• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dZfuRAE.jpg

This is the first time I have seen a Norway ai successfully invade England. Whats especially unusual about this one is that it was Norway, not England that successfully rebelled from Harald right after he took the country.

Not to brag, but in an earlier version of CK2+ it was possible to get France, England and the HRE as William.

Of course it would immediately implode, but it was nice for those couple of weeks that I had it.
Just curious, how would you go about acquiring the HRE? I understand France/England as William, there are quite a few ways to do that, but how you would proceed to get a claim on the HRE is... I can't figure it out.

I'm at 1211 and Pisa and Genoa are all the way up into Iceland. Seems to happen in a flash.

Yeah, his game probably had a lot of embargo wars. That can really slow them down if they lose a huge swath of coast. My last one netted me 6000 (monetary units?). I want to say 80 trade posts were burned? It was a huge amount, at any rate.

1 - Marry a German Princess
2 - Have children
3 - Children get claim
4 - Profit (?)

In some other thread a poster was claiming that starting with a no-traits HRE count it was trivially done in 20 years without inheritance, thanks to mercenaries. I still don't understand how it's done, just because - how do you get that many CBs?

dZfuRAE.jpg

This is the first time I have seen a Norway ai successfully invade England. Whats especially unusual about this one is that it was Norway, not England that successfully rebelled from Harald right after he took the country.
I have actually seen this happen almost every time Norway wins England. Ynglings keep England but get kicked out of Norway. After this, England will usually turn into what is, as far as I can tell, a *permanent* clusterfuck because the Ynglings won't have Norway to back them up so they will be rulers of a 100% foreign populace. Then it will endlessly go between Saxons and Norwegians, or Saxons, Norwegians, and Normans if Harald wins it from William.

That is exactly what happened.

It is now 1187, since Harald took the throne, we have had 17 kings, from 6 different dynasties (Godwin, Normandy, Wessex, Hwice, Gysting, and Yngling) The longest a King has sat the throne was 17 years, and only 4 of them have ruled for more then 10 years. Of the 17 kings 5 of them have died rotting in the jails of their successor, and 7 of them have died on the battlefield.

Edit make that 18 rulers: The Normandy have just usurped King Earled Hwice. But Wessex is already in open arms about it.

Edit 2: The Ynlings are back in power. But Normandy, Hwice and Gysting are in open arms. The Wessex dynasty leader is now female so they will probably be quite till she dies (at least I think so)

Last edited:
In a 3-way war (as in each of the 3 duchies/kingdoms were at war with the other 2), all 3 leaders were captured by one another simultaneously.
Harold of Bedford is imprisoned by William the conquer
William of Normandy is imprisoned by King Svend II of Denmark
King Svend II of Denmark is imprisoned by Harold of Bedford

LSzs5D0.jpg

rnDlMhx.jpg

QMmGzEa.jpg

lol good stuff right there...wonder what the AI is thinking in its little head on how to sort that out :)

It is now 1187, since Harald took the throne, we have had 17 kings, from 6 different dynasties (Godwin, Normandy, Wessex, Hwice, Gysting, and Yngling) The longest a King has sat the throne was 17 years, and only 4 of them have ruled for more then 10 years. Of the 17 kings 5 of them have died rotting in the jails of their successor, and 7 of them have died on the battlefield.

Edit make that 18 rulers: The Normandy have just usurped King Earled Hwice. But Wessex is already in open arms about it.

Edit 2: The Ynlings are back in power. But Normandy, Hwice and Gysting are in open arms. The Wessex dynasty leader is now female so they will probably be quite till she dies (at least I think so)

Mmmmmm, the chaos, it is delicious...

But seriously, England turns into a similar clusterfuck in over half of my games. In fact, pretty much the only times it doesn't are when I'm playing a saxon lord in England and I wack good 'ol William after he's beaten down his competitors, leaving his incompetent son to rule. That usually leads to Harold or his son Magnus reclaiming the kingdom. I've never seen Norway win while playing in England, so I'm not sure what I would do in that situation...

In a 3-way war (as in each of the 3 duchies/kingdoms were at war with the other 2), all 3 leaders were captured by one another simultaneously.
Harold of Bedford is imprisoned by William the conquer
William of Normandy is imprisoned by King Svend II of Denmark
King Svend II of Denmark is imprisoned by Harold of Bedford

LSzs5D0.jpg

rnDlMhx.jpg

QMmGzEa.jpg

This is amazing. What will happen now?

I've never seen Norway win while playing in England, so I'm not sure what I would do in that situation...
You don't do much, Norway will lose control of England after a while. Then the English lords will have 200 wars for the throne, providing opportunistic lords with ample openings for expansion in England. It is also a good period to have a claim on the throne as some small faction will likely rise invoking your claim (because the king and lords have exhausted each other it should be a cakewalk).

So, after all the horror stories about blobs, imbalance and Fatimids, I finally got CK2 and let it run for a day in observer mode. And nothing odd happened.
Well, except... Pisa into space - dominated the trade and conquered Mali, which later became an independent republic. Byzantine evaporated, then reappeared, controlled by Germans and all Catholic, later to be absorbed into HRE. HRE itself did nothing throughout the game, accidentally inherited half-Norwegian England, then lost it again. All three hordes came, mopped up the Arabs and Rus. In the end only a few provinces west of former Kiev remained Orthodox on the entire map.

First... this successor of Fatimids gave me countless giggles through sheer combination of name and location.

Maybe they even had a pigeon carrier fleet...

And here's Mario I of Mali. Shame, it's 1444 and I didn't get to see how things are going for a landlocked republic.

BTW, that Tripolitania? Also a republic. Pisa fell apart in style.

The only playable character in this Mali is a 22 y.o. pregnant countess married to her 62 y.o. uncle. Such a sweet couple...

You don't do much, Norway will lose control of England after a while. Then the English lords will have 200 wars for the throne, providing opportunistic lords with ample openings for expansion in England. It is also a good period to have a claim on the throne as some small faction will likely rise invoking your claim (because the king and lords have exhausted each other it should be a cakewalk).
Now convert the game over to EUIII a run it there and see what happens

ck2_3.png

Hrm, poor kid...oh well, he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

In all seriousness, is this normal? I haven't played the game that much, and only recently starting plotting a bit.

Please upload a save file of the delicious carnage, if possible.