• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can play muslims and pagans. You just have to cheat. :p

I've usurped and expanded Sweden's borders as Erik the Heathen in my current game. Open the console (alt+21 on numpad for me) and type play and then the character id of whatever pagan you want to play as. And I've heard you can do it by save game editing too, although I haven't tried that personally.
The problem with that is figuring out the id of the character you want. ;)

So, this is now, like, the 6th or 7th thread, at least, about not being able to play muslims and pagans. Do people never think of, y'know, searching for an answer before asking? There may be a slight chance that your question is already answered.

I bet people will ask even after the game is out for months...

But honestly, what do you think the search button is for? Just to look nice? Have you even bothered to read anything about the game? Because, if so, you'd knew you can't play muslims, as it was said countless of times.

Last edited:
I'm actually going to try seeing what happens when I install a pagan ruler onto a Christian player character dynasty.

If you want to see what it would be like, play as Byzantium. It's a copypaste of feudal Western Europe. Now think about it, do you really want that kind of misrepresentation for countries even further removed from Western feudalism?

So, this is now, like, the 6th or 7th thread, at least, about not being able to play muslims and pagans. Do people never think of, y'know, searching for an answer before asking? There may be a slight chance that your question is already answered.

But honestly, what do you think the search button is for? Just to look nice? Have you even bothered to read anything about the game? Because, if so, you'd knew you can't play muslims, as it was said countless of times.

Hopefully Paradox gets the hint: we wanna go on Jihads and spread the glory of Odin!

Go play Total War, this is a game about feudalism.

Or they could, I dunno, world on DLC/x-pac that makes this a reality? "Go play another game" doesn't prevent folks from wishing to have a feature in a game that wouldn't cause any other issues with the rest of the game (other than the time it'd take for Paradox to do it).

Or they could, I dunno, world on DLC/x-pac that makes this a reality? "Go play another game" doesn't prevent folks from wishing to have a feature in a game that wouldn't cause any other issues with the rest of the game (other than the time it'd take for Paradox to do it).
No, because these are fundamental gameplay mechanics. Feudalism (specifically Christian feudalism) is literally the idea around which this game was built. You're better off asking for Jihad Sultans than creating endless threads about changing the hardcoded structure of Crusader Kings II.

Last edited:
The time it would take them is exactly why we can't. I imagine the chances of such a DLC depends on how well the game sells, and how much demand there is. Unlike the DLC we've seen so far (all two of them), this sort of thing would take significant resources, and making sure it can be implemented in such a way that allows it to still use a standard patch will limit what they can do.

I'd argue the very fact we could use Muslims/Pagans in the demo (using the ol' click exploit) is some reasoning that we could see them playable in the future (not to mention there's event dialogue already in-game that you can only see while using non-Christians, and can be seen in the demo if you use one of em).

I understand they aren't the feudal system, I get that. Doesn't change the fact that in THIS game it'd be fun to play, even if they had to compromise based on their limitations. I don't think too many folks would complain that it isn't 100% accuracte to Muslim society if the choice was either that or not being able to use those regions at all.

Making pagans and muslims playable (and not just playing like a feudal relam with a different religion) takes a lot of resources. But maybe Paradox will make an expansion at some point that allows for this.

It was left out, as there was not time to create the correct implementation of how muslim and pagan realms worked at that time. They would want the feel of playing a muslim country, to be different than playing a feudal christian.

I'd much rather they devoted resources to fixing or enhancing what they've already made available than embarking on a wild deviation from the original intentions of the game complete with "compromises" (shudder). They've already made many compromises to make even Western Europe work. If they are going to extend the game mechanics beyond Western feudalism, the first thing that needs a major overhaul is Byzantium and even other Eastern European nations.

Last edited:
For the originial game we focused on getting the Christian world right, for the future...who knows.

Merged threads, we dont need more than one thread on the same thing.

I'd much rather they devoted resources to fixing or enhancing what they've already made available than embarking on a wild deviation from the original intentions of the game complete with "compromises" (shudder). They've already made many compromises to make even Western Europe work. If they are going to extend the game mechanics beyond Western feudalism, the first thing that needs a major overhaul is Byzantium and even other Eastern European nations.

I THINK paradox has enough resources to work on more than one thing at a time...

I THINK paradox has enough resources to work on more than one thing at a time...
Every dev studio (every organization, period) runs on time, cash, and staff restraints. The larger the project the more resources consumed. Changing the game to accommodate Muslim/pagan characters would be a very large project in every sense of the word.

Well these are all the same people who couldn't be bothered to actually check what the game they were buying was about. What do you expect?

I have no pity for them, none at all.

To be honest, I didn't expect a perfectly accurate portrayal of the non-Christian world. I get that the game will have an emphasis on decentralization and holy war no matter who you play as.

But some more gameplay attention for them wouldn't hurt.

Well these are all the same people who couldn't be bothered to actually check what the game they were buying was about. What do you expect?

I have no pity for them, none at all.

In all fairness, I think the bug/exploit in the demo might've a thrown a few folks. Yes, people should've checked beforehand, but then you have plenty of folks with firsthand knowledge that it was easily doable to play as a Pagan or Muslim ruler in the demo. When you hear "Yeah, then why was I able to load up a Muslim leader?", well, it can cast some doubts.

Still, people shouldn't be shocked by it, because the information was out there. Totally cool to be sad you can't and wish that you could, though, so long as you understood from the get go that it wasn't going to happen. Doesn't change the fact it's a fantastic game, even if I can't live my dream of spreading the glory of Odin across Europe.

Dudes waith, it will come in Dlc's or maybe someone will mod that. If they not put them as playable, they have their reasons. Lack of events, decisions, laws etc.

But the game its still HUGE to have fun, even with this little issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.