• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uh-oh, the Duke of Lothian title passes out of Scottish hands! At least it's a good Saxon boy and not and not a smelly Norman.

Top notch update. The Scots sure have been busy. Seems a bit different than the original CK, where Scotland seemed to be the place to go to do nothing at all except occasionally throw a bit of a wobbly when the English come calling only to end up white peacing your way to safety.

First Rab and now Oswald, your House's gene pool seems to be picking up a large number of harmful genetic traits, all the better for story purposes I assume.

Uh-oh, the Duke of Lothian title passes out of Scottish hands! At least it's a good Saxon boy and not and not a smelly Norman.

Top notch update. The Scots sure have been busy. Seems a bit different than the original CK, where Scotland seemed to be the place to go to do nothing at all except occasionally throw a bit of a wobbly when the English come calling only to end up white peacing your way to safety.

I wonder if in this case the relative fragmentation of England is the key - & relatively unusual looking at other AARs on the board at the moment. In truth Scotland is the largest single power in the region, as is clear in the next update.

oh and the Saxon upstart is pretty quickly dispatched too ...

First Rab and now Oswald, your House's gene pool seems to be picking up a large number of harmful genetic traits, all the better for story purposes I assume.

at the start I wasn't paying too much attention to the Guardianship mechanics, I sort of assumed it was similar to CK1 and thus not that important. Now I realise the trait/nationality inheritence stuff a lot better, I'm now putting a lot more effort into using it for both prestige gain (ie as in 1) and for specific traits.

Some Irish scheming to make up for Fingal's fiasco?

It seems that Duncan is very keen to assert the claims of his minions and all my fellow minions are busily forging claims in Ireland and on the English border. I think it relates to Scotland being the big power so once a claim exists (outside the realm) it can be enforced.

1102-1106, literary matters dominate events

Oh he was very learned you know, spent all his days in elegant debate with his family and neighbours ... a true son of Glasgow

Well his reading was a bit disrupted in the war with the English, but to be fair when Duncan the Cruel suggested popping along for a meeting ... you did tend to pop along [1]

Now while all that was going on, him and his fellow Earls got together to have a nice arcane discussion about inheritence rules.

All very erudite they were, well except they decided that talking was not really that much fun

so they all followed that salad bloke, Waldorf or something foreign, not like our healthy deep fried foods, off to war

And it was at this time that Rab read that he could make himself a Duke [2]

But grandfather what did you do in the war?

Well if it wasn't for me, it would have been different

We won ths big huge battle at Abercorn, and one of my arrows was decisive. There was this Edinburger skulking around the baggage trains ... obviously planning a bit of theft .., well I did for him [3]

But grandfather, wasn't he on our side?

Not after he was dead

Anyway, Murdoch his son, was made the next Commander,

got the nickname little rupert for some reason ... must have been because he looked like a bear?

and was married off to a Crovan to strengthen Rab's claim on the Western Isles

and he was soo ungrateful ... bad as you bunch with his constant whingeings

and in the war we proved that the Edinburgh bunch really have nae ...

Grandfather, the children are still up

... staying power

and then once that was cleared up, he wanted to let wee Neil out, since he could no longer inherit.

But it seemed that now Rab was a Duke he couldn't let out someone he'd imprisoned when he was a mere Earl

bit of a problem for Neil of course, still it was nice that the Bishop was popping in to see him on a regular basis.

Still Rab seemed to take the disappointment of it all in his stride [4]

[1] – one of my fellow Earls managed to get in a claim before mine, but Duncan is pretty keen to claim lands for his underlings.
[2] – not actually sure why this came up now, as I've held Galloway for about 25 years. But the option popped up at the same time as the Civil War so that maybe the explanation.
[3] – result, first war, and my marshall dies, somethings just never change.
[4] – well that was wierdly successful, I'm now up a tier and a direct vassal of the King, we've beaten up Edinburgh and the inheritence laws now make it a lot easier to manage things.

Poor Marshals, still in danger of dying in little, meaningless battles in CK2, same as the original. Every time that happens to me I like to imagine it like so:

fywci.jpg

got the nickname little rupert for some reason ... must have been because he looked like a bear?

:rofl: I assume his ambition is to "amass wealth?"

Turned out quite nicely in the end. Are you sure you want to keep your heir in the dangerous position of marshal? Having said that, in CK2 one can fall off a horse in any job anyway...

well he only had it for a while & he's got better stats than Rab ... so a palace coup would have been no loss

Poor Marshals, still in danger of dying in little, meaningless battles in CK2, same as the original. Every time that happens to me I like to imagine it like so:

fywci.jpg

Every time I see that tackle I cringe. My partner's Dutch so we were in a bar in Glasgow watching the final and the only people in the room supporting the Netherlands ... even so

I had a great fun with CK1 using all the dead and maimed marshalls as a plot device .... hence my delight in it happening again in CK2

:rofl: I assume his ambition is to "amass wealth?"

He's done that and spent it all, at the moment he is a man without ambition ... except to drink a lot

which brings us to ...

1106 - 1110, A traditional Glasgow New years day ... and other events

Hic ... pass us the brew heh lad

Hoc ... ah better out than in is what I say

Hac ... yep, time for another bevvy

Grandfather behave ... and you know the doctor told you to cut down

Well Rab, he hit the booze hard in those days you know

and he started wearing an alice-band as well, claimed it was the latest fashion craze in Italy

Now he reported straight to Duncan the cruel ... suppose if you put it that way it does make sense

I mean he was a man you wanted to keep on the right side of

Perhaps in self-defence he got very interested in having a few more pikes lieing around

The bugger was he expected us to pay for them

Still he was so bladdered [1] he didn't know if he was kind or stressed

and then Murdoch asked for his wee brother to be let out of jail (now he couldn't inherit anything)

But Neil remained a bit hard to spot, especially after he was sent off to the wee frees [2] up in Stornoway

Then his Rab-ness (with his girly alice-band) popped off for another free lunch

And since we were all bevvied up from the New Year party ... well starting a revolt just seemed the obvious thing to do really

[1] – drunk
[2] – a strange and wonderful religious group still to be found all over the Western Isles

Cracking updates. Impressive that his Rab-ness has now become a Duke and already seems to be getting into the swing of things, imprisoning his own children (thankfully Neil is now released), losing marshals in battles which hugely favour his side, getting as legless as possible at every opportunity and continuing to simply laugh as his steward is constantly given a right good kicking. Truly a brilliant ruler!

and he started wearing an alice-band as well, claimed it was the latest fashion craze in Italy

I Love cross AAR references!

1,000 rebels? That's quite a lot... danger ahead?

well fortunately my mate King Dunc the psycho (known to his close friends as Duncan Disorderly) does a number on them for me

Cracking updates. Impressive that his Rab-ness has now become a Duke and already seems to be getting into the swing of things, imprisoning his own children (thankfully Neil is now released), losing marshals in battles which hugely favour his side, getting as legless as possible at every opportunity and continuing to simply laugh as his steward is constantly given a right good kicking. Truly a brilliant ruler!

I was so impressed to become a Duke ... I still don't know why or how

and I was sooooo pleased to get a dead marshall, it seems just quite correct in one of my CK AARs

King Duncan is getting quite old, is his heir worthy to inherit his father's feasts (and indeed Scotland)?

he doesn't survive the next update, but his son is also one for the annual knees up and bevvy

I Love cross AAR references!

it was too good to miss, esp as I'd been wittering about the Alice band in Naggy's AAR

which leads us to:

1110-1114, Rab feels challenged

Well Rab, yeah he was moody and stressed

I'm sure it had nothing to do with our wee street party but

When the polis arrived we all scarpered off

Then Edward sort of showed him up a bit

and that just led to more trouble. Him and Harold got into some sort of competition about who had the most manly alice band, or the longest moustache. Something serious anyway

Rab, very generously put Murdoch in charge

and off we all trotted to Ayr [1]

Rab's daughter Alice got out of it ... felt it was safer to live somewhere no one wore alice bands

should have checked out the groom's father really

Then Rab panicked, hired these blokes with strange stripy jumpers:

and for a while it went all so well

victories, prisoners, you name it

even time to play with his nice shiny long lance

then he ran out of cash

and the onion boys changed sides

so in the circumstances, he told Murdoch to go and tell Harold that he agreed ... Harold's alice band was indeed the most impressive

and then Duncan Disorderly the Cruel overdid the bevvy

[1] – at this stage all Crovan troops are having some sort of war in Ireland

and I was sooooo pleased to get a dead marshall, it seems just quite correct in one of my CK AARs

I cannot agree more. If there isn't at least one marshal suffering a horrible fate it simply isn't a loki CK AAR!

Rather bruising stuff in this update, the defeat against Harald seems a sore one. Quite ridiculous too really, Rab clearly has the better moustache!

A raging alcoholic slowly gathering his strength. For McNabb!

Forget the stone of destiny, it's all about the alice band of destiny!

Indeed, the stone scone stuff is obviously tosh, medieval history was really all about who had the best alice band

I cannot agree more. If there isn't at least one marshal suffering a horrible fate it simply isn't a loki CK AAR!

Rather bruising stuff in this update, the defeat against Harald seems a sore one. Quite ridiculous too really, Rab clearly has the better moustache!

I think I've learnt its a good idea to dismiss your mercenaries before you actually run out of money ....

A raging alcoholic slowly gathering his strength. For McNabb!

welcome aboard, well he sobers up enough to be friendly in the next update ... he probably was safer to have in charge when he was drunk