+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Possible) Issue with Pontifical Election Mechanism

Crusader Kings IICK2: Holy Knight

Unhappy (Possible) Issue with Pontifical Election Mechanism

Greetings

During the last games I made (with both demo and vanilla versions), I noticed a strange comportment about pontifical election. Indeed the new elected Pope was each times a random young man and not a experienced cleric (chosen from other courts).

If I remember correctly, in CK1, the new pope was elected regarding his piety. But in CK2, it seems no more to be the case.

I find this particulary illogical considering the period (the Election Reform was created by Nicolas II in 1059 and the Gregorian Reform is coming soon). Moreover, the original database contains characters which are really more accurate to be righteously elected (for example, Hildebrand, the actual successor of Alexander II).

I don't know if it's a problem with the new mechanism, but the result is clearly irrelevant, and player lose (in my humble opinion) a good deal of consistency of the role of the pope in the game.

Does anybody experienced the same issue? I know that's not really a bug, but if somebody have any idea to correct this point, I would be grateful...

Regards,

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsPenumbra - Black Plague
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldThe Showdown EffectWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    I think that the church and the papal state will be expanded with DLCs or an expansion, most likely, especially when it comes to papal election.

Besides, the Pope should balance the power of the Holy Roman Emperor: that's what he did, historically, for the first two centuries from the starting date. None of that can be found in the game.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Galaahd View Post
    I think that the church and the papal state will be expanded with DLCs or an expansion, most likely, especially when it comes to papal election.

Besides, the Pope should balance the power of the Holy Roman Emperor: that's what he did, historically, for the first two centuries from the starting date. None of that can be found in the game.
    Definetely! Papal elections (and also Patriarchal ones) should be extended in the future. I would suggest the creation of the "Cardinal" trait which will be awarded to Bishops and clergymen with the highest piety thus making them eligible for the Papal throne. Also we could have some nice chain events such as the King/Duke pressing the Pope to award the Cardinalate to his favourite Bishop/clergyman or even a family member. Or Rulers trying to push for their own candidate to the Papal/Patriarchal throne etc.
    I always wanted to find a way to promote family members to the Papal/Patriarchal throne but there isnt any possible way except of creating an Antipope and invade the Papal states (and thats only for Catholics... Havent found yet a way for promoting my kinsmen to the Patriarchal throne)

Crusader Kings IICK2: Holy Knight

Greetings,

The implementation of the College of Cardinals could effectively be a nice complement to this new version. Maybe based on the honorific title, it shouldn't be to difficult for the developpers to create this feature in a future patch...

But at this time, I'm still a little disapointed to not understand the new mechanism for Pontifical Election and the strange uselessness of piety or experience for the new ruler of the Holy See...

Regards,

+ Reply to Thread