• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestor

King of Spades
28 Badges
Jun 24, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I'm stunned at this decision. It frankly makes no sense to me and I'm quite angry about it.

I'm stunned at this decision. It frankly makes no sense to me and I'm quite angry about it.

The events and game mechanics are centered around Christian feudal politics (and they didn't have time/money to make separate systems for Muslims). It's a choice of having Muslims and pagans off-limits or having them act suspiciously like Christians in every respect. Paradox chose the former. I'm pretty sure you can mod it to make them selectable easily, though.

If that's the case then it's understandable and I'd be fine paying for the DLC. Just had a horrendous Valentine's Day and a bunch of horrible stuff happened all at once and the shock of not being able to play Muslims and pagans about made me snap.

If that's the case then it's understandable and I'd be fine paying for the DLC. Just had a horrendous Valentine's Day and a bunch of horrible stuff happened all at once and the shock of not being able to play Muslims and pagans about made me snap.

They were very open, from very early on, that Muslims and pagans would not be playable.

That is the problem now days with the way gaming is going. Once you would have downloaded a major patch getting them or they would have been released with the game. Now many features are purposely left out for DLC like the crap they released on the first day.

Though, they went out early that they would get a DLC system so that you could get the things you wanted for the game and ignore the ones you didn't like. And Crusader Kings has never been about ruling a muslim or pagan dynasty, it has been about the christan feudal system.

The base price of the game is $10-$20 lower than most AAA titles. Just think of it like getting a discount on the base game, and then using that money you saved on whichever DLC you like. Or just wait for the mods. It's not like other games that start at $60 and then charge obscene amounts for dozens of little DLCs. (looking at you Saints Row 3 and WH40k Space Marine). PI usually drops the price on their expansions by 50% after a few months anyway.

You're stunned by something that was true in the original game, and was announced way back at the beginning of the game's development? I mean, disapointed, sure, but surprised?

I was a little surprised to discover this, but it's not at all unreasonable for a game called "Crusaider Kings" to be limited to Christendom. Muslim politics and social structer was very foreign to that of Europe. It would be a whole different game.

Sorry for the bad day... but yeah the ability to play them was not in CK1 or ever planned for CK2 release. It is generally assumed that the first DLC will probably be a muslim expansion though...

You can play muslims and pagans. You just have to cheat. :p

I've usurped and expanded Sweden's borders as Erik the Heathen in my current game. Open the console (alt+21 on numpad for me) and type play and then the character id of whatever pagan you want to play as. And I've heard you can do it by save game editing too, although I haven't tried that personally.

Not allowed to play Muslim countries?

So, I was in the mood to play as the Ottomans, but after selecting them I was told I wasn't allowed to play as them. The same with other Muslim countries, what is up with this?!

Sorry for the bad day... but yeah the ability to play them was not in CK1 or ever planned for CK2 release. It is generally assumed that the first DLC will probably be a muslim expansion though...

True, Muslims and Pagans have been unplayable since 2004, so it's hardly a news anymore that you can't play as one. And I wouldn't expect DLC anytime soon, because like some Paradox staff members have said it would require whole lot of work to make Muslims properly playable. You would have to make new game mechanics and event cycles for them etc.

The game is called "Crusader Kings", while there is rumor of some DLC unlocking them coming out later, the mechanics of the game are based on the feudal system common in the Christian world.

In the demo you could work around the restrictions by choosing a playable country, clicking the "play" button, and then clicking on another, unplayable, region before the game loads.
I don't know if they fixed that or not. I doubt it.

The game is called "Crusader Kings", while there is rumor of some DLC unlocking them coming out later, the mechanics of the game are based on the feudal system common in the Christian world.

In the demo you could work around the restrictions by choosing a playable country, clicking the "play" button, and then clicking on another, unplayable, region before the game loads.
I don't know if they fixed that or not. I doubt it.

They did fix it, was the first thing I tried (wanted to be a Pagan!)

Sorry, can't be a Muslim quite yet. I'd wager it gets modded soon, and they'll likely get full-fledged and fleshed-out DLC from Paradox at some point.

I'm pretty sure they've said you can continue to play if your character becomes muslim, as long as you start out as a christian. So you could try to start up a game when the Ottomans appear, save immediately, and edit the save.

Of course, you won't have many events.

Status
Not open for further replies.