• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Court Chaplain + Inquisition.

Can I put my Court Chaplain on a regular vassal county of mine with the Inquisition mission, and he'll find maybe accuse the Earl of that county being a heretic, giving me a reason to revoke his title?

Or does that not work that way?

@EMC2Trooper : The courtier probably has a claim on a title somewhere. His current liege is unable to press this claim for some reason, that's why he's eager to move to a new court. (which hopefully WILL be able to press his claim)

Question of my own :

How do I change the culture of a character ? I've read something about assigning a tutor, but I'm not sure what to do exactly.

Can I put my Court Chaplain on a regular vassal county of mine with the Inquisition mission, and he'll find maybe accuse the Earl of that county being a heretic, giving me a reason to revoke his title?

Or does that not work that way?

I suppose you could. It may take a very long time though.

How do I change the culture of a character ? I've read something about assigning a tutor, but I'm not sure what to do exactly.

Find someone of the desired culture. They're unlikely to accept if they're not in your court. Then go to their diplomatic menu, select "Educate Child", select the child in question, then send. The child will then be tutored by the person in question until either of them die, or the child hits sixteen.

It's quite likely that an event will fire for the child, which changes either their culture or religion to that of the tutor.

Hello, I've got a question. I'm playing as Poland and I can now create the Kingdom of Lithuania as a title. Is it worth doing? What will happen if I do create it? Will I rule both kingdoms and will my heir inherit it under gravelkind succession? I really have no idea how this stuff works :L

Thanks for help!

You get lots of prestige for creating a kingdom. You will rule both kingdoms until you die, whereupon if you have two eligible heirs (two+ sons, or no sons and two+ daughters) the second son will inherit one and the eldest the other and it will pass from your direct control.

The best way to stop this is to murder your heirs until there is only one left :)

It's quite difficult to manage, as Lithuanian dukes will desire the kingdom.

Question of my own :

Thanks for the reply.

And to answer this, if you assign a tutor with a different culture/religion, there's a chance of the child adopting one or either.

EDIT: New question. Is there a restriction on what genders can be assigned to certain council positions?

Thanks InnocentIII. Conveniently Ive just won a crusade and accomplished the life goal of becoming holy so im swimming in piety. The money will take a while though. Will becoming King do anything besides allowing me to take the rest of Ireland?

Actually, unlike Dukes, who get a claim on the rest of their duchy, Kings get no extra claims. The higher title gets you +1 to stewardship, easier to get good marriages, bigger penalty for low end marriages. basically being King is just cooler. Careful taking another King title, it's a chore. If you had gavelkind then a King title keeps your dukedoms from splitting your holdings. Not such a problem in Ireland though, but for Burgundy it helps alot.

Is there a restriction on what genders can be assigned to certain council positions?

Women can only be spymasters, and then only if they are the spouse or the mother of the title-holder, i.e. you.

Thanks again InnocentIII. Yeah i became king an hour or so ago and noticed that i still need claims to take the rest of Ireland. On the plus side i seem to be able to make the rest of the Irish dukes my vassals diplomatically now. The thing I really need now is some help poaching good counselors from neighboring lands. I tried giving them gifts but they never seem to want to come to my court and i dont have any eligible princesses to marry them into my kingdom.

What kind of education do you guys give your king? Stewardship training?

Help!:)

I cant find how to create title (Kingdom of Bohemia). When I started game, there was icon that two titles can be created (one was Kingdom of Bohemia). I didnt met requirements, of course. But now, I cant find in "Realm" tab again this possibility - because I dont remember exact number of piety. Or it will pop again ehwn I meet requirements? Or...?

Thanks for help :)

When you invite someone to your court as a duke with a claim on another duchy, and then win the war to install them, do they become vassals or just allies?

I think neither.

Help!:)

I cant find how to create title (Kingdom of Bohemia). When I started game, there was icon that two titles can be created (one was Kingdom of Bohemia). I didnt met requirements, of course. But now, I cant find in "Realm" tab again this possibility - because I dont remember exact number of piety. Or it will pop again ehwn I meet requirements? Or...?

Thanks for help :)

Click on a province which is de jure part of Bohemia. Then find the title in the province menu.

When you invite someone to your court as a duke with a claim on another duchy, and then win the war to install them, do they become vassals or just allies?

They will be independent unless you would be their de jure liege or they are a part of your dynasty. The last part you can engineer, invite someone with an inheritable claim that doesn't have a spouse and then (matrilineal) marry them to someone of your line so that the heir of your dynasty eventually gets the claim.

Hi all, first time poster on these forums and have been playing for a week now. Question: I can send my dynasty children to be tutored elsewhere given a positive enough relation, but I cannot offer to educate someone elses child due to it always having a -5 modifier for "hostage in a foreign power". I've tried improving the childs lords rating of me with no results; I've sent one of my children to be educated to the very same count prior to asking to educate his courtier with no results. Swore fealty to the same overlord as the count and asked again, same thing. All of the parties have the same culture. What am I missing here?

edit: assasinated the current guardian prior to asking, no result.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember a file called "userdir.txt" in the main folder.

That worked, thanks!

They ought to have "where are my saves" and "how do I change it to normal" in a FAQ.

Two Questions:

1)
I am earl, independent and at war. I want to set my leaders of my troops. But i can´t. Why? I remember, last game it works for me.. but i was a king. Only kings can do this?

2)
Menu character (last menu at the right) - here u can see all characters... but when i set "empire" or "vassals", i didn´t see my chancellor for example (one mayor doesn´t appear too). Why did he not appear there?

thx!

Last edited:
Just got an opportunity to play yesterday, fired up as Emperor Baldwin I of the Latin Empire. For some reason it starts as Semi-Agnatic gavelkind. This means that Baldwin's daughter inherits. I presume this is done so that Flanders can be kept as Baldwin's (via his daughter) but it really messes things up. In reality, Baldwin's brother Henry inherited (he had no sons).

How can I alter the files so that the Empire starts with Primogeniture? I wouldn't mind just editing a save instead of the history files if that's possible.

Just got an opportunity to play yesterday, fired up as Emperor Baldwin I of the Latin Empire. For some reason it starts as Semi-Agnatic gavelkind. This means that Baldwin's daughter inherits. I presume this is done so that Flanders can be kept as Baldwin's (via his daughter) but it really messes things up. In reality, Baldwin's brother Henry inherited (he had no sons).

How can I alter the files so that the Empire starts with Primogeniture? I wouldn't mind just editing a save instead of the history files if that's possible.

Henry inherited the Latin Empire, Flanders was inherited by his Baldwin's daughter Jeanne. The game seems to be respresenting the actual situation just fine, no? Latin Empire to the brother and Flanders to the daughter in history, Latin Empire to the brother and Flanders to the daughter in the game.

Question, there is a plot to kill one of my vassal's wife and only heir. Why? As far as i see no one stands to gain anything from it. Do i stop it or let it happen?

Two Questions:

1)
I am earl, independent and at war. I want to set my leaders of my troops. But i can´t. Why? I remember, last game it works for me.. but i was a king. Only kings can do this?

You need a level of crown authority to do that. As you are an earl, your crown authority is determined by your de jure kingdom. You will have to wait for someone to become king and set crown authority to "low" or higher in order to change the leaders of your armies.

The rationale here being that whenever the nobles are free to do so, they'll let custom, personal pride and rivalry be a factor in who leads which part of the army. At higher crown authority you will be able to appoint commanders for the good of the realm