• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've not had an anti Pope so this is an observation of game mechanics and Bishops.

A Bishop will pay the Pope taxes when they like the Pope more than their liege. So the Pope that receives the taxes must be in the same way. So how that works is usually based on the standard reasons to like or dislike a ruler. Whichever Pope is preferred gets the taxes if they are more popular than the direct liege lord.

Is there anyway I can kill my current ruler so that the heir can succeed? Or better, I way to make him step down and abdicate the throne. I have a great heir that I'd love to get on the throne, but my current ruler is still rather young, meaning by the time he's dead the good heir won't be able to reign for very long.
I assume this has been asked before, I can't seem to find it via the search bar.

It might be idiotball vassals with events. Also, check if Franks are running Occitain counties and vice versa, since that also gives a 1% RR, and just sheer bad luck. Check the counties that are revolting and hover over their RR. There should be a delayed tooltip that explains what the hell's going on.

Thanks ill check that out when i fire up my game.

You could send an assassin somewhere they will be unlikely to succeed and will be easily discovered the wait for the retailiation.

Or use the consol and cheat Kill <char-id> by that I mean type kill x with x being the actual number. First thing on the screen in the save file.

My income is unstable because of gold from anti-pope is half of my income. So whats affecting income from anti-pope's?

The more your anti-pope appeals to the bishops, and the less the real pope does, the more money you'll make. Make sure you have an anti-pope with lots of virtuous (green) traits, and if the real pope is a little too "good" you can always arrange a little "accident" and hope is successor is worse.

i was trying to get my second son land and a duke title before his betrothal is fulfilled. But the future wife came of age just days before i was finished and sent the message of marriage to, i ignored it and after a week i gave him the titles needed to him to stay in my kingdom. I thought that they would make that marriage between them but years later i noticed that they havent, still in betrothal and i couldnt do anything about it. And so ended my try to get a duchy from a another kindgom. Is there a reason why they didnt get married by themselves ?

Is there a way to change a county's capital? I would like to make a number of bishoprics or city states, but pretty much all my holdings have a barony as the capita, and I don't want to put a vassal bishop or mayor in the position of having the "wrong holding type" penalty.

If you give the current owner of the city control of the county the capital should change to the city.

i was trying to get my second son land and a duke title before his betrothal is fulfilled. But the future wife came of age just days before i was finished and sent the message of marriage to, i ignored it and after a week i gave him the titles needed to him to stay in my kingdom. I thought that they would make that marriage between them but years later i noticed that they havent, still in betrothal and i couldnt do anything about it. And so ended my try to get a duchy from a another kindgom. Is there a reason why they didnt get married by themselves ?

Hmm very strange. Normally i do the exact same thing as you and it works.

If I build a new city/castle/bishopric in a county owned by one of my vassals, who owns it? Me or him? I'd rather not spend two game years finding out :)

Most likely your son "desired a better alliance" and rejected the marriage. Once he has his own court, he makes the decision.

2 smallish questions if you please...

1) Demesne: Concentrate or expand? Should I work toward building new castles in currently held land to reduce my number of counties or should I instead expand the number of counties?

I see advantages to both:

Concentrate: Allow better more efficient use of your council (Train troops and raise taxes comes to mind). On the negative it allow more count and possibly more dukes meaning more possible trouble.

Expand is pretty much the opposite. I currently have 9 titles.

2) Religion. Is there an hidden penalty to having a capital that's wrong religion/culture? I'm playing a game as Castile and all is well honestly, except I moved my capital to Toledo a while ago for many reasons, higher techs and more defensible (at the time). Problem is that while it switched culturally a while ago, it's been over 100 years now that it been conquered and it's still Sunni, in fact it's only one of 4 provinces I hold (and I hold 80% of Iberia) that is still Sunni, the rest are in Grenada and around.

Case of bad luck or is there something I'm missing?

@alexender00 - regarding focus vs. spread

I tried both, and now am switching from concentrated to spread - I was kinda forced to focused approach early in the game (Gavelkind and uber-horny ruler with 9 sons anyone?), and it seemed like a good idea, but I didn't concider few things:

Cities - they give huge income (and I don't even have max tax), which again proves to be the key to power.

Tech - At some point in my game I just stopped using steward and marshall for troops/income, and instead switched to tech improvements - it is much more efficient when you have bigger demesne (tech spreads much faster, and each province it spreads to hastens it in others - this gives more developed kingdom as a whole instead of uber 30/30/30 province surrounded by 13/13/13 ones). It also speeds up your vassals advancing. I know most prefer to keep their vassals as weak as possible, but I just feel different about that one ^^ (as in: I am against tipping the balance to the point, where vassals are so weak I stop benefiting from them).

Vassals - more counties in your hands = less counties in vassals hands = you are in better position overall. We are limited to 2 duchies, but who said you should create them? (this is especially true in baltics area: playing as fx. poland? Forget duchy of Pomeralia... Hold all the counties yourself, never create anything and forget the penalties).

Note - once going for spread, focus on coastal provinces - them cities are much much better with ports ;).

What determines if a title leaves my realm on inheritance or not? Is it the primary title before inheritance, the primary title directly after inheritance, or can changing your primary title later trigger it?

For example, one of my countesses is married to a foreign count (normal marriage). They have a son. Neither my Kingdom or the foreign Kingdom have high crown authority. As I see it, the two main possibilities are:
  1. The Count dies before the Countess. Their son now becomes a foreign count. When his mother dies, her county leaves my realm.
  2. The Countess dies before the Count. Their son now becomes my vassal. When his father dies, his county is added to my realm.

But what if:

3. The Countess dies before the Count. Their son now becomes my vassal. When his father dies, he inherits his county and later makes it his primary title.
  4. The Countess dies before the Count. Their son now becomes my vassal. His father becomes a Duke. When his father dies he inherits his duchy and it automatically becomes his primary title.
Would either 3 or 4 make the county leave my realm, or is their son stuck as my vassal, if he was such at the time his father dies?

Last edited:
My chancellor just gave me the option to claim a duchy, but since I don't want the duchy and only the county he stands on, will he still be able to make a county-claim later even if he is skilled enough the claim its duchy?

The duchy claim gives you claims on the county as well.

I am a king with a large realm. I can only hold two duchies and 10 counties directly. I want to maximize my income. So I'll try to control the *best* 10 counties (same culture, multiple holdings, etc.). But for my 2 duchies, what should I keep? The two largest (minus what I hold directly)? Or do I want to hold on to the duchies where my personal counties are?