• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

iamdanthemansta

Second Lieutenant
37 Badges
Feb 10, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
How exactly are levies from counts and baron's who aren't directly your vassals work? It doesn't seem to be directly affected by laws since they don't get + or - modifiers from your choice of law if you aren't there direct lord. But at the same time you can raise the levies of anyone in your kingdom, so how exactly does it work?

You can raise levies from any of your vassals, including your vassal's vassals. The number of levies you get depends on several things such as kingdom laws, holding prosperity (buildings) and vassal's opinion of you. Im sure there are other factors I just cant think of them right now.

Of course as long as they arent revolting. A Duke that revolts in your kingdom takes his vassals (counts/barons etc.) with him.

Ok back to work...

Edit: Your vassal's vassals are subject to their direct liege's laws, so if your a king and your Duke has feudal levies set to low, you only get what that law setting provides.

It took me a while to find, but a good tooltip to look at is if you hover over the right bar under the picture for a particular barony. It will tell you how big the levy is for that barony, and how many of the troops you will get based on various factors. A vassal's relation toward you is a huge factor in how many of the troops he will let you use.

To specify, I think you need to be in the military tab and hover over your vassals to see how many troops they are giving you and why.

Bad relations make it trickle down to nothinghood. "Gee golly my liege, I sure am sad to have so few soldiers in my employ: I could only spare 18 of them. Have fun fighting the Emperor!"

A baron under one of your vassals isn't effected by your laws, but his liege' laws.

As for levies, then it is the amount of troops you can raise.
This is a text taken from the CK2 manual:
"church levies – This toggle determines the amount of troops that church
vassals are formally obligated to provide."

To specify, I think you need to be in the military tab and hover over your vassals to see how many troops they are giving you and why.

Bad relations make it trickle down to nothinghood. "Gee golly my liege, I sure am sad to have so few soldiers in my employ: I could only spare 18 of them. Have fun fighting the Emperor!"

This is very critical, many people are douches with everyone taking titles here and there, and then when a real crisis sets in you´re on your own. Having a nasty time as Duke of Lombardy because of that, thanks God that I´m married with the fatty duchess of Tuscany :p

Also, don´t forget to build castles as holdings and upgrading them. They give a lovely bonus for raising troops.