• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to go and check our drafts on our saves as well.

I'm guessing this is related to your grand murder mystery? :p I think with your Abyssinia game, THAT would kick rear-end. 'Cause if you arrest a guy, you don't know if you REALLY got the right guy or not. It's all a mystery because the game just stays "Died in a suspicious accident."

I've had a few times in a game where I've fudged a date on something like "War declared" because I forget why (instead of because two simultaneous wars declared are more exciting than one at a time.) I'd ESPECIALLY like a 'war ended/most important battle' like that.

Sure, perhaps the Duke being his trusted vassal or murder of his father would be outside of the game mechanics, but you could draw an AAR out of

Became (chief title) on [Date] due to [succession/pressed claim/changed primary title/granted by/revolution].
During his reign, he fought against [Y] in the War of [Z] which lasted from [Date] to [Date] which [he won/he lost/ended inconclusively]
He changed the succession laws from [A] to and changed crown authority from [C] to [D]
He died on [Date] due to [Cause of Death] his personal demesne was [Titles]

Ideally I could see that for a history of a title, too. So instead of dying, it would read that for a County, not just a Count.

I doubt it would be too hard, but obviously, I've been wrong before. It strikes me as something that would work basically the same as the EU history generator.

Keeping it to provinces would also ease up on the computer rather than having all of that going on for every character at once.

I'd also like a few more causes of death. A 65 year old might die of 'Natural Causes' but my 8 year old probably would have been in an accident, or had something else go horribly wrong.

If I'm playing a game and my 8 year old son has died from "Natural Causes" I end up with "Of what nature?"

This would be cool.

I'd also like a few more causes of death. A 65 year old might die of 'Natural Causes' but my 8 year old probably would have been in an accident, or had something else go horribly wrong.

If I'm playing a game and my 8 year old son has died from "Natural Causes" I end up with "Of what nature?"

Yes, more causes of death would be wonderful. What does "Natural Causes" really mean? Old age? But since people of all ages get afflicted with this cause of death, it can't only be old age. A heart attack? Heart disease was a lot more common in the Middle Ages than I thought.

I would love to see all Natural Causes spelled out, with some normal and some very unusual ways to die. It's more satisfying to hear that your ruler died being thrown from a horse than he died of natural causes.

And yes--this all would help my Abyssinian AAR turned murder mystery. :) Thanks for reading it!

I love a good murder mystery, and I like what you're doing with what is probably unrelated events.

And yeah, the Old Age thing would become gradually more likely over time. But it probably shouldn't happen before hte portrait gets 'old'

I love a good murder mystery, and I like what you're doing with what is probably unrelated events.

And yeah, the Old Age thing would become gradually more likely over time. But it probably shouldn't happen before hte portrait gets 'old'

Actually, just between us (and whoever else reads this thread :) ) they really are related events. But I certainly would not have put it past me to force together unrelated events, either, if it makes it more fun.

Your secret is safe with me, and the rest of the Crusader Kings forum!

It's safe with me...for a price.

Actually, just between us (and whoever else reads this thread :) ) they really are related events. But I certainly would not have put it past me to force together unrelated events, either, if it makes it more fun.

So long as we find out soon, in your case. Well, as soon as you choose to reveal it, I'm enjoying the mystery!

But for others, I'd really like an option of lifting the "fog of death", or at least store information somewhere. There is so much which the game knows, but which I do not believe we could find out. Even if we could load and reload to discover things, this only works if the plotters were rulers! In most cases nearly all the information is irretrievable.

So long as we find out soon, in your case. Well, as soon as you choose to reveal it, I'm enjoying the mystery!

Thanks, InnocentIII! Don't worry, the mystery will be solved very soon.

In addition to a secrets file log, having the normal non-secret log empty into a text file would be very useful, too. (It doesn't already do this, does it?) I'm talking about the little log at the bottom right you can open up that says things like: "4 January 1112. Mayor Ivan of Pleven died eating a poisoned Banitsa" or "15 June 1232. Rebels have rebelled in Shopshire." It would be cool if these all gathered in a text file.

In addition to a secrets file log, having the normal non-secret log empty into a text file would be very useful, too. (It doesn't already do this, does it?) I'm talking about the little log at the bottom right you can open up that says things like: "4 January 1112. Mayor Ivan of Pleven died eating a poisoned Banitsa" or "15 June 1232. Rebels have rebelled in Shopshire." It would be cool if these all gathered in a text file.

There is, sort of.

In C:\Users\....\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\logs

There is game.txt

The problem is that there are no dates.

Here is part of mine:

[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YDrogo de Brevere§! wants to Become Court Chaplain.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YDuke Gottfried III§! now favors §YDuke Ordulf I§! as the heir to the §YHoly Roman Empire§!.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YDuke Berthold I§! now favors §Yhimself§! as the heir to the §YHoly Roman Empire§!.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: The lords of §YLeon§! have approved the institution of the §YMedium Crown Authority§! Law.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YIhala Virtanen§! wants to Amass Wealth.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YHarald Yngling§! wants to Become Paragon of Virtue.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YHarald Yngling§! has become Duke of Vestlandet.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YKing Harald Hårdråde§! has created the title Duchy of Vestlandet.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YDiarmait Ua Cheinnselaig§! wants to Get Married.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YCount Robert§! now favors §YStefen§! as the heir to the §YBishopric of Evron§!.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YPrince Magnus§! now favors §YPrince Olaf§! as the heir to the §YKingdom of Norway§!.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YKing Stenkil I§! now favors §YPrince Halsten§! as the heir to the §YKingdom of Sweden§!.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: The lords of §YNubia§! have approved the institution of the §YLimited Crown Authority§! Law.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YDuke Murchad I of Munster§W made §YLord Mayor Ragnvald of Ormond§W §YMaster of the Horse§W
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YCount Faste of Dal§W agreed to become a vassal of §YKing Stenkil I of Sweden§W
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: The lords of §YThe Sunni Caliphate§! have approved the institution of the §YLimited Crown Authority§! Law.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YEmir Rashid I ud-Dawlah Mahmud of Aleppo§W made §YSheikh Abdul-Fattah of Aintab§W §YMaster of the Horse§W
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YKabuksin Golovin§! wants to Amass Wealth.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YHeinrich Salian§! wants to Become Exalted among Men.
[messagehandler.cpp:541]: §YErik Puke§! wants to Get Married.

There is, sort of. [...]

Hey, thanks! I had checked the message log, but not the game one. You're right that the usefulness is a bit less because of the lack of dates, though. But it is nice to know. I suppose if someone were motivated to do so, they could open it up and manually enter the year every so often, to have approximate dates.

I love the idea of the OP, really do.
I'd like to add a little addition myself, not related to the OP, but to the topic of deaths in general.

An interesting idea would be to give the option of what kind of assassination. For example, street ambush, trusty ol' knife in the back, poison, etc.
Each option has a different success and chance of getting caught. So a street ambush would be higher success, high chance of getting caught. The other extreme would be poison, lower success rate, but lower chance of getting caught.
Now the beauty lies in the fact that even if the attacker isn't caught, you'd have an idea if he was assassinated or not. A knife in the back isn't just "suspicious", it's a cold hard fact. Poison, on the other hand, could imitate a naturally occurred death.

I am for the idea too, would pay for it. Have you seen "Legends" mode in Dwarf Fortress? It basically tracks all the more important characters from birth to death, it records shifts of territories, all important artifactsare there too, simply a grand, detailed chronicle written by an omniscient scholar. And it's wonderful too - players spend a lot of time browsing through it.

I am for the idea too, would pay for it. Have you seen "Legends" mode in Dwarf Fortress? It basically tracks all the more important characters from birth to death, it records shifts of territories, all important artifactsare there too, simply a grand, detailed chronicle written by an omniscient scholar. And it's wonderful too - players spend a lot of time browsing through it.

Thanks for the heads up on Dwarf Fortress. Just checked it out. Seems pretty impressive.

Thanks for the heads up on Dwarf Fortress. Just checked it out. Seems pretty impressive.
It gets less impressive when one of your dwarves creates an artifact sock :)

I would like something like this for my own line, and if not the entire line, then at least the direct ancestors/descendants of the current ruler/player. But more than the convenience/coolness of this, I want access to information the game has and I cannot get at, some of which is in there, some of which is beyond even what you describe.

FYI here's Johan's response from the reddit:

"[–]InnocentIII - In CK2, I'd love to see a way to see who killed my king/heir, who was in the conspiracy. I'm thinking mostly for AAR purposes, but sometimes it just drives me crazy wondering. I would not mind waiting til the end of the game, but the information is not accessible currently, I believe.

Any chance of seeing something like this, allowing us to lift the Fog of Death?

[–]Paradox_Dev_Studio 10 minutes ago

No plans for that right now.. Just doesnt feel right.

[–]InnocentIII 4 minutes ago

Darn. Thanks though."

Brilliant ideas. Espesciall this part:

Became (chief title) on [Date] due to [succession/pressed claim/changed primary title/granted by/revolution].
During his reign, he fought against [Y] in the War of [Z] which lasted from [Date] to [Date] which [he won/he lost/ended inconclusively]
He changed the succession laws from [A] to and changed crown authority from [C] to [D]

That wouldnt be hard to do really. Its all there in the save files but it would be putting it together that would be the hard bit.

Brilliant ideas. Espesciall this part:

That wouldnt be hard to do really. Its all there in the save files but it would be putting it together that would be the hard bit.

Yeah, similar to EU3 but with an emphasis on personal activities and demise. BTW, as it is there may well be bugs or errors which we'll never spot because so much information is permanently hidden. Imagine if all the Tournament events had their cause hidden, we might never have realized that many of them were products of a Tournament which happened decades earlier.