• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Here's my problem:

I'm playing as Leon. I revoke, for example, the Dutchy of Galacia after an unsuccessful rebellion; the rebel sits in my prison. I want to give that Dutchy to another noble. However, I can ONLY give it to a noble who is a count with land in that de jure Dutchy, in this case Galacia. The game will not allow me to give it to anyone else unless they have a county in Galacia.

Why can I not give it to whomever I want?

Ok, I've been playing the game heavily for like 3 or 4 days already, read a lot of posts, etc. I'm much better than before but there's still one thing that I just don't get...
It's the freaking 'incorrect holder of holding' or whatever... One of my vassals is titled 'Lord Mayor of blah blah', he has 2 land titles, both are cities, so why does he have that -20 relation penalty? (if it helps, his image looks like he has a helmet but he's not a baron of anything)
Another example. There's this county which capital is a city. I went to the 'search' and got a courtier with good stewardship, and made him count of that county. Lo and behold, his relation with me actually was lower after I gave him the title. I hovered over the number, and guess what, the -20 was there. Why???? he was a courtier! (and turned into a major or lord mayor when I assigned him)

Ok, I've been playing the game heavily for like 3 or 4 days already, read a lot of posts, etc. I'm much better than before but there's still one thing that I just don't get...
It's the freaking 'incorrect holder of holding' or whatever... One of my vassals is titled 'Lord Mayor of blah blah', he has 2 land titles, both are cities, so why does he have that -20 relation penalty? (if it helps, his image looks like he has a helmet but he's not a baron of anything)
Another example. There's this county which capital is a city. I went to the 'search' and got a courtier with good stewardship, and made him count of that county. Lo and behold, his relation with me actually was lower after I gave him the title. I hovered over the number, and guess what, the -20 was there. Why???? he was a courtier! (and turned into a major or lord mayor when I assigned him)

You're holding a city, as a feudal lord that is basically a no no. You want to hold castles and give the cities to someone else. Check your holdings to see if any of the cities/churches are held by you directly, if you are right click and 'create a vassal' there. Should get rid of that.

if I don't click it, my demense still goes down? If I'm not giving holdings how is my demense lowing?

If you give a county, you also give one holding obviously. But say you control 2 holdings in the county, you will lose only one if you don't click instead of losing both.

How does one correct title loss on succession?

I have an hier and he has his heir but my legitimized bastard son apparently will get like half my titles on succession?

Guess that's what I get for making his life glorious...

Change laws, kill him or attack him when you inherit (you will have claims)

Hello All,
I'm new to this game, but I've played 50 or so hours of Victoria II and really liked that game, so I bought this one as soon as it came out. I finally got a chance to sit down this weekend and play around with it. I played as William the Conquer, and just just wrestled England into my control in April 1071 and that is where I am currently. But now having taken England I have 37/8 Demesne size, I need to understand better on how to get this under control before I move forward. I'm guessing I need to give out titles or something of the like, but I hope at least there is some way for me to bring it under control. I looked hard for an answer on this but didn't see one so forgive me if I'm a repeat question. Peace be with you!

Change laws, kill him or attack him when you inherit (you will have claims)

I just assassinated him. No need for him really since my sons son is almost of age as well. As far as for alliances and such, well, I have plenty of girls for that ;) Managed to marry the princess of the HRE, she puts out something fierce for being chaste. On top of that my son and my sons wife were trying to kill that bastard son of mine constantly. So much hassle for a night of fun with my vassals spymasters wife ><

Thanks for answering my questions though, I didn't know you could change the laws, I'll take a look at those next time I log in. My game is going swimmingly thanks to you guys. I started as Duke of lancaster (my IRL lineage is from leicester). Managed to just build up economy and wait for a mass independence bid on england. Once I was half of englands forces I wared for independence and got it. So now I just sit back, pop out babies, and take the 1-2 county sized realms around me one by one.

Yep just goto the child and goto the diplomacy page, select educate child and pick whomever you want

I thought I tried that but I will again. Thanks.

Next question, what is the story with plot power? It is shown as a percentage, so I assume a plot power of 200% is guaranteed to succeed?

I thought I tried that but I will again. Thanks.

Next question, what is the story with plot power? It is shown as a percentage, so I assume a plot power of 200% is guaranteed to succeed?

I believe 100% is guaranteed success. Simply pick the plot and then look at the list of people you can invite by clicking the +. You can invite people with the green mark to show they are interested. I"m assuming the more people you invite the bigger chance of being discovered by spymasters so I would think it would be prudent to pick the people who add the most to the plot until it's at 100% then fire it off.

Keep in mind that you get a -15 penalty for removing a ward from a guardian.

If you give a county, you also give one holding obviously. But say you control 2 holdings in the county, you will lose only one if you don't click instead of losing both.

Gauge just to elaborate demesne size includes county seats as well as holdings in the county. So for example county with a church a town and a castle in it would add 4 to your demesne (1 for the seat (in the top right) and 3 for the other 3 buildings in the other boxes). I believe there is a max of 5 boxes in a city (such as palermo) meaning a fully developed county could potentially give you 6.

Hopefully that made the issue more instead of less clear.

TLDR

Demesne = 1 per county + 1 per holding in that county

I.E. if you are Duke Murchad in Ireland and you fire everyone and hold all titles yourself then you would be at 5/7 (2 counties + 3 subholdings). I'm not sure what happens when you have a situation where you're a count and you create a duchy in territory that you already own. I assume that the county that you create it in (or one of them anyway) will be replaced by a ducal seat instead of your domain size going up by 1

So the wards HAVE to be your legit son or daughter? No bastards? Is it heir only? The result always says (will result in a -15 for Person X and a +20 with person Y) but i don't seem to get the +20.

This might be stating the obvious, but are you checking after they actually accept taking on the child as a guardian? I usually will see the liege of the tutor show an education bonus or something like that at that point.

This might be stating the obvious, but are you checking after they actually accept taking on the child as a guardian? I usually will see the liege of the tutor show an education bonus or something like that at that point.

ward.jpg

vassalopinion.jpg

Iam playing with denmark and cant declare war on lübeck, i have all what i need to do it it (reaosn, they are independent ect , all green marked) but the game say it need to raise Conscripts, which i surely did?
Anyone got an idea what the problem could be and how do i solve it?

Iam playing with denmark and cant declare war on lübeck, i have all what i need to do it it (reaosn, they are independent ect , all green marked) but the game say it need to raise Conscripts, which i surely did?
Anyone got an idea what the problem could be and how do i solve it?

Sounds to me like you may be misreading the tool tip. I apologize if that is not the case but I believe you raised them before you declared war and you cannot have any troops active before you declare war.

I started as duke of Munster, and expanded to have 7/13 of the irish counties and created the title King of Ireland.
I seem not to have claim to any of the rest of the county/duchy titles, should I? (as de jure liege of those duchies)
For comparison, at start of the game I remember having casus belli for the southern county of duchy in Munster, in basis of being de-jure duke of the county.
i.e. how can I conquer the rest of the island? (do I just have to manufacture claims & invite claimants to my court?)