+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to play Pagan - A Mini Guide

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

How to play Pagan - A Mini Guide

So Ive seen an increase in frustration because people want to play pagan or muslim and can't. The truth is you do not need mods or cheats in order to play as pagans or muslim, but I have to warn you, it is not easy being pagan in a Christian world. The process of becoming pagan is not as hard either but might require some paitence, and converting your populace to paganism and staying on the throne is the hardest part. Ive decided to write a mini guide on how to play pagan;

1) Pick something to play.
    It is much easier playing and staying pagan If you play in eastern europe, where you have more potential pagan allies and less Christian neighbours, although the Russian dukes will provide you a challenge for survival. Now there are different types of pagans;

Romuva - generally found in Eastern Europe. As far as I understand its a somewhat classic Druidic polytheistic (more than one god) religion. I'd pick one of the Russian Dukes for this one. I personally did it with the Duke of Polotsk.
    Norse - Found in northeren Sweden and a few parts of Finland. Polytheistic religion, Thor, Odin ect. Again it is easier if you pick a Christian nation close to your pagan friends, although there are not many to choose from.
    Tengri - Found in far eastern euro-asia. No idea what its about, and I never really tried turning to this religion considering it is difficult.
    Sumoini..... - Finnish paganism.

2) Marry a courtier with the pagan religion into your court - yes they will actully do this. I found it easist to marry a pagan woman into my court, but make sure its an unimportant courtier, otherwise the High Chief (Duke) or who ever you try to take the courtier from, wont allow it.

3) Now that the courtier is in your court, he/she -WILL- educate your heir. Make sure the heir is educated at around age 6 because that is the time where they have a high chance to adopt the guardians religion.

4) Once your heir has been converted, then once your heir takes the throne you become pagan. And yes, it is dev confirmed you can play save games with them.

I have made a savegame with an example and provided screenshots of how I could become pagan. For this purpose I have taken the Russian Duke of Polotsk. He has a son that is 6 years old which is perfect. However he has a few sons who need assassinated. So I saved/reloaded until i managed to kill off the remaining heirs because they are too old to adopt the religion of a guardian.

The Duke has quite a few sons. I believe i murdred two because they were too old to adopt the religion of a guardian. I was lucky to kill the first son at the beginning of the game. So while I wait for money to replenish I need to get a guardian for my soon-to-be pagan heir. First we find a pagan court, in this case I looked at the High Chief of Lithuania and found an unimportant female character which I married into my court to another of my courtiers.

Next step I find the pagan courtier i just married in to my court, to educate my coming heir. She accepts because she is in my court. If she was in another court she would not accept, which is why it is important they are in your court.

Now I start the time again piling up gold for the assasination of my second son while the pagan is educating and converting my other son. At some point i murder him.

This makes my new heir, the pagan son. Give it a few years before he converts though. But at this point save the game because it is not always that they will convert. For me he did not convert in the first try so i reloaded and this time he converted.

Now to speed things even quicker up I got to get my current ruler killed. Sadly we cant do seppuku in this game, but what we can do is to try to assassinate some pagans. Keep assassinating and pray that they get discovered, because if you spam assassinations then they will attempt to asssassinate you likewise. And at some point this will succede like here. Now I die.

Now I am a pagan. My church is pagan.

And to prove to you, you can still play them in a savegame then you can and I got a screenie. The game will remember you started out as a Christian, so you can continue your pagan game.

WARNING:

Playing Pagan is not intended though, and you can be at risk of facing huge Christian hordes. However it serves as a nice challenge, and a pagan Europe could be cool. Hope this guide provided help on how you can become pagan
    "Slan's Special Award in Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest For The Best AAR Style"
    Crusader Kings II: How to Rule videos -ALL 13 PARTS ARE FULLY UPLOADED ENJOY-
    The Livestream Channel itself

Interessting!

Awesome, thank you!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

European Union, Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia
    Or simply start a game and save the game before unpausing. Then enter the save game file with Notepad for example, then look for the line player=yes inside the file. Remove it and add it to the character id (you can find out the ID you want to play as within history/characters folder) you want to play as and save the file. Then load up the game again, and you can start as the character you added the player=yes tag to regardles of what religion that person is.

Better guide I posted somewhere else (you dont need to marry anyone, so you can play from day 1), but requires some searching in text file:

1. Start game.
    2. Save and quit.
    3. Edit your save:
    - find your character
    - delete ' player=yes ' line
    - find character you want to play and remember his/her number ('NUMBER={' line)
    - add ' player=yes ' line
    - go to beggining of a file and change ' player=NUMBER ' to whatever your new character number is.
    4. Save changes.
    5. Start game, load save file, DO NOT click on map (changing character) and press play.
    6. Conquer catholic world.

Not easy enough? Can't help You anymore.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Pallen, you really should turn this into an AAR...
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Rome GoldSengoku

This opens up a lot of possibilities! Thank you!

I am playing Muslim using the same strategy. It is a lot of fun

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Mabye some day ^^
    "Slan's Special Award in Alexspeed's Victoria 2 AAR Contest For The Best AAR Style"
    Crusader Kings II: How to Rule videos -ALL 13 PARTS ARE FULLY UPLOADED ENJOY-
    The Livestream Channel itself

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    Mabye some day ^^
    I wait in hope.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War

Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~

As Sweden I believe that there is a pagan Duke who is related to you, and since you're an elective monarchy you can just ensure that he succeeds you.

Edit: I just checked and I guess he's only your brother in law so you can't play as him... =(

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    Tengri - Found in far eastern euro-asia. No idea what its about, and I never really tried turning to this religion considering it is difficult.
    Tengri is the mongolian religion that incorporates elements of shamanism, animism, totemism. They worship "the sky god" Tengri.
    There's foxes in the hen house,' cows out in the corn. The unions have been busted, their proud red banners torn'

Quote Originally Posted by Peuri View Post
    Or simply start a game and save the game before unpausing. Then enter the save game file with Notepad for example, then look for the line player=yes inside the file. Remove it and add it to the character id (you can find out the ID you want to play as within history/characters folder) you want to play as and save the file. Then load up the game again, and you can start as the character you added the player=yes tag to regardles of what religion that person is.
    BRAVO BRAVO such a much easier way to do it. lol Thread Winner!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultSengokuMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight

Astrology Department, Ohio State University
    Thanks everyone for all the info (and thanks to the OP for taking the time to make a detailed guide for everyone's use). This should be fun!

Weird that Finnish paganism is called "Suomenusko" (Finnish faith), because it's a neopagan movement. Also Finnish dynasty names used in game are modern surnames (17th-18th century)

I'm playing a Lithuania game now and I've ended up in several wars with Poland.

I think an even easier way to convert is to play a Christian vassal to a non-Christian liege. I just started a game as Issac of the Cumans and within three months of gametime my liege forcibly converted me to Tengriism.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    I'll do it later on in mine

By the way, seeing you murder Gleb and Roman, my two most developed characters, made me cry a bit, Pallen
    WritAAR of the Week, 5th of March, 2012
    Best Character Writer of the Week, 18th of March, 2012
    Trying to find a way to write a narrative-based AAR without it becoming tedious.

+ Reply to Thread