• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, I'm a bit lost. I felt like I'd gotten the hang of CK2 more and more, but now I'm just left very baffled.

Situation: I'm a duke in India with a single province under a king. We lost most of it to our neighbour king some time ago. I've been biding my time, gathering karma and money, and decided the time was right to attack the neighbour king using the Subjugation of Tamilakam casus belli. I'd hired a holy order with 6.7k troops, let them get to 100% morale and went to siege. But no matter what province I sieged, be it the capital or a random province, I immediately got the siege result screen up saying "Defeat...". Screenshot here: http://puu.sh/eVdnH/bd622fffc3.jpg

The king I'm warring is off on the Maldives fighting, so all his forts are empty (screenshot of capital here: http://puu.sh/eVemJ/09603399f0.jpg).

Anyone got a clue what's going?

Edit: Nvm me, I just now realised holy orders will only fight infidels and heretics.

Does anyone know how to turn off the spiraling "fog of war" animation in game for a more plain one? I haven't seen a mod for it. I want to reduce as much strain on my laptop as possible.

You could use the console to turn it off by 'fow' command.
The only mod i found was this: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?703692-MOD-Clouds-of-War-a-fog-of-war-replacer
(no idea if it still works, neither do i know if it reduces the strain on your laptop; found it by searching "fog of war" and thread titles)
It's also on the Steam Workshop http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242660576

Is it normal that it takes years and years for a claim to be fabricated? My chancellor has Diplomacy 16, so it's not that he's a slouch, but he's been trying for 7 years now and nothing is happening. I'm starting to think that I've goofed up again somehow.
It's pretty normal. Also, your chancellor may have been bribed by AI to sit there and do nothing. Move him to another county once in a while. See here.

So my ruler is incapable and over the demense limit (...) Is there anything I can do to get out of it? (Do I need to look for people the regent really likes??)
From my experience incapable characters don't last long. My emperor died after few months. It may be worth it to just wait a bit. How high are you over the limit?

Last edited:
Is being jewish character harmful to one's province conversion rate? I have been possesing lands as a nubian jew and all of my vassals are ashkenazi jews. None of us managed to change culture or religion of a single province for more than 100 years. May it be connected with the fact that I was early vassalized to Abyssinia and now I'm subject to Abbasid Caliphate?

...and now I'm subject to Abbasid Caliphate?

That's it.
It's the top liege that matters.

Outside of that, you need high religious moral authority to increase chance of religious conversion (when independent).

Is it normal that it takes years and years for a claim to be fabricated? My chancellor has Diplomacy 16, so it's not that he's a slouch, but he's been trying for 7 years now and nothing is happening. I'm starting to think that I've goofed up again somehow.

I currently have a Chancellor with an over 19% chance make 1 claim in over 30 years. I suspect the %age chance displayed is bullshit, in my limited experience no Chancellor has ever met what would be an average success rate.

I'm currently playing as the Byz empire from the TOG start with HIP enabled. My goal is to restore the roman empire and so far I'm following the HIP imperial reconquest path.
But somehow the decision to restore the roman empire suddenly disappeared. I'm still the emperor of the byzantine empire, orthodox faith etc. But in one save game I have the decision available and in a later one (10 years later, same character) it's gone.
Any ideas what could have triggered the disappearance?

A long time ago--around when The Republic DLC came out--I started out as a patrician and eventually became a noble. I don't recall if it was on purpose, by accident, or the result of a bug. But I'd like to do it deliberately this time. I have sadly forgotten how it was done (or, if it was a bug, patched out). Anyone know, or have a link to, how this is accomplished now?

A long time ago--around when The Republic DLC came out--I started out as a patrician and eventually became a noble. I don't recall if it was on purpose, by accident, or the result of a bug. But I'd like to do it deliberately this time. I have sadly forgotten how it was done (or, if it was a bug, patched out). Anyone know, or have a link to, how this is accomplished now?

The only regular way is to hold a castle and only a castle as a patrician and fight for independence.
At least that was the way it used to be.

The only bug i can imagine, is when the game hasn't updated succession just after you landed a dynasty member as a feudal, then grant him independence, kill yourself and get him inherit....in theory.

I press my mife's weak claim on a neighbouring duchy. I win, enforce demands, he accepts. the message said I won. Two days later, I notice the original guy is back in charge. In case it matters, I'm Irish, my wife is Welsh and the claim was Gwynned.

Oh, and now she has a strong claim, but neither she nor her son are mentioned in the line of succession.

What happened?

Sounds like there was a faction whose demands she submitted to without a fight. Although those normally take longer than two days.

Did something happen with prepared invasions? THey are incredibly terrible now. It seems like they are only based on the target so if you do a prepared invasion on say a weak pictland you end up with 1000 troops (or even zero) and then get hit by 8000 allies and wrecked. This is starting in the CHarlemagne start.

Sounds like there was a faction whose demands she submitted to without a fight. Although those normally take longer than two days.

Must have been something like that, because it was literally within the week. oh well, my grandson married the duchess of Gwyness a generation later, so he's now the royal consort (and with a matrilinear marriage too). They have agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. That should mean that all he has to do, is get a son, right?

If your grandson is going to be your heir, and the situation is as you describe: yes, if he has a son, the son will inherit both your lands and Gwynedd. It will be game over if your grandson and the duchess are of different dynasties, because his son will be of his wife's dynasty.

If your grandson is going to be your heir, and the situation is as you describe: yes, if he has a son, the son will inherit both your lands and Gwynedd. It will be game over if your grandson and the duchess are of different dynasties, because his son will be of his wife's dynasty.

Wait. I misinformed you. Sorry. Got my grandson and my granddaughter mixed up. His marriage is NOT matrilinear.

I've got my character's only daughter bethrothed to a Petty King's only son and heir. But when I look at the declare war screen, it lists "no bethrothals to close relatives" as being green (unfulfilled), and I can declare war on him. And presumably he can declare war on me. I'm a tribal Germanic.

Is it a bug?