• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it possible to depose the Pope and not replace him? I.E. Can you hold Rome as an actual territory? Maybe switch the main holding to a castle? If you do so what happens to the pope office? Can you keep an Anti-Pope at the same time? Could you let the Pope keep it but force him to be a vassal if you rebuilt Italy as a kingdom for example?

Who should I give duchies to? As the King of Scotland, I have three duchies under my control that I am free to give away. Should I give these to members of my family, like a brother, or to loyal Counts?

They'll all rebel one day. Members of your dynasty get a 5 point relation bonus, so that's not bad. You may be tempted to give one person a duchy and all the counties in it but don't. You want your vassals as weak as possible individually. The downside to giving all your duchies (you can keep 2 for yourself with no penalty btw) to family is that they're all allies forever and if one rebels he may call the others against you.

If you're Scotland you should take Albany and Moray for yourself and work on getting all 8 of those counties to be yours. Just make sure you keep educating your heirs to be midas touched or fortune builders and marry them up to wives with high stewardship so you can handle having a big demesne.

---------------

A few pages back I asked about the formula for how much tax you get from your mayors and got no response so how about just this: Does the opinion of your mayor matter, in terms of taxes paid, once it's over 0? I tried to check by looking in Dublin. I have 3 cities there. When I mouse over two of them they both say 28.6 tax. I then went into my vassal list to see what the mayors were paying and the one with the lower opinion of me is paying more tax. So, I have no idea what those 28.6s mean because clearly those to cities are not giving the same tax because if they were the two mayors would be giving me the same or the one with higher opinion would be giving me more, not what I'm seeing here.

How long will rebels just sit an occupy a county? I see a neighboring county occupied by rebels but I would have thought that eventually it would break free, though that doesn't seem to be happening.

A few pages back I asked about the formula for how much tax you get from your mayors and got no response so how about just this: Does the opinion of your mayor matter, in terms of taxes paid, once it's over 0? I tried to check by looking in Dublin. I have 3 cities there. When I mouse over two of them they both say 28.6 tax. I then went into my vassal list to see what the mayors were paying and the one with the lower opinion of me is paying more tax. So, I have no idea what those 28.6s mean because clearly those to cities are not giving the same tax because if they were the two mayors would be giving me the same or the one with higher opinion would be giving me more, not what I'm seeing here.

I believe that anything opinion of a mayor over 0 gives you full taxes. As far as why you are seeing different tax numbers you might want to actually click on the holding. On the screen that comes up if you hover over the tax value you will see the base tax and then the modifiers increasing it. It's possible that the 28.6s you see are just the base tax or something; I don't know offhand if the main county screen shows the final tax amount. Your % is calculated from the modified amount due to city improvements, etc. That's the only reason that I can of as to why you would be seeing the mayors giving different amounts.

How likely are traits like genius to be inherited? I swear ive never had a genius kid born from a genius mother.

I actively try to get genius or quick spouses for my heirs if they're aren't good claims to marry in to and I've never once had either of them pass. I have had hunchback pass like crazy though....

I actively try to get genius or quick spouses for my heirs if they're aren't good claims to marry in to and I've never once had either of them pass. I have had hunchback pass like crazy though....

Same here, the bad traits seem to be almost guaranteed to pas on while the good ones never do. Also the one time Ive married a cousin my kids got the inbreed trait.

Question, my king is 42 and without heirs. The next in line is his half brother. Will that end the game?

If he has the little drop of blood symbol that means he's part of your dynasty then no. As long as your heir is in the same dynasty even if he's your third cousin twice removed, the game will continue after you die.

Playing Habsburg, the Kaiser granted me Mecklenburg. However we both hold the title and when I click on Mecklenburg the Kaiser's portrait is in the interface. How's that possible?

ck22012-02-2603-43-03-36.jpg

ck22012-02-2603-42-52-13.jpg

Same here, the bad traits seem to be almost guaranteed to pas on while the good ones never do. Also the one time Ive married a cousin my kids got the inbreed trait.

Question, my king is 42 and without heirs. The next in line is his half brother. Will that end the game?

In addition to what jpr123 said 42 is nothing for a dude. Women are hard coded to stop bearing children at 45 but males can keep going into their 90s....so just find some hot young lass with the lustful or hedonist trade and you'll be surrounded by kids in no time :p

In addition to what jpr123 said 42 is nothing for a dude. Women are hard coded to stop bearing children at 45 but males can keep going into their 90s....so just find some hot young lass with the lustful or hedonist trade and you'll be surrounded by kids in no time :p

Dude has -5% fertility from his education (plus crappy stats) and killing the wife is risky right now. His half brother heir on the other hand hand has better stats, is only 22 and has an awesome wife with the strong trait + midis touched. I figure I keep things the way they are and let the half-brother inherit. If my king dies with a 1 year old heir it will cause problems for me.

What are the (dis)advantages of granting a landed title to a bishop instead of a nobleman?

A lot of them aren't interested in marriage, which is an easy way of getting a +20 relations boost with a vassal.

What are the (dis)advantages of granting a landed title to a bishop instead of a nobleman?

You gain piety (100 piety per county) and you get more tax income (as long as they like you more than the pope - if not then 100% of the tax is paid to the pope instead), they don't get negative relations modifiers for high crown authority and they can't inherit land or be inherited by foreign countries - so if your really anal about wanting tidy duchies this can be an advantage. The disadvantages are a permanent -30 relations modifier and far less troops.

I go some little questions.. please help

1)
I play with "Burgos/Spain" and wonder how to get heavy cavalry and how to get mounted archers? What do i have to research or built to get these units?

2)
There are Maltese knights and crusaders to call. But i can not call Maltese knights. Game says, that i already have a contract with this earl if i click the button for recruitment Maltese knights. What does this mean? I did not find any things that i have to do with this earl?

3)
Now i can choose a plot. For example to kill my wife. People of my realm can support me for this plot. There are green hands at the portraits of these people. Often, there are not enough supporters in my realm. What are the conditions for this green hands and the assistance? How can i get more supporters for plots?

4)
One thing i wonder is, what is the benefit from a marriage of one of my courtiers? For example i marry my mayor. The only thing i get is that perhaps he will get more happy if he wanted to marry. Does the skill points and characteristics of my mayers wife give me any advantages?

5)
An other question is, why should i instruct my nephew etc? What are the benefits for me if my nephews got good skills?

6)
Now an important question. If i go to war and later disband my troops because i didn´t need them any more, there is still shown the advice at the top of the screen, that my vassals troops are already too long called up and fighting for me. This declined the opinion. But i didn´t understand why this message are shown, years after i disbanded these troops? Can you explain?

thx for your help