only give a Duke title to someone who already has a landed title, since you can't be a feudal lord without having any demense at all. Give your son an county, and you'll then be able to give him a duke title. You are correct about him not having control over the land.

Say that I rule a kingdom with elective law, and someone not in my dynasty wins the election. I know that I don't lose the game but instead play as my dynastic heir, who inherits my demense and rules it as a duke. But what succession law determines who that heir is? Does the game "remember" that my duchy had (say) agnatic-cognatic gavelkind before getting the kingdom?

Duchies have their own succession laws, I think.

I wanted to lower the crown authority in Wales, but I can't find anyone to invite to the plot. My plot power is at 600-something percent, but without another member in the plot I can't actually do anything. What gives?

Hey guys,
I am new to this forum here as well as I am new to that game.
Having read a lot here and still playing my first game (due to lack of time, unfortunately) I am still in that "learning process".
I chose Munster to begin with, united Ireland quite fast - was a great feeling :D - and invited most of the Irish counts into my kingdom. Just one or two weren't willing to join my small empire, but I conquered them later on. Now I have land in Wales, England, Poland and Spain. And I've got some questions I'd like to ask you:

b) What do you prefer as dukes and counts... members of your family or other dynasties?
For instance: right now, my king has 5 sons. I have primogeniture, but noone is trying to kill anyone. Quite proud of my family :) But my third & fourth son are great guys, in fact I'd prefer them to become ruler of my kingdom, but I won't assasinate my own son. So, I want to give them land. But there are also very loyal people who should be rewarded by getting land. So - on the long term - as there is always a dynasty bonus, isn't it better to grant titles to direct family members?

c) ... which leads me to my last question for right now. Sorry, if they are that "easy", but as I told you... still learning. There is a duke who married his daughter to a French count. Idiot. Furthermore, in the past he was freaking me out. So, I'd love to revoke his titles. But, unfortunately, I cannot do this without this -20 penalty of all the other vassals. I wonder: is this -20 fading away within time? So to speak, after ten years e.g. is it still -20 or is it gone? Until now, I only revoked titles when counts rebelled against me or tried to kill one of my family members...

Thanks for your help. Surely wont be the last time I ask some stupid questions.
One last thing I have to say... GREAT game. It is AWESOME. It's like my personal song of ice and fire, it's my game of thrones. When I inherited land abroad in Poland or England I felt like "MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". Great.
a) you can't give him the duchy without giving him at least one county title. You can keep the others for yourself, but he'll hate that. You'll still be able to raise troops from his holdings once he owns them. Just the amount may be less if he doesn't like you, and he will object if you keep them raised too long.
b) I like a mix. Your dynasty gets prestige from every title held. But they need some other families within the realm to marry. Also non-dynastic families tend to plot against you less.
c) Yes it fades away with time. But depending on how powerful the French crown is, this might be good for you. If its crown authority is medium or lower, it's likely that the French count will end up your vassal, bringing his county with him.

Are AntiPopes supposed to be able to get paid by people outside your realm? I posted a save game on this in the bugs forum. Basically I gave the pope a bishopric. He excommunicated me a few times and I got tired of paying and got an anti pope and declared war on him. Now my anti pope is getting 320g a year....

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?593026-Anti-Pope-getting-gold-from-Bishops-Outside-Area&p=13543786#post13543786
Yes. Any bishops who like your anti-pope better than the real pope or their liege will pay him.

What do I do with rebels if I can't defeat them?

They took my capital province completely and now they just sit there. My other provinces won't generate enough levies to defeat them, saving up for enough mercs will take half a century. And the rebels just sit there...

Don't worry, they'll start burning things soon.

I think you're out of luck. Your liege might deal with them if you're lucky, but other than that... yeah, it sucks.

Edit: I think they can go away on their own at times though, and there might be events that can remove them as well (although I've not seen any).

If a vassal has a -30 for "Wrong Holding Type" does that mean that he has the wrong kind of holding or that I do? If it's him, is there anything I can do about that?

Is there anyway to modify my marriage? King Sancho was probably cursed when he killed all of his brothers because he only begat daughters. That was fine because my firstborn daughter was married matrilinearly. However, Sancho and the princess died close together and now the Duke or Orleans is going to inherit all my hard work. They have 3 children. Is there anyway out of this besides murdering all her children? I'm fine modifying the game if I have too.