• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1114-1118, The family is so friendly

Well after that he became really friendly

really really friendly, if you know what I mean

No?

Well shut up and listen then

First he let out his prisoners, ok it left him with less people to talk to ...

Then him and Colin started knocking back the bevvy

that ended in tears of course

And well he got stuck into Gregarious

Grandfather the children are awake

What do you mean, oh, her real name was Helen

Then Neil and Murdoch got gregarious too ... in a manner of speaking

which was bad timing as Rab decided to be cruel and gregarious ... which wasn't helped when Jimena was a bit peeved by it all:

with some reason

So Rab gets gregarious with Malcolm to off Jimena

and gets seriously gregarious with Helen

and chucks Murdoch a bone so to speak, to keep him happy after his mother's mysterious death

Then the English decide to be gregarious too

I missed a bunch, I see. Glad to see the return of the Mysterious Marshall Fatality syndrome - and marrying into the Crovan family, is that really wise? I guess not, since you went to war with them...

Duke Rab is turning into quite the character with the progression of age: a drunkard, adulterer, kinslayer, child-imprisoner (although to be fair, in hindsight, Neil had it coming to him all along, as proven by his plotting against his father years later). Oh, and cruel to boot.

I'm not too worried about this spat with the English: since the Duke's already successfully beaten the Irish (well, on the battlefield, if not at the negotiating table) and, more importantly, the drunken rabble at home, a few fey Englishmen should not prove any challenge. ;)

Poor Helen, when you marry your mistress you create a job opening....

Note to self; keep well away from anyone named Greig, Gregor or Gregory.

Good stuff as ever, it is no surprise women are throwing themselves at Rab considering his brilliantly manly moustache. This war with England looks interesting, is there any chance you can profit from it?

I missed a bunch, I see. Glad to see the return of the Mysterious Marshall Fatality syndrome - and marrying into the Crovan family, is that really wise? I guess not, since you went to war with them...

Duke Rab is turning into quite the character with the progression of age: a drunkard, adulterer, kinslayer, child-imprisoner (although to be fair, in hindsight, Neil had it coming to him all along, as proven by his plotting against his father years later). Oh, and cruel to boot.

I'm not too worried about this spat with the English: since the Duke's already successfully beaten the Irish (well, on the battlefield, if not at the negotiating table) and, more importantly, the drunken rabble at home, a few fey Englishmen should not prove any challenge. ;)

more to the point, its not one of Rab's provinces that are under debate, and it weakens his rival over in Edinburgh, so ... who cares.

Poor Helen, when you marry your mistress you create a job opening....

Helen actually adopts the second strategy to deal with that problem ... when you've got hold, don't let go

Duke Rab seems to have caught a case of Naughty Duke Disease!

No, its just he's got a particularly impressive broadsword

Note to self; keep well away from anyone named Greig, Gregor or Gregory.

Good stuff as ever, it is no surprise women are throwing themselves at Rab considering his brilliantly manly moustache. This war with England looks interesting, is there any chance you can profit from it?

and the alice band, that too must be attracting them in the droves. Re the war, not really. In part its a defensive war and in CK all you can get out of that is a white peace and a prestige gain. By mainly its being run by my AI-liege and the only way I could intervene would be to raise my own levy or hire some mercenaries. Neither of which I feel the urge to do when the big loser will be Oswald the evil Saxon ruler of Edinburgh.

Rab is going to run out of Scottish dukes to marry off his daughters...

Its more a case of none of his daughters want to hang around in Scotland. I am however, picking up all sorts of useless but interesting claims as a result

1118-1122, cruelty, sex, needless war and an insulted turkey ...

Oh he was a right cruel man in those days, not helped when he realised he should have been the owner of all those nice French wines

Anyway, he also decided if he was going to be really cruel, he needed a new better spy-person [1]. Someone who rattled if shaken [2]

and to keep him from straying, Helen has to work hard ... very hard

& Neil tries to impress Rab by another attempt to kill Murdoch. His case for being seen as cruel and cunning was a bit undermined by using his wife Flora ... Princess Flora that is ... known for being so easy to spread [3]

Well Murdoch just had to live with it ... or not

Especially as for some reason Neil was none too keen to come home to spend some valuable father-son time with Rab

And then he gets his chance to do one over Duke Oswald. He really fancied ruling Edinburgh from Glasgow

First of course he had to wait till Oswald was beaten up by the English

And while he was waiting there was the famous grouse incident [4]

do you mean he was back on the bevvy?

No he was being cruel and grousy

Anyway now we'd surrendered to the English it was time to take revenge and he found some passing Swiss persons who fancied joining in

he was so self-pleased

anyway Oswald was easily beaten

we had such fun, they needed a New Town after we were finished

so he settled down to checking over the inheritence

while waiting for Oswald to get the hint

[5]

[1] – yep Rab had a brief moment of inclusive language
[2] – I'm sure you all get the reference, if not imagine Shaun Connery
[3] – this may not mean anything to non-UK readers, but Flora is a particularly revolting butter substitute, noting for ease with which it can be spread
[4] – I'll sign a product placement deal if any one wants free advertising
[5] – ok, I am confused. He has no other holdings that I can find, he won't get massacred on the battlefield like a man, what can I do to increase my war score?

[5] – ok, I am confused. He has no other holdings that I can find, he won't get massacred on the battlefield like a man, what can I do to increase my war score?

Ridiculously poor form that he won't allow himself to be simply beaten to a pulp by Rab, you'd think he almost wished to survive or something!

A cracking update, I really have to commend Rab on his wise appointment of Patrick as spy master. It's not as if Patrick's armour clanking as he attempts to carry out espionage should prove a problem after all!

he was so self-pleased

So, somehow, once the Duke is utterly full of himself (not to mention so full of it that he could fertilize all the lands plowed for Nikita Krushchev's Virgin Lands Campaign), he loses the 'Ambitious' trait? Does he gain something like the 'Arrogant Bas' one? :)

I see Duke Rab has entered his golden years - it hasn't mellowed him at all, has it? I kinda like Neil - at least he's smart enough to stay the hell away from Daddy's court. ;)

Ridiculously poor form that he won't allow himself to be simply beaten to a pulp by Rab, you'd think he almost wished to survive or something!

A cracking update, I really have to commend Rab on his wise appointment of Patrick as spy master. It's not as if Patrick's armour clanking as he attempts to carry out espionage should prove a problem after all!

I think I solved it, for some reason I'd declared war on the Earl with the Edinburgh not the Duke ... easily solved

Patrick proves quite the little subtle one. Obv its all those suits of armour that hang around in medieval castles made it easy for him to fit in unnoticed?

I think I'm starting to get the knack of the family tree layout... basically on the right you put everyone you exile/murder/marry off or otherwise dispose of, on the left the ones you keep, right?

In the Rab C-family, its a bit easier. Kill or exile the second (& any other) sons, so as to keep the inheritence simple, while the females are disposed of as useful (one or two I keep in the court as they have good stats, otherwise its a case of spreading the genes far and wide)

So, somehow, once the Duke is utterly full of himself (not to mention so full of it that he could fertilize all the lands plowed for Nikita Krushchev's Virgin Lands Campaign), he loses the 'Ambitious' trait? Does he gain something like the 'Arrogant Bas' one? :)

I see Duke Rab has entered his golden years - it hasn't mellowed him at all, has it? I kinda like Neil - at least he's smart enough to stay the hell away from Daddy's court. ;)

Yep, I was a bit disappointed that when I lost being ambitious, as I am after all so big and successful, I didn't get 'insane loopy ruler' (or the Tony Blair trait as its known in the UK) 'cause its just so obvious if I think it, it must be true.

Neil, wierdly is prepared to risk taking on Edinburgh in the next update, but Rab decides he had his chance for father-son bonding so nope, he can live out his life with the wee frees. Actually the Neil-Murdoch dispute is one of the many ways that CK2 is so wonderful. Murdoch gets him out of jail and Neil, directly and indirectly, puts all his effort into killing Murdoch or cutting him out the inheritence.

1122-1126, Edinburgh's status as Scotland's second city is confirmed

Ah Rab, as he got older, well you know.

No.

Well his Alice Band made him look a lot younger, especially with his pony tail and jeans.

I think his wife was called Helen?

don't worry kids he's just getting tired and emotional [1]

Any way, what a skilled tactician he was too.

See, he decided that one war wasn't enough

And while he was at war with Oswald, it seemed natural to arrange for him to be assassinated by his own Court:

So off we all wandered to the East coast again, had a right good stushie, beat 'em all up and this time Oswald crumpled like a little girly with no moustache

Not that Rab saw that as a reason not to keep on with his nice plot

See its all about tactics really ... or violence ... same thing really

Grandfather you're rambling

well so was Neil

He wanted to be boss of Edinburgh for some reason

I mean why?

Then Rab caught the family man flu

Which handily helped keep him out of another war in Ireland

And then while he was showing her his new enlarged demesne

He got in behind Helen's defences again ... he claimed it was a good time for them to discuss Uganda[2]

[1] - one of the stock phrases used by Private Eye (a British satirical magazine) to escape libel charges but to describe someone as drunk.
[2] - same source, 'Ugandan relations' is code for having sex with a non-married partner (or at least not married to each other). it comes from an event in the 1970s when an MP & a journalist were caught in the act, and claimed they were really discussing the problems in Uganda at the time

OK, I knew [1] but didn't know [2]... I'm sure queen Elisabeth must have been shocked/amused at the time that even her precious commonwealth was used for sexual innuendo :)

What happened to the claim on Carrick? Is it still possible to pursue?

But how could Rab discuss Uganda when it doesn't exist yet! :D

Wouldn't it be better to try to claim Dunbar instead of Strathlan and afterwards try and snatch Northumberland? or are you deliberately trying to avoid a land border with the English?

[1] - one of the stock phrases used by Private Eye (a British satirical magazine) to escape libel charges but to describe someone as drunk.
[2] - same source, 'Ugandan relations' is code for having sex with a non-married partner

I did not get those two references; learn something new ever day.

Scientifically proven that Glasgow is miles better than Edinburgh?! Those are fighting words, to war! Oh wait, Rab already won said war for Glasgow. Lets settle this with a game of football then! Uhm, on second thought, maybe not.

Good stuff, glad to see Rab expanding his holdings again, even if it does leave west coast neds holding the refined and far more civilised city of Edinburgh, and Patrick is proving a far better spy master than I expected.

Seconded. Hurrah for education and edification!

It seems that the Edinburgh v. Glasgow comparison has stoked some emotions here... Methinks it's best to lay low for a while, lest I accidentally incur the wrath of an angry Scotsman (or, worse, manage to unite all of them in their hatred of me). :p

So Duke Oswald, after being bested in battle, needed to die because...? Was it his lack of the manly facial hair that condemned him to death? Or is Rab just getting a wee bit vindictive in his old age?

OK, I knew [1] but didn't know [2]... I'm sure queen Elisabeth must have been shocked/amused at the time that even her precious commonwealth was used for sexual innuendo :)
What happened to the claim on Carrick? Is it still possible to pursue?

aye poor wee queenie heh ... Claim on Carrick is valid as I hold the Duchy title, the problem is the Isles have abour twice my army (all those provinces in Ireland) so I have to either have the money to sustain mercenaries or hope they get trashed in a long war - which oddly happens in the next post

But how could Rab discuss Uganda when it doesn't exist yet! :D

Wouldn't it be better to try to claim Dunbar instead of Strathlan and afterwards try and snatch Northumberland? or are you deliberately trying to avoid a land border with the English?

I suppose you could be pedantic and say it did exist, just no one in Glasgow knew where it was ... a state of affairs i fear still persists but I could be wrong.

You're right about Dunbar, soon after I took that screenshot I shifted the focus to fabricate a claim there. If I get it that'll give me all Central Scotland, which in turn will help with dealing with the Crovans in time

Scientifically proven that Glasgow is miles better than Edinburgh?! Those are fighting words, to war! Oh wait, Rab already won said war for Glasgow. Lets settle this with a game of football then! Uhm, on second thought, maybe not.

Good stuff, glad to see Rab expanding his holdings again, even if it does leave west coast neds holding the refined and far more civilised city of Edinburgh, and Patrick is proving a far better spy master than I expected.

Well I suppose we have more bankrupt ill run football clubs than you do? Oh maybe not that either :cool:

He shows her Edinburgh, she gives him a baby.

Sounds like a fair enough swap to me.

yep baby do you want to see my castle is an impressive chat up line ...

Seconded. Hurrah for education and edification!

It seems that the Edinburgh v. Glasgow comparison has stoked some emotions here... Methinks it's best to lay low for a while, lest I accidentally incur the wrath of an angry Scotsman (or, worse, manage to unite all of them in their hatred of me). :p

So Duke Oswald, after being bested in battle, needed to die because...? Was it his lack of the manly facial hair that condemned him to death? Or is Rab just getting a wee bit vindictive in his old age?

nah you can rest assured, we never do united, far too much effort goes into finding a dispute at home ..

Oswald, well, .... well .... basically I had the plot, I'd even signed up his Marshall, just seemed such an utter waste not to off him as a result?

1126-1130, Rab fails to show much moderation

Well after that he got a bit greedy for a while

I mean he managed yet another son, even though he aleady had 3

Nicked Fergus off the Crovans

You just can't have too many men in close fitting metal trousers on your council can you? [1]

And in the meantime the Crovan-boss was caught up in a big war with the Norwegians [2],

He even had more bouts of man flu than was really necessary:

Then Murdoch popped his clogs, rumour has it was trying to unhook his armour using a rusty tin opener

and he really did get on well with Rab II

[3]

to celebrate Murdoch's mistake with the tin opener, he outmanouvered Helen again, now there was a gap in the family tree

and then chucked her in jail

Then when Edward was born

let them both out, strangely everyone thought he was so merciful

And then Neil rather mysteriously, and conveniently, died

And the bishop went bonkers ... handily of course he had a spare jail all ready for him

[1] – which has to be sung to the tune of YMCA?
[2] – my hope is even if he wins, it drags on and he suffers a lot of losses, then I maybe able to take Carrick
[3] – given events in my other AAR, the peacock worries me