Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't we play Muslims or pagans?

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy2000 View Post
    You can play muslims and pagans. You just have to cheat. :P

I've usurped and expanded Sweden's borders as Erik the Heathen in my current game. Open the console (alt+21 on numpad for me) and type play and then the character id of whatever pagan you want to play as. And I've heard you can do it by save game editing too, although I haven't tried that personally.
    The problem with that is figuring out the id of the character you want.

Second Lieutenant Comintern1919's Avatar
    Sengoku

So, this is now, like, the 6th or 7th thread, at least, about not being able to play muslims and pagans. Do people never think of, y'know, searching for an answer before asking? There may be a slight chance that your question is already answered.

I bet people will ask even after the game is out for months...

But honestly, what do you think the search button is for? Just to look nice? Have you even bothered to read anything about the game? Because, if so, you'd knew you can't play muslims, as it was said countless of times.
    Last edited by Comintern1919; 15-02-2012 at 08:01.
    Nationality: German
    Religion: Interested in Buddhism and Daoism
    Ideology: Communist, Leninist
    Vote: DKP Deutsche Kommunistische Partei (German Communist Party)
    Issues: Anti-Military, Planned Economy, Anti-Stalinism, Anti-Maoism

Quote Originally Posted by Comradebot View Post
    They did fix it, was the first thing I tried (wanted to be a Pagan!)

Sorry, can't be a Muslim quite yet. I'd wager it gets modded soon, and they'll likely get full-fledged and fleshed-out DLC from Paradox at some point.
    Its actually hard coded in, so no modding it in sadly.

Crusader Kings IISengoku

I'm actually going to try seeing what happens when I install a pagan ruler onto a Christian player character dynasty.
    WritAAr of the Week: October 13th, 2006
    Best Character Writer of the Week: April 11th, 2007
    The Recluse and the Meta (CK2) (Ongoing)
    -Weekly AAR Showcase: October 27th, 2013
    The Beautiful Girl and the History Class (CK) (Completed)
    -Winner of the 2008 Illustrious PewtAAR Cup
    -Weekly AAR Showcase: May 27th, 2007
    -Favorite Narrative AAR (CK) AARland Choice Awards 2x Winner
    -Favorite Overall AAR (CK) AARland Choice Awards 2007 Q3

If you want to see what it would be like, play as Byzantium. It's a copypaste of feudal Western Europe. Now think about it, do you really want that kind of misrepresentation for countries even further removed from Western feudalism?

On Double Secret Probation Comradebot's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comintern1919 View Post
    So, this is now, like, the 6th or 7th thread, at least, about not being able to play muslims and pagans. Do people never think of, y'know, searching for an answer before asking? There may be a slight chance that your question is already answered.

But honestly, what do you think the search button is for? Just to look nice? Have you even bothered to read anything about the game? Because, if so, you'd knew you can't play muslims, as it was said countless of times.
    Hopefully Paradox gets the hint: we wanna go on Jihads and spread the glory of Odin!

Hopefully Paradox gets the hint: we wanna go on Jihads and spread the glory of Odin!
    Go play Total War, this is a game about feudalism.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vamp View Post
    Go play Total War, this is a game about feudalism.
    Or they could, I dunno, world on DLC/x-pac that makes this a reality? "Go play another game" doesn't prevent folks from wishing to have a feature in a game that wouldn't cause any other issues with the rest of the game (other than the time it'd take for Paradox to do it).

Or they could, I dunno, world on DLC/x-pac that makes this a reality? "Go play another game" doesn't prevent folks from wishing to have a feature in a game that wouldn't cause any other issues with the rest of the game (other than the time it'd take for Paradox to do it).
    No, because these are fundamental gameplay mechanics. Feudalism (specifically Christian feudalism) is literally the idea around which this game was built. You're better off asking for Jihad Sultans than creating endless threads about changing the hardcoded structure of Crusader Kings II.
    Last edited by Lord Vamp; 15-02-2012 at 08:19.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight

The time it would take them is exactly why we can't. I imagine the chances of such a DLC depends on how well the game sells, and how much demand there is. Unlike the DLC we've seen so far (all two of them), this sort of thing would take significant resources, and making sure it can be implemented in such a way that allows it to still use a standard patch will limit what they can do.

Blog Entries
    I'd argue the very fact we could use Muslims/Pagans in the demo (using the ol' click exploit) is some reasoning that we could see them playable in the future (not to mention there's event dialogue already in-game that you can only see while using non-Christians, and can be seen in the demo if you use one of em).

I understand they aren't the feudal system, I get that. Doesn't change the fact that in THIS game it'd be fun to play, even if they had to compromise based on their limitations. I don't think too many folks would complain that it isn't 100% accuracte to Muslim society if the choice was either that or not being able to use those regions at all.

200k clubCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Making pagans and muslims playable (and not just playing like a feudal relam with a different religion) takes a lot of resources. But maybe Paradox will make an expansion at some point that allows for this.

It was left out, as there was not time to create the correct implementation of how muslim and pagan realms worked at that time. They would want the feel of playing a muslim country, to be different than playing a feudal christian.
    I love my copy of CK so much, I am thinking of marrying it

New Paradox games icons ... get some new cool game icons for your PI games. (of course now updated with CKII icon )

I'd much rather they devoted resources to fixing or enhancing what they've already made available than embarking on a wild deviation from the original intentions of the game complete with "compromises" (shudder). They've already made many compromises to make even Western Europe work. If they are going to extend the game mechanics beyond Western feudalism, the first thing that needs a major overhaul is Byzantium and even other Eastern European nations.
    Last edited by Lord Vamp; 15-02-2012 at 08:34.

Project Lead EU4 Paradox Dev Team Besuchov's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Galactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIILost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband

For the originial game we focused on getting the Christian world right, for the future...who knows.

Merged threads, we dont need more than one thread on the same thing.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vamp View Post
    I'd much rather they devoted resources to fixing or enhancing what they've already made available than embarking on a wild deviation from the original intentions of the game complete with "compromises" (shudder). They've already made many compromises to make even Western Europe work. If they are going to extend the game mechanics beyond Western feudalism, the first thing that needs a major overhaul is Byzantium and even other Eastern European nations.
    I THINK paradox has enough resources to work on more than one thing at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Cityinthesea View Post
    I THINK paradox has enough resources to work on more than one thing at a time...
    Every dev studio (every organization, period) runs on time, cash, and staff restraints. The larger the project the more resources consumed. Changing the game to accommodate Muslim/pagan characters would be a very large project in every sense of the word.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Comintern1919 View Post

Well these are all the same people who couldn't be bothered to actually check what the game they were buying was about. What do you expect?

I have no pity for them, none at all.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight

To be honest, I didn't expect a perfectly accurate portrayal of the non-Christian world. I get that the game will have an emphasis on decentralization and holy war no matter who you play as.

But some more gameplay attention for them wouldn't hurt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigj_a View Post
    Well these are all the same people who couldn't be bothered to actually check what the game they were buying was about. What do you expect?

I have no pity for them, none at all.
    In all fairness, I think the bug/exploit in the demo might've a thrown a few folks. Yes, people should've checked beforehand, but then you have plenty of folks with firsthand knowledge that it was easily doable to play as a Pagan or Muslim ruler in the demo. When you hear "Yeah, then why was I able to load up a Muslim leader?", well, it can cast some doubts.

Still, people shouldn't be shocked by it, because the information was out there. Totally cool to be sad you can't and wish that you could, though, so long as you understood from the get go that it wasn't going to happen. Doesn't change the fact it's a fantastic game, even if I can't live my dream of spreading the glory of Odin across Europe.

Dudes waith, it will come in Dlc's or maybe someone will mod that. If they not put them as playable, they have their reasons. Lack of events, decisions, laws etc.

But the game its still HUGE to have fun, even with this little issue.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast