• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

InnocentIII

Ask how many Divisions I have!
116 Badges
Apr 22, 2001
Visit site
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • East India Company
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
When the game is over I want to know things that the game can't tell me while it's going on. I want a "Secret History" file detailing who tried to kill me, who did kill me, who was in on it, etc. I've had heirs killed and the announcement was that the death was suspicious and the next son in line was subject to immediate arrest (damned fine police work!). Was it a plot? Who else was in on it? I've had selfs who were cut down in the prime of life with the message "seems suspicious" but nobody got caught. I have the same questions (I died in combat and my Marshal revolted shortly afterward). I've had many wives plotting my death, and one memorable wife (lustful, lesbian, mastermind theologian imbecile) who might have committed an apparent natural death on me (she plotted to kill others later).

So when the final Kings List rolls at the end of the game, why not have each ruler clickable with specifics as to who plotted to kill him, who killed his children/heirs, how he eventually died, who was in on the plots and maybe a few more choice bits (who slept with his wife). I think it would be a great addition to the storyline and feel of the game if you found out later that your grieving widow did you in because she'd been sleeping with your brother, or who exactly caused that suspicious death message. Yes, of course, it's exploitable mid game, but really, I don't see that as a reason to reject something which is otherwise doable and worthwhile. If I'm a cheater, I can be resuscitated with a simple restore, why not encourage me to accept death with dignity by making it more interesting?

Only the program can tell us the information I'm asking for, and only if it's stored somewhere. A little extra data only for the player's character doesn't seem out of line in terms of resources. AAR writers would appreciate this especially, as would anyone with a lusty lesbian mastermind theologian imbecile wife. More could be added, wars fought, provinces gained lost, but it's "how did I really die" that I want answered.

"YOU'RE NOT REALLY SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT."
"Yes, I am, I am a user, I payed $40 for this universe and I want to know how I died in it!"
"YOU WON'T LIKE IT."
"Then I'll stop looking."
"NO YOU WON'T. YOU'LL MEAN TO STOP, BUT YOU WON'T."
"Why are you even here? I'm just a Duke, not a King or a Wizard."
"OH, BUGGER."

Yes. I want this, I hate unknown deaths, I was almost positive my daughter murdered my son, I would just liketo know for sure, even after the game ends.

Yes. I want this, I hate unknown deaths, I was almost positive my daughter murdered my son, I would just liketo know for sure, even after the game ends.

Exactly, I'm not asking to change the game, and I swear that many deaths which appear to be normal will turn out to be a huge surprise to the player.

Hah, this would be cool, if the game keeps track of that sort of thing. Another way to do it might be to reveal all of a character's dirty secrets after they die and you "find their journal" detailing their plots and trysts... or something.

Hah, this would be cool, if the game keeps track of that sort of thing. Another way to do it might be to reveal all of a character's dirty secrets after they die and you "find their journal" detailing their plots and trysts... or something.

Given the soap-opera nature of many of the relationships, any additional information is likely to be full of surprises. I was looking to add to the player's enjoyment without altering the gameplay at all. Some alterations would still be a big net plus to the player's experience.

Given the soap-opera nature of many of the relationships, any additional information is likely to be full of surprises. I was looking to add to the player's enjoyment without altering the gameplay at all. Some alterations would still be a big net plus to the player's experience.

Soap-Opera?? Soap-Opera is not strong enough a word for some of the stuff I (and others) do, but yes an entire collection of volumes on history of my universe would really be nice. Someone once maimed my heir and I'm still curious who, he was married to a heiress and died with no children and so I had to plot to assinate my wife and marry my daughter-in-law!!

"YOU'RE NOT REALLY SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT."
"Yes, I am, I am a user, I payed $40 for this universe and I want to know how I died in it!"
"YOU WON'T LIKE IT."
"Then I'll stop looking."
"NO YOU WON'T. YOU'LL MEAN TO STOP, BUT YOU WON'T."
"Why are you even here? I'm just a Duke, not a King or a Wizard."
"OH, BUGGER."

ROFL. Love the reference here. And the idea is pretty awesome too

This is a fantastic idea. It would be so great if this data could be made available. Also if it could be made availible if I resign from the game since I do not often play thru the hundreds of years to the end, but rather to a preset goal i have. I completely support this idea.

There's a mod that tells you how a character died (accident, old age, illness, assassination, etc), but doesn't give info on any plots if it was an assassination.

They could just say how they died.
Like instead of "died on this date" could be something like "died on this date from natural causes".
Just leaves me wondering how my son could die at the age of 20.
Was he murdered or did he fall off a horse..

so a "journal" after said character dies?

this is an EXCELLENT idea.

Good idea. I second it. I remember that "causes of death" were something that was on the development list but didn't make it into the original release. I forget if it was promised for patches or not.

Good idea. I second it. I remember that "causes of death" were something that was on the development list but didn't make it into the original release. I forget if it was promised for patches or not.
The post-mortem dev diary stated that it was on the to-do list. If it doesn't show up in the next few patches I will be terribly surprised. The only drawback I can see is the intense size of savegame files. I have already accumulated over 20GB worth of saves that I have had to delete.

The post-mortem dev diary stated that it was on the to-do list. If it doesn't show up in the next few patches I will be terribly surprised. The only drawback I can see is the intense size of savegame files. I have already accumulated over 20GB worth of saves that I have had to delete.

It did sound good, but I'm not sure whether they mean just more specifics which the game already generates (natural death, combat etc) or the details I'm looking for, murderer, co-conspirator. Since I'm only looking for player/heir/maybe spouse&children I don't see it adding hugely to the savegame. We'll have to see what they can give us.

I couldn't give any references, but I think I remember a dev posting that they wanted to implement death causes in a future patch.

A note on 1.05 - it's great that we get causes of death now, especially that we can mouse over the skull. However, I still think that we should get more information on plots once the game is over. I don't think there is a way, currently, for a mod to hand out this information, that would be a great way to let some have the information if they really want it.

rather a "timeline button". with historic files about the character.

i.e. some deltais of his live: he was famous for his defence against the mongols but infamous for his cruelty. he changed the succesion law to progmiture which he pissed his children off with.
how he came to power: he came to power after the murder of his father by X, afterwrds his realm fell apart(MUCH reovlts) but he managed to consolididate his power and retun rebels to hsi rule
how he died: he was later murdered on the orders of his trusted vassel, the duke of X. the duke was backed even by some of his children.

the timeline has all your played characters and some intresting faily members(5 highest score ones save for player characters). would be neat.

OMG yes... YES! You're right that this would be extremely helpful for AAR writers.