• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Slaists

Major
35 Badges
Oct 2, 2007
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • War of the Vikings
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
So, what happens when I puppet a country? Do I get a % of their economy or they're just a prestige boost? It seems, I am able to bring China's puppets into my sphere of influence. Does it mean, puppeting has no real benefits?

Here you go, some one told me this earlier.:)
A puppet government allows you to make use of a countries military strength as your own and control their politics. This is useful for beating down secondary powers who won't submit to you with an obligatory alliance after you've pulled them into your SOE. You don't get any additional taxes, but they are drawn into pretty much every war you want unless you are battling against the owner of their SOE. ((Which is why it's important you make someone your puppet AND sphere them afterwards.))

I've seen no evidence of any ability to control a puppet's politics.

In fact, a problem I notice in my games is that when I puppet a nation, it generally just stops doing much of anything. In a German game, Denmark and later the Ottoman Empire were my puppets. From the moment that happened, they just quit playing. They would raise a few brigades when I went to war, but they built/researched nothing, not even railroads. And it seems that, with a laissez faire economic system, I actually have more ability to mess about in other foreign countries than I do my own puppets, as I can't build railroads in my puppets.

I don't know if puppets just inherit my tech levels and economic system, but a capitalist has never tried to build a single thing in one of my puppet nations.

Magents man, how do they work!?

:D

Puppets seem to be still fairly weak mechanically, much could be improved.

I've seen no evidence of any ability to control a puppet's politics.

In fact, a problem I notice in my games is that when I puppet a nation, it generally just stops doing much of anything. In a German game, Denmark and later the Ottoman Empire were my puppets. From the moment that happened, they just quit playing. They would raise a few brigades when I went to war, but they built/researched nothing, not even railroads. And it seems that, with a laissez faire economic system, I actually have more ability to mess about in other foreign countries than I do my own puppets, as I can't build railroads in my puppets.

I don't know if puppets just inherit my tech levels and economic system, but a capitalist has never tried to build a single thing in one of my puppet nations.
As I've read somewhere, puppets cannot built any industry, so puppeting Belgium as the Netherlands will make it so Belgium never makes a new factory ever.

As I've read somewhere, puppets cannot built any industry, so puppeting Belgium as the Netherlands will make it so Belgium never makes a new factory ever.

Wait, why? That makes no sense at all.

That's my anecdotal evidence. I couldn't build anything in Denmark because even if they went through with building it, it would close down shortly after completion. The world economy seems to depend on <8 countries, no one else is interesting in industrializing.

erm...no, most certainly no.

Italy, my puppet, went from 60 industry to 90 and became a GP...WHILE being my puppet.

Magents man, how do they work!?

:D

Puppets seem to be still fairly weak mechanically, much could be improved.

+1. They fill a role in Vicky 2 that doesn't exist. Telephone cleaners, in a world without viruses.