• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

robc04

First Lieutenant
86 Badges
Mar 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 200k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Hello again,

I just conquered a county after manufacturing a claim. I got the warning message on top now that states 'Title Loss On Succession' for my new aquisition. Why is that? Why wouldn't my heir just inherit that title, just like my original county?

Thanks

Edit: Is it because with gavelkind the heir only gets the primary title? The new title would go to another son so the new dynasty head wouldn't have it?

Gavelkind "splits" the realm on succession, meaning all possible heirs get counties and the appropriate claims handed to them once you die. This isn't actually that bad, unless you have more than one of your highest claims. For example if you happen to be King of France and Italy with gavelkind succession, one of your heirs will get to be King of Italy and the other King of France. If you only have one king title, one heir gets to be king and the others get to be dukes and thus his vassals. The same holds true for the duke -> count level, of course.

On a related note...
I just changed it to Primogeniture so I could have my ruler keep both titles. Of course that pissed off one of my sons. My current eldest son is kind of a bonehead. Is the only way to prevent him from inheriting the current ruler's titles to assassinate him (or get him killed in some other way)? What if I had the eldest son arrested? Would the next guy in line inherit the titles then? Is there any other way to make the eldest son not inherit with primogeniture?

Thanks

I think you can make him a bishop by giving him a church fief to govern, thus he won't inherit. This applies to the demo however, dunno if they changed it for the full game.

I think you can make him a bishop by giving him a church fief to govern, thus he won't inherit. This applies to the demo however, dunno if they changed it for the full game.

Decided to test if that still applied. The button grays out, and the message "Cannot disinherit an heir by making him a bishop!" appears.

You can get the title loss on succession in other ways. I had a situation where my king's brother was ruling a duchy under me - he had no sons and his daughter was going to inherit. His other daughter was married off to a foreign count, and when he died, she became heir to a county. She was the count, but all her heirs were the sons she had with the foreign count so I got the warning that when the king died, the county would no longer be part of my kingdom. Also, for some reason, at that point I couldn't revoke her title!