• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
About taxes - If I give a county to someone making them a count, do they get the income from the city and bishopric within? And if they do, is that tax added to their total income, and then my cut taken based on my feudal tax %? Or do they remain separate and I get taxes from the city and bishopric? Because right now, it says I make like 20 gold from a city and bishopric, but if I make a count for the county, he only pays me like 10 gold.
Taxes are paid to the direct liege. If you give the county to a noble, the cities and other baronies he's now the direct liege of will pay their taxes to him. It's added to his income and he pays a part of it on to you, but only the feudal tax part (ie: you get between 0% and 25% of it).

My wife is queen of Croatia, and I want it passed to our son, but a duke of hers plotted for seniority succession and is winning his war. I have no option to offer to join the war. I successfully plotted the duke's death, but his son and co-conspirator count are still carrying on the war. Is there any way I can help maintain the status quo?

I could be wrong..but I think your son will get a claim on Croatia. Just wait for that and take the Kingdom then.

I think his son would get a claim that could be pressed when the queen dies. After she loses her crown she should get the inheritable claim for Croatia. So like 99 percent sure what xGhost said is true.

Ah, okay, thanks! After all this Muslim bashing, you'd think my peaceful expansion might go smoothly, but no XD I've also had to involve myself in several wars to take my mother's kingdom of Georgia, but thankfully all of those have allowed me to intervene.

thanks for all your help on the last page with the doge of munster question. to be honest, a decent part of why i wanted it to be a dukedom was that it bugged me seeing an italian word attached to an irish name - i understand the need to simplify titles, but i'd like to not stare at an inconsistency like that and have it take me out of the game if possible.

another question: what is the best way to expand as a medium/small sized kingdom such as ireland? i had a nice claim on galloway, a duchy in western scotland, and i took it while scotland endured a half century of civil war. however, the ruling dynasty stabilized things, centralized royal authority and took back their land with a vengeance - i had never seen a 12k army doomstack outside of the middle east before in my two weeks of owning this game and let's just say i couldn't quite handle it. that turned me off conquest for a bit, but i may be ready to try again.

i was thinking of trying to go against a still-divided wales next, but i'm curious as to what others suggest. i'm the heir to a county in northern scotland and a county in england, but don't really know the ins and outs of dynastic expansion yet, so i'm not totally clear on how best to capitalize on either of those. anyway, any advice would be appreciated!

If you are a king, is there any way to change the succession laws of your vassal dukes? I'm trying to prevent multi-dukes from forming via inter-marriage, but at least two duchies have succession by elective and end up electing a female heir who is married to another male duke, uniting their (already quite large) holdings.

In my experience when they are elective they may get big but will eventually break up as their vassal Counts will get pissy and revolt or just simply elect one of their own to the duchy and therefore break things up. I used to worry about big powerful Dukes but anymore I just let them get big and powerful and watch as other peoples greed eats them away. Its kind of entertaining sitting back as king and watching the power struggles between rivals play out.

But then again there is that off chance that the powerful Duke comes after you, so best to just keep a good spymaster on hand and lots and lots of money that way if he gets too troublesome you can either put him in his coffin, buy his loyalty, or imprison him for no reason and use your money to negate the tyranny hit. Or you could just let him revolt sit back and kill his army imprison him for rebellion and revoke/banish whichever you choose.

Other than that I'm not sure what other ways there are, thats just the strategy I go buy. And since all my powerful dukes are dynasty members anyway, really never care a whole lot about what they do :p

Is it generally economically worthwhile to build new baronies/cities/etc in one's own provinces, or is it generally more effective to just expand? It seems like the 700 gold required is absolutely exorbitant relative to the benefit provided, but maybe I'm wrong.

How can I tell who gets the claim I press? Will I get it, the person I pressed it for get it, or a third party get it?

When you are going to declare war pressing the claim of person 'X', after you win the war, the lands of that claim will belong to 'X', not to you. Your relations will be boosted, but after all, you won't get anything from that, unless you're pressing the claim of your heir, your wife/husband, etc, since after some time, that land will belong to a future character of yours ;)

I think you could do a gamey thing if you are pressing the claim of a title of a lower level than your own title (example: you are king and press the claim on a duchy or county for person 'X'). Then, you could grant a temple holding to that person 'X' if he has no title yet nor wife and/or children, so he becomes your vassal and once he becomes duke or count of the claim that you pressed for him, you should be his heir in principle, so those lands would end in your pocket after all. But I haven't done this, so I'm not very sure if you would inherit this way or if a new bishop character would be elected for that...

Is it generally economically worthwhile to build new baronies/cities/etc in one's own provinces, or is it generally more effective to just expand? It seems like the 700 gold required is absolutely exorbitant relative to the benefit provided, but maybe I'm wrong.

I only start building new holdings when I have plenty of money (several thousands of gold at least) and I know that my economic balance is going to be positive. In general terms, that only happens when I expand enough so I don't need mercenaries and such anymore, since they are the only reason for me to lose money.

In my humble opinion, it's better to start expanding first for that reason. If you are going to build a new holding, try to build it first in your own counties, of course.

Is it generally economically worthwhile to build new baronies/cities/etc in one's own provinces, or is it generally more effective to just expand?
Once you hit, oh, say 20 or 30 gold/month, you often can't expand in time to spend all your money. So then, building new baronies in your demesne makes sense. Just don't do it before.

If I recall correctly, high crown authority only stops people attacking each other within the de jure kingdom with that crown authority. They can still attack across kingdom boundaries (even if the same king owns both titles), and within a kingdom can still end up at war due to a plot.

edit - Just had a second possibility, the capital of the vassal determines which crown law applies to that vassal. Did you conquer land in another de jure kingdom with a lower crown authority, say France or Toulouse by chance? Vassals based outside your de jure lands follow the de jure laws where their primary holding is based, not the laws of the liege's (your) primary holding.

Last edited:
My high crown authority don't prevent my vassals to wage war against muslims.. Bug ?
Only if the Muslims are your vassals. It's absolute that stops your vassals declaring war on rulers outside your realm; medium and high just stop them doing so within your realm (except by plot or rebellion).