+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Puppets? What do they do?

Puppets? What do they do?

So, what happens when I puppet a country? Do I get a % of their economy or they're just a prestige boost? It seems, I am able to bring China's puppets into my sphere of influence. Does it mean, puppeting has no real benefits?

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Here you go, some one told me this earlier.
    A puppet government allows you to make use of a countries military strength as your own and control their politics. This is useful for beating down secondary powers who won't submit to you with an obligatory alliance after you've pulled them into your SOE. You don't get any additional taxes, but they are drawn into pretty much every war you want unless you are battling against the owner of their SOE. ((Which is why it's important you make someone your puppet AND sphere them afterwards.))

I've seen no evidence of any ability to control a puppet's politics.

In fact, a problem I notice in my games is that when I puppet a nation, it generally just stops doing much of anything. In a German game, Denmark and later the Ottoman Empire were my puppets. From the moment that happened, they just quit playing. They would raise a few brigades when I went to war, but they built/researched nothing, not even railroads. And it seems that, with a laissez faire economic system, I actually have more ability to mess about in other foreign countries than I do my own puppets, as I can't build railroads in my puppets.

I don't know if puppets just inherit my tech levels and economic system, but a capitalist has never tried to build a single thing in one of my puppet nations.

Magents man, how do they work!?

Puppets seem to be still fairly weak mechanically, much could be improved.
    He who wishes to fight must first count the cost. When you engage in actual fighting, if victory is long in coming, then men's weapons will grow dull and their ardor will be dampened. If you lay siege to a town, you will exhaust your strength. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain. Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor dampened, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue... In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by CFG9000 View Post
    I've seen no evidence of any ability to control a puppet's politics.

In fact, a problem I notice in my games is that when I puppet a nation, it generally just stops doing much of anything. In a German game, Denmark and later the Ottoman Empire were my puppets. From the moment that happened, they just quit playing. They would raise a few brigades when I went to war, but they built/researched nothing, not even railroads. And it seems that, with a laissez faire economic system, I actually have more ability to mess about in other foreign countries than I do my own puppets, as I can't build railroads in my puppets.

I don't know if puppets just inherit my tech levels and economic system, but a capitalist has never tried to build a single thing in one of my puppet nations.
    As I've read somewhere, puppets cannot built any industry, so puppeting Belgium as the Netherlands will make it so Belgium never makes a new factory ever.

EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Hans View Post
    As I've read somewhere, puppets cannot built any industry, so puppeting Belgium as the Netherlands will make it so Belgium never makes a new factory ever.
    Wait, why? That makes no sense at all.
    "No matter how alone you feel, Dyranum is always there to point out how utterly terrible you are at spelling." —Shynka

Lanterfanter den Tweede Slak (primary), and Juriste Aléatoire (secondary) in Edge of Europe. Formerly Suive Opiniâtrement les Régles (retired), Officer Gun Gun (deceased), Deputy Lambin l'Escargot (deceased), Méfiezvous du Calembour (deceased), and Deputy Houdt van Kaas Hakkihäälinen (retired).
    Creator and GM of: Dark Horizons, Dark Horizons 2.0, Pure Madness, The Countries of an Alternate World, Twenty Thousand Leagues Over the Sea, Pure Madness 2: We couldn't decide on a subtitle
    Co-Creator and GM of: Kingdoms and Khanates
    Nations played in Nation Games: Guatemala/FNCA (WiR1861), Serbia (WiR1900), France (WiR1900), Terran Ascendancy(DH2), Commune of France(Kaiserreich), Basileia Rhomaion (KaK), DPRK (WiR2020), RSFSR and associates (BoP1920:TTY), Harad (LotR), Armenia (DDD), DPRK (PM2), Romania/Rhomânia! (WiR1901), DPRK (WiR2020 Mk.II)

Major
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

That's my anecdotal evidence. I couldn't build anything in Denmark because even if they went through with building it, it would close down shortly after completion. The world economy seems to depend on <8 countries, no one else is interesting in industrializing.

Crusader Kings IIDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2

erm...no, most certainly no.

Italy, my puppet, went from 60 industry to 90 and became a GP...WHILE being my puppet.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Rome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Meier View Post
    Magents man, how do they work!?

Puppets seem to be still fairly weak mechanically, much could be improved.
    +1. They fill a role in Vicky 2 that doesn't exist. Telephone cleaners, in a world without viruses.
    It isn't trolling unless you use the contradiction stick.

Quote Originally Posted by James The 1st View Post
    Here you go, some one told me this earlier.
    Hmm, I am wondering about that "... AND sphere them afterwards" bit. When I made Ecuador my puppet all sphering options were grayed out.

+ Reply to Thread