• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cotwell

Captain
29 Badges
Mar 27, 2011
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • March of the Eagles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
So I am finally far enough into a game (circa 1750) to have a new problem. I colonized all of North America (as Great Britain) and got a nasty event: the USA gets cores on the Eastern Seaboard, and there is the risk of a srious revolt (the event says.) I resigned, and plan to go back to the "olderautosave" tonight. There were a couple of decisions where some guy shows up and spreads the stupid idea that human beings have the right to self-government (or some such sh*t) You get the choice of tolerating him or executing him and losing ground on your innovative and free subjects sliders. I chose the former; tonight I will choose the latter. Also, will switch an NI to Bill of Rights, I think to see if that keeps the RR down. (After the stab hit, ofc ;) Will this work? Have you tried to avoid this revolution or just squashed it? I really don't want the USA to form - pain in the ass.

I don't believe any of the new world revolts are a cause for alarm. Just station a few more troops, move your national focus and "promote cultural unity" to remove the cores.

Thanks for that. The reason I was worried was because in Vicky 2, I got a communist revolt of something like 200 brigades late-game - spread all over Canada. But I was hoping I could just station troops along the seaboard and crush the revolt.

The event where nations of the new world get cores is unavoidable as far as I'm aware. It always happens in 1750, but it's not a huge deal, just like having a province which another nation has a core on (such as wales or scotland), maybe a bit higher RR but you should be able to contain any revolts easy enough.

The USA revolts are a bit of a joke in EU3 for players. It's a bit more of a problem for the AI who is pathetic at protecting overseas provinces but as a player just have troops dotted about here and there in your colonies and you'll be fine. Colonies tend to have really low revolt risk due to usually being your religion and culture so you'll do fine.

Well USA revolt was in fact, very lucky, i think that great britain could smash them easily if they would not. Actualy britain, got more, very experienced, with skilled leaders, well equiped army. Americans, got bunch of low morale peasants, armed mostly with pitchforks and some of them got guns if lucky. But they managed to win, using partisant tactics, and allying to forgein powers like france and netherlands.

In the long run it was anyway a war which UK only could lose. There is no chance of holding a large oversea territory with a growing population like the USA. In EU III it is not that hard, in real life it would be impossible.

The USA revolt was all but inevitable. The thing that makes it easy to put down in EUIII is that moving massive 100K + armies for a historically sized UK is nothing. Try playing the US start date. If you dont put a hurting on the UK quickly, their size and might will come crashing down from Canada, and any help from France or Spain is a longshot.

As for as the player, you should not worry. Even if they do revolt, you shouldhave an army and navy that will easily put down any revolt.

A while back i tried started a game on the revolution campaign, as suggested above, i was easily able to crush the AI army. My moderation actually caused me two major setbacks until i let loose the dogs of war. But i was not, iirc, able to annex or retake all of the colonies ... it was a heft BB hit and repeated wars to retake everything resulting in everyone wanting a piece of me.

In regards to the historical side of things, the war was not just a revolution but a civil war. From the extracts of just a few of the speeches made in the House of Commons, iirc there was little support for the war. As my own uni tutor puts it though, there was no benefit in fighting a fullscale war to retain the thirteen colonies (as it would cost a fortune) due to the simple fact they were no were near as profitable as the sugar islands. From an imperialist-capatlist point of view, it was a case of letting the dead horse go. Kind of came back to bite us in the ass when you look at it that way :laugh:

Well USA revolt was in fact, very lucky, i think that great britain could smash them easily if they would not. Actualy britain, got more, very experienced, with skilled leaders, well equiped army. Americans, got bunch of low morale peasants, armed mostly with pitchforks and some of them got guns if lucky. But they managed to win, using partisant tactics, and allying to forgein powers like france and netherlands.

Yes, on paper, the English had every advantage.

But their soldiers were demoralized (didn't have much interest in fighting their English-speaking cousins so far from the Isles), their generals were almost always completely incompetent (see Breed's Hill; "Gentleman" Borgoyne's leisurely march down from Canada), their weapons were actually sometimes inferior (bah, the revolutionaries didn't mostly use pitchforks), their tactics were suited to open European fields rather than hilly and heavily forested Eastern US, they had poor tactics, they alienated loyalists and neutral colonials by callous actions of the soldiers, they brought Hessian and Hannoverian mercenaries (which many colonials saw as offensive in a fight between English cousins), and the French who they had beaten up in 2 recent wars were more than happy to join with the upstart colonists (bringing along their friends Netherlands and Spain).

On the other hand, Britain had an unmatched Navy (although they failed to blockade effectively), they had the world's best trained army, more money, more population to conscript, access to Northern German mercenaries, strong support in Loyalist south, and soldiers stationed in major cities.

Don't forget Spain. Anyways yeah we'd be screwed over if it wasn't for France wanting revenge over the last defeat in the 7 years war.. Anyways all I have to say is real life is stranger than fiction.. At times.

Please continue the history discussion in the history forum. Thanks.

Yes, on paper, the English had every advantage.

But their soldiers were demoralized (didn't have much interest in fighting their English-speaking cousins so far from the Isles), their generals were almost always completely incompetent (see Breed's Hill; "Gentleman" Borgoyne's leisurely march down from Canada), their weapons were actually sometimes inferior (bah, the revolutionaries didn't mostly use pitchforks), their tactics were suited to open European fields rather than hilly and heavily forested Eastern US, they had poor tactics, they alienated loyalists and neutral colonials by callous actions of the soldiers, they brought Hessian and Hannoverian mercenaries (which many colonials saw as offensive in a fight between English cousins), and the French who they had beaten up in 2 recent wars were more than happy to join with the upstart colonists (bringing along their friends Netherlands and Spain).

On the other hand, Britain had an unmatched Navy (although they failed to blockade effectively), they had the world's best trained army, more money, more population to conscript, access to Northern German mercenaries, strong support in Loyalist south, and soldiers stationed in major cities.

Well we would say : "stiupid AI, failed to crush the revolt... LOL, ROFL"

Anyway just station 20k in america, and i am sure no revolt will spawn in there.

after 1750, hire a colonial governor advisor and the revolutions wont happen in your american colonies, though you could still lose provinces due to revolutions in colonies held by other nations-to counter this, make sure you own every province in the americas.